Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #21141
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Captain America: Civil War - 8/10

While not as narratively strong as The First Avenger or Winter Soldier, Civil War does round out the trilogy well with some rousing action set pieces. It's hard to get extremely invested in the stakes however knowing the chances of any of these heroes perishing are slim to none.

My only real concern going into this film was the lack of a strong antagonist. Crossbones was fun and Zemo was okay, I guess, but like every villain in the MCU so far outside The Red Skull and Loki he wasn't very compelling. We all know Thanos is coming but beyond him I really hope we see some more effort put into some formidable villains.

It's great to see Spider-Man officially in the MCU but his inclusion felt completely shoe horned. His wise cracking demeanor was totally on point but the airport scene in general had way too much light hearted joking around for my tastes as it waters down the intensity and downplays the seriousness of the situation.

Overall the film is well directed. I think the Russo Bros. have proven they have the a solid handle on this material. The next two Avengers films are in good hands.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #21142
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Captain America: Civil War - 8/10

While not as narratively strong as The First Avenger or Winter Soldier, Civil War does round out the trilogy well with some rousing action set pieces. It's hard to get extremely invested in the stakes however knowing the chances of any of these heroes perishing are slim to none.

My only real concern going into this film was the lack of a strong antagonist. Crossbones was fun and Zemo was okay, I guess, but like every villain in the MCU so far outside The Red Skull and Loki he wasn't very compelling. We all know Thanos is coming but beyond him I really hope we see some more effort put into some formidable villains.

It's great to see Spider-Man officially in the MCU but his inclusion felt completely shoe horned. His wise cracking demeanor was totally on point but the airport scene in general had way too much light hearted joking around for my tastes as it waters down the intensity and downplays the seriousness of the situation.

Overall the film is well directed. I think the Russo Bros. have proven they have the a solid handle on this material. The next two Avengers films are in good hands.

Very true, even the film's villain knew that the only ones who could defeat The Avengers are themselves.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #21143
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Civil war
9/10
SNIKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #21144
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Captain America Civil War 9/10

I was going in as team Cap and yet you get swung back and forth as the other side made good points (and that's good writing). I like how it's still a Captain America movie and does a wonderful job handling a lot of characters. I think Black Panther was great and i can't wait to see his film. Spidey was absolutely phenomenal. I was geeking out when he appeared. I wanna also commend the stunt team on this. These guys did a great job. The Captain America films keep getting better. And the Ruso Bros are doing wonderful work here. Airport scene was awesome. Had a blast!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #21145
Y3E
Gen 13

Cap A: Civil War 9/10
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #21146
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Miles Ahead (2015) - An exploration of the life and music of Miles Davis.

Don Cheadle did a good job. I thought the free-form narrative was an appropriate choice for a jazz film. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #21147
adee
Green Arrow

Captain America Civil War 9/10

It was every thing I want from a comic movie.

then I went home and watched

Fantastic Four 2015 2/10

I had very low expectations and it still sucked.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #21148
abarron
Batman

Courageous 8/10 A lot better than I was expecting

Good story and characters
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #21149
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

The Witch
It got labelled a horror film but it really isn't. It's a psychological period drama. It takes a hyper realistic approach to witches with subtle supernatural elements that feel real. The acting and cinematography are well on point. It's quite slow building so not for everybody.
9/10

Krampus

I think this film's biggest success is the casting. The family looked/felt like a real family.
8/10
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #21150
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Akounak Tedalat Taha Tazoughai / Rain The Color Of Blue With A Little Red In It (2015) - A revolutionary story of guitars, motorcycles, cell phones, and the music of a new generation

I saw this at the New York African Film Festival. It's a very good homage to Purple Rain. There was a Q&A session after the screening with the director and star of the movie and the director said he had hoped to one day show the movie to Prince, but sadly, that never came to pass. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote