Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #191
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Looks nice but the concept is a bit similar to iron studios.. spidey swinging away from doctor octopus tentacles and goblin's pumpkin bombs.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #192
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuz30 View Post
Looks nice but the concept is a bit similar to iron studios.. spidey swinging away from doctor octopus tentacles and goblin's pumpkin bombs.
There are scorpion, sandman and venom switch out parts. Don´t forget battle damage Spidey on arm / leg and the two heads.

It´s far away from Iron Studios. Just because IS showed it first means not it was the first concept.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #193
IzeroI
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The villain switch outs are a very nice touch. For a person like me who will probably only have 1 or 2 XM villains (due to second hand pricing) it's nice to know I can swap out the parts to fit the Villain.

After owning the IS Spidey for a short time before having to destroy it I can confidently say these two statues won't be in the same ball park when it's all said and done. Not even close.
IzeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #194
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Well, he didn't really say IS developed the concept first, just that they are similar. I think the concepts are kinda similar, but execution is very different. I'm personally not the biggest fan of either.

This Spider looks good, but the rest of the line is so great that it makes this look just "normal". In my opinion they could really improve the base, since it takes a lot of the atention of the piece and it's very generic. I prefer the MJ/Spider statue, but I'm still excited to see how this one will look after painting is done.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #195
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Well, he didn't really say IS developed the concept first, just that they are similar.
And i never said he said it, was just my thought.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #196
Jack's Username
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
I just wish the base had a new york theme
Very much agreed. And I'd just leave it at that.

Personally, I think the idea of trying to cram a bunch of references to his rogues gallery into the base is a little overused at this point.

I understand that he has a great lineup, but they mostly have their own XM statues. Somehow Batman, despite his equally iconic villains, doesn't suffer from this same design concept.
Jack's Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #197
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Biggest difference I think is that Spidey has a lot more potential with different poses and is a lot more athletic, so it makes sense for companies to explore this. He really needs to have a dynamic pose most of the time and using villains weapons to create a scene is one way to do that, a lot better than making him dodge something more generic for exemple. It's a lot easier to make a museum Batman statue, without any interaction with the base.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #198
Jack's Username
Nightwing

Eh, to each their own, I guess. I don't think it's a coincidence that the first Sideshow comiquette is so iconic. The latest SS PF is equally incredible, with the lone compliant usually being, you guessed it, the explosion on the base. There are other ways to explore dynamism.

I'd also add that, for me, NYC is a more important character component and symbol than the use of any one specific villain element. That's why I made the comparison with Batman. They both have the two best rogues galleries, but their cities define them. I just prefer an urban or architectural base.
Jack's Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #199
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

I 100% agree with you actually. I'm just saying what I think is most companies mindset when approaching a Spider Man statue.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #200
adee
Green Arrow

While I always appreciate the art work and concepts of XM statues some of them go a little to far into diorama for my taste. The base elements make this very large and difficult for me to display so it's not something that fits in my collection but I do look forward to seeing it painted as I think it's a very cool looking piece .

So far of the XM Spider-verse Electro and Lizard have been my favorites.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote