Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #2051
myskye23
Hellboy

I have the first two RS Statues and I agree with the general consensus about the first statue; it's a great sculpt but the paint app isn't up to par when compared to She Devil with a Sword. I'm highly anticipating the Scavenger Queen but in my honest opinion, the new RS would have to come close to Prototype quality to dethrone She Devil for me because pictures alone doesn't do that statue any justice at all. The sculpt, the paints, the attention to detail on She Devil is simply amazing. I'm anxiously awaiting for that shipment verification for Scavenger Queen though ... Come on SS!
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #2052
Popnfresh98
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I disagree. In the photos the lighting plays a big role. Combined with the background, the previous RS does look less than real, but you stick it in a decent studio set up and it would be comparable to the latest version.

I personally love that the two versions look so dissimilar, because I can drop the who RS mythos and display them as generic warrior women. I'm not a comic fan, just love a good statue.
I wasn't talking about the well lighted photos lol, I never compare those - it's unrealistic to expect any statue to capture that at home.

I'm judging based on the display videos from NYCC and the unboxing video and such, and it holds up just as well. Without even having it in hand you can see the difference between the older and newer one, due to SS increasing their production quality all around.

However I agree that they are different pieces and that it's good it can scratch different itches. I also collect based on piece to piece, without loyalty to movies/comics.

And as I said in a few years this will also have that 'older' look like the 2nd one has now. It happens in all fields - for example I collect hot toys as well, and though the older ones are not 'bad' by any means it's clear how fast the technology is improving in all these collectibles - things that wowed me before show their age in comparison to the new items (not that I love them any less!)
Popnfresh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #2053
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I think all 3 look great, I guess I lucked out with a good paint job on my 1st Red, 2nd Red I cancelled because I was reluctant about price and had Frazetta stuff that was of more urgency, I had a chance to see one on display at Frank and sons in Cali, price was original website price and as nice as it was I couldn’t pull the trigger because of that price tag, I am still reluctant about the price of this new one, but it looks freakin awesome and I might have to keep it and bite the bullet.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #2054
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnfresh98 View Post
As to that comparison between the older and newer, for me it’s not about comic book fit or more realistic but just the overall quality. The new piece is so much more highly detailed, there’s a lot more going on visually, and the old one almost looks like it’s made out of plastic in comparison to the new one which looks fairly realistic.

Not hating on the older one at all, it’s just a testament to how far Sideshow has come in such a short amount of time. I’m sure a few years down the road folks will look at the current one with the same comparison to whichever newer piece is made at the rate SS is going, and I welcome that evolution.

And of course I’m most grateful for the production pieces inching closer and closer to the protos all around. Keep it up SS!
If you're talking about "She Devil", it doesn't look like plastic at all in person. The production photos they took for She-Devil do the piece no justice for some reason, probably the lighting. When the pics came out, I was disappointed, as is documented in the thread, but when I actually got the piece in-hand I was relieved.

And I know you said you aren't going by pics, but videos don't tell the story fully either. I guess we'll see how different it is when this is in-hand.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #2055
COI

As a big fan of the character who owns (will own) all three, "She Devil" is the one that captures the essence of the character the best, IMO. If I could only own one, I'd go with that one because it screams "Red Sonja" more than the rest. It's a near perfect representation.

Good thing is, I don't have to pick just one.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #2056
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
She devil's still number #1 in my book, followed by the current one. Granted if the OG had turned out anywhere near proto that one would be #2 for me.

Those SDCC 2013 photos still hurt.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #2057
Nyxs
The Avengers

Man that 1st piece was so beautiful. The production pieces ended up looking like crap and I ended up selling it. Atleast the 2nd one was beautiful.
Nyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #2058
Danchez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The prototype for the OG Red Sonja was nice, but nothing can compare to Vicente Torres's insanely detailed, frost-bitten repaint. He even does a variation with more natural ginger hair!

Danchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #2059
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I've always loved his repaint.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #2060
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Unfortunately the face suffered from more than bad paint apps. There must have been an issue with the molds because the face wasn't symmetrical. I first noticed it when i tried to fix the eyes on mine. I replaced the decals and no matter how many times I adjusted them I couldn't get them looking right. Eventually I noticed it was because one eye is flat and the other bulges out. You can really notice it when viewing her from below. It's even noticeable on the repainted one.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote