Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #191
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
That's the idea, although after reading the 1st book, I may be tempted to just keep on reading.
I hear ya on that. I think I'll be able to resist though as I love experiencing things on screen so much more than the written page, especially when the narrative is handled as well as HBO has done here.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #192
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I hear ya on that. I think I'll be able to resist though as I love experiencing things on screen so much more than the written page, especially when the narrative is handled as well as HBO has done here.
True dat!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #193
Mean Green
Fantomah

I'm like a bunch of you on here... LOVE the show. Definitely plan on reading the books when it's all said and done... just don't know if I should wait until the series finishes or if I should read ahead? From the sound of things, it doesn't look like I'll be able to just read one book and wait for the next season...

Those of you that have read the books, is there any part of you that wishes you hadn't (no matter how tiny a part)? Do you think the show would be more enjoyable had you (1) not known what's going to happen, and (2) not have to constantly compare the show to the books? Though it does sound like most who have read it are very happy with the adaptation.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #194
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I'm like a bunch of you on here... LOVE the show. Definitely plan on reading the books when it's all said and done... just don't know if I should wait until the series finishes or if I should read ahead? From the sound of things, it doesn't look like I'll be able to just read one book and wait for the next season...

Those of you that have read the books, is there any part of you that wishes you hadn't (no matter how tiny a part)? Do you think the show would be more enjoyable had you (1) not known what's going to happen, and (2) not have to constantly compare the show to the books? Though it does sound like most who have read it are very happy with the adaptation.
I'm thrilled with the adaptation, but am a bit jealous of people who will get to experience some of the big surprises for the first time on TV. My only complaints about the series have been very tiny nitpicky things because I compare to the books. On the other side of the coin, I think there are some ways that the series actually improves on the books.

So in some ways I do think it is better to watch the show first...but I enjoy the books so much I would never recommend not reading them. Particularly the third one, I love to hear peoples reaction to it so I want them to get to reading it.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #195
Mean Green
Fantomah

Thanks for the insight SVD! I'm going to have to think about it... I don't know if I can wait 3-5 years to read the series after everyone's raving reviews for it. What a predicament..

You said the series isn't even finished yet, right? Books that is.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #196
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
Particularly the third one, I love to hear peoples reaction to it so I want them to get to reading it.
Stop it!! I'm trying to not read ahead of the series!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #197
Marvelito

I do have one spoilerish question in regards to the books, which if you feel answering it would be too much of a spoiler, then you can pm me the answer.

Do the books pick up the story close to where each previous book ends, or do they jump ahead years into the future? In other words, are we following the same set of characters for the most part from book to book, or do we delve into subsequent generations?

Just curious.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #198
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Thanks for the insight SVD! I'm going to have to think about it... I don't know if I can wait 3-5 years to read the series after everyone's raving reviews for it. What a predicament..

You said the series isn't even finished yet, right? Books that is.
Yeah the books aren't done yet. The writer is notoriously slow, so hopefully the series success gets him to get to finishing it.
Quote:
Stop it!! I'm trying to not read ahead of the series!
That's just me being passive aggressive. "You should totally wait to read the books until after...but the third one is soooo good."
Quote:
I do have one spoilerish question in regards to the books, which if you feel answering it would be too much of a spoiler, then you can pm me the answer.

Do the books pick up the story close to where each previous book ends, or do they jump ahead years into the future? In other words, are we following the same set of characters for the most part from book to book, or do we delve into subsequent generations?

Just curious.
If anyone thinks this is spoilerish don't read ::SPOILER:: ::SPOILER::

The pick up pretty much where the last left off. We don't get to see the next generations fighting it out. Until the next series maybe.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #199
patrickwm68
The Flash

Funny, I started this thread and I've only seen the first 2 episodes so far, LOL.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #200
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Funny, I started this thread and I've only seen the first 2 episodes so far, LOL.
wuz a matter wit you Pat? Turn off Camelot, get with the program and watch these.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote