Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #2011
Rotties4ever
Fantastic Four

Thankyou for posting the pictures.
Rotties4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #2012
ambasah
Red Skull

If you live in the US you can get this for $454.24 shipped from EE.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #2013
Enforcer
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Looking good so far. The lip treatment on the lower jaw still nags at my soul and gives me nightmares, but it won't be the death of me
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #2014
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I think for a much smaller scale and for the fraction of the price... They did a good job overall... Bottom Jaw paint is the major issue. But JP fans I would should be happy overall.
JAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #2015
gokuvegeta
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
If you live in the US you can get this for $454.24 shipped from EE.
How shows much more. Coupon?
gokuvegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #2016
gummi
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuvegeta View Post
How shows much more. Coupon?
They're offering 21% off for their 21st anniversary; in stock items only. It's shown on the banner at the very top of their home page. The code is CELEBR8. It's still going on now, but I didn't see any information on how long it will last. Great pieces by the way guys. I see what you're all talking about with the paint on the jaws, but the ones you've posted still look pretty darn good. Not a dino collector, but if I was I'd be happy to add this one to the collection.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #2017
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Haven't noticed the tire tracks until now:

Beautiful detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx217 View Post
Pretty much ended up like the paint look below(wan't going to post this and just post the actual side by side but yea..it's still a WIP but it's gonna be amazing) with some teeth mod(replace if needed and sharpen). The plaque on the base will be removed(replaced with a water puddle or something) and slight mod here and there. Anyway, can't wait for the shipping notice!

Sorry to say but that's not as accurate as i hoped it would be, he hasn't nailed the female yet. Not 100%, on none of these:

Spoiler

Manuel is probably the best when it comes to JP's paint related stuff, but i think it should calibrate as soon as possible his monitor or upgrade to a better one. This is a fondamental step in his work since it's reflected 1:1 in every model that he paints and sometimes really undermines the accuracy he aim for.
Second, he should get rid of every DVD, Blu-Ray and BD3D references he uses most of the time.
They do not represent the movie.

It's close in this last revision, but movie's version female has more visible dark blue/grey "stripes" through the body, a bit of a sort of olive that looks like a perfect balance of brown and cold green on the upper body, a more brownish layer under that, and a sand/white type of gradient on the bottom. It's depicted this way not only on most maquettes, but on the ILM model also.

VickPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #2018
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickPS View Post
Sorry to say but that's not as accurate as i hoped it would be, he hasn't nailed the female yet. Not 100%, on none of these:

Manuel is probably the best when it comes to JP's paint related stuff, but i think it should calibrate as soon as possible his monitor or upgrade to a better one. This is a fondamental step in his work since it's reflected 1:1 in every model that he paints and sometimes really undermines the accuracy he aim for.
Second, he should get rid of every DVD, Blu-Ray and BD3D references he uses most of the time.
They do not represent the movie.

It's close in this last revision, but movie's version female has more visible dark blue/grey "stripes" through the body, a bit of a sort of olive that looks like a perfect balance of brown and cold green on the upper body, a more brownish layer under that, and a sand/white type of gradient on the bottom. It's depicted this way not only on most maquettes, but on the ILM model also.

Like I mentioned. It was just a WIP pic. We nailed down the final color already, if it's not accurate, nothing is. And he's working off my references, not his.

The pics you posted are not the best references and the last one is from TLW(not sure what that's for). The piece showed partially behind it is a OG Stan Winston JP T-Rex though.

Do you have any JP T-Rex piece that you post some pics of? I'd love to see if you can share. Sounds like you know what's "100%"... Personally, I'm not looking for 100%.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #2019
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Like I mentioned. It was just a WIP pic. We nailed down the final color already, if it's not accurate, nothing is. And he's working off my references, not his.
Sounds good. Still doesn't avoid the "monitor thing" that will affect your references, but cant wait to see the final results.

Quote:
The pics you posted are not the best references
Never said they were, i was showing the consistent characteristic of that maquette. Perfectly reflected on the ILM model itself in what i think is a much better version of the shot (the only one outdoor under the sunlight) that he used.
I can see a good amount of orange, browns and yellow in that frame, just not so much on the rex.
Then if you have a better version of it i would love to see it.
To be clear, i'm not saying she should be green or something like that, nor that she should match 1:1 that picture i've posted, i'm just talking about that ever-present but very soft layer of olive/blue kind of tone on top of the brown, which is the main tone of the female without a doubt, and about how visible those "stripes" should be for a more accurate movie look. Three pictures to further illustrate what i mean:

Quote:
and the last one is from TLW (not sure what that's for)
That's funny to me because i've spent like 15 minutes working on that image to make sure that no one could ever say that.. hasn't worked as i'd hoped.

Quote:
The piece showed partially behind it is a OG Stan Winston JP T-Rex though.
That's the point. ^^

Quote:
Do you have any JP T-Rex piece that you post some pics of?
Like an original maquette? Unfortunately not, but it would bring nothing to this discussion anyway since every one has been painted differently, as you probably know.
Not an awesome custom like yours, either. I was waiting forever for a female cast to show up somewhere until Chronicle happened and you sent her to them. Oh, thanks btw.

Quote:
I'd love to see if you can share. Sounds like you know what's "100%"...
Not sure if i'm right in getting some "asshole smartass sarcasm" vibe in this sentence.. but still.
I don't know "what's 100%", but since Manuel usually goes for movie-accuracy like no one else, and since as today there's no better way to see it, i use a 35mm scan of the movie as reference. That's also how i've watched and mostly heard the movie for years by now. It's the original experience, where Jurassic Park looks built in Costa Rica and not in the hawaii or even on Cameron's Pandora because of an old horrible master that makes Cundey's work basically disappear, CG that looks f***ing real and beautiful to look at and much better blended with SWS animatronics and full of shades of wonderful colours that completely disappears on Blu-Ray. The original DTS presention also sounds ten times better than the BD, the difference in the audio department it's not even funny, like another f***ing movie for real, and we're talking about an incredibly well rated track on BD. JP has yet to come in Home Video and that's an incredible shame since no hyperbole here, this is still the movie with better integrated VFX in history.
Anyway, back on references, there are the pretty awesome directly-from-ILM Cinefex stills, some hi-res ILM render or stock pictures, Murray Close's photos, perfect for clothe's references, and so on.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not looking for 100%.
And that's ok. In my case it's not just 100% accuracy vs preferences, i like her much more in that way. That's why i've always loved this piece.

Not 100% accurate, whatever that means, i just dig this look more than monochromatic grey or brown versions and i'm finding it more accurate at the same time.
Just found the WiP you've posted almost less appealing than the CC one in that monochromatic way (the same that afflicts the movie in Home Video) and not entirely movie accurate for what is my experience and for what i know he is capable of. Just posted my two cent.
I would love, in PM if you prefer, to see these "perfect references" you have of course.

Last edited by VickPS; 04-02-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added three pictures
VickPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #2020
kikoken
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
While not as good as the one Chris posted, this one does look ok...not one of the worst ones for sure. Glad you like it!
Looks amazing!
kikoken is offline   Reply With Quote