Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #211
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

So you are not plaaning a trip to a uk con anytime soon ?
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #212
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLee View Post
If I worked any harder or charged any more, my head would either fall off or I'd feel really guilty about charging so much. I feel bad for charging $50 at conventions for the con sketches. I usually accept no more than 10 commissions per day. I'd really rather not cheese them out just so I can make another $100. I'm the kind of dude that would prefer to see people thrilled at what I'm giving for the money they're paying. At $50, I think I'm at the limit of what I can offer and consciously accept as equal value. And at the NYCC with hotels and travel and food plus tables starting at $1200, I would literally have to take 20-30 commissions per day to make the trip pay for itself.
I hear you...makes sense to me.

Oh well, I know how to find you lol
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #213
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
So you are not planing a trip to a uk con anytime soon ?
Actually, I'd love to make a trip to the UK, does that mean I'll actually go? Probably not. (Well, unless DC or Marvel are ready to pay for me to go!) not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I hear you...makes sense to me.

Oh well, I know how to find you lol
My cons that I usually go to are Heroes for sure. The maybes are Philly and Baltimore. And this year, if I get in, the Dragon Con in Atlanta. Someday, I hope to make a trip up to Boston to try their con (I have friends I can crash with there).

The issue with the NYCC is that I'd prefer to stay someplace relatively close to the Convention Center so I don't have to take the subway everywhere and haul a ton of art supplies around the city so I can finish up con sketches back at the hotel. That means expensive hotel - and lots of expenses.
SunnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #214
Mean Green
Fantomah

Oh, nice. I may have to seek you out at Dragon Con if I make it this year
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #215
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually - I have. They're definitely easier on me, but having seen other artists carry them, they don't sell particularly well. At least, none of the artists I sat near sold a lot of them. Cons are a difficult business. You want to have something that caters to everyone, but you still want to produce a quality piece. I have tho - starting picking up "pre-orders" for conventions before I go - just so I have them ready for pick up at the con. Perhaps, I'll start that here for cons I'll be attending in 2012 (if anyone's interested).
Sunny, do you bring anything to the con that is pre-done for sale? As with the sketch cards, variety might help to appeal to more collectors. We all collect something different. Some like a $50 con sketch but some would be willing to shell out more $$ for a more detailed piece. I know there is a growing number of sketch card collectors out there so having that as an option can’t hurt if they are something you would like to do. I don’t collect prints but I know there are a decent number of people that do – I have seen some collectors fill up a portfolio of prints at a show. This is another option you could consider, making a few prints of your more popular pieces. I like to go to cons and look for new artists and usually pick a couple at each show to do something for me – either in my sketch book or 11x17. What helps me to choose is having lots of sample work to sift through to get a good idea of their style and if it might be a good match for something I would be interested in having them do for me.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #216
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #217
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Sunny, do you bring anything to the con that is pre-done for sale? As with the sketch cards, variety might help to appeal to more collectors. We all collect something different. Some like a $50 con sketch but some would be willing to shell out more $$ for a more detailed piece. I know there is a growing number of sketch card collectors out there so having that as an option can’t hurt if they are something you would like to do. I don’t collect prints but I know there are a decent number of people that do – I have seen some collectors fill up a portfolio of prints at a show. This is another option you could consider, making a few prints of your more popular pieces. I like to go to cons and look for new artists and usually pick a couple at each show to do something for me – either in my sketch book or 11x17. What helps me to choose is having lots of sample work to sift through to get a good idea of their style and if it might be a good match for something I would be interested in having them do for me.
I usually bring several things - Pre-drawn characters (usually mainstream or popular ones at the time) - full size 11x17 tight pencils. Probably 3 or 4. Those are just glory sells. I usually sell those at discounted commission rates ($150-200). Then I have smaller prints (8x10) of commissions I've done in the past. I am in the process of trying to establish some ties to inkers and colorists so that I can create full color prints (poster size or slightly smaller) to sell at cons. Most of the stuff I sell at cons are either con sketches, 8x10 prints and occasional 11x17 reprints (when I have any). The thing is, making prints is pretty costly - whether they're B&W or color (nice thick glossy paper, etc) but the difference is - you can reasonable sell the full color versions at a more reasonable (better able to recoop the printing costs) rate than the B&W. So until I can find a colorist (I think I have an inker or two lined up), I'm kinda stuck in neutral.

As for bringing stuff, I am starting to do "pre-orders" - whether those be con sketches or full blown commissions. Most clients get the preordered full blown commission despite the fact that I bring additional 11x17 con-commissions that are slightly discounted just because they always have slightly non-mainstream or specific poses/costumes etc that they want (esp if you're going to shell out that much money - might as well get what you're asking for).

Outside of those things, I'm pretty "small time" and don't really have a lot of merchandise to sell. My craft makes it difficult to sell other things and since this job is the mother of all time-consuming jobs, and there are just so many variety of heroes/tastes/opinions/choices, it's really difficult to get things that appeal to the general public. But for me, the thrill I get is giving the best art I can to the people who are brave enough to ask for art from me at a con. I really dig making sure they walk away happy.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #218
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
- snip - But for me, the thrill I get is giving the best art I can to the people who are brave enough to ask for art from me at a con. I really dig making sure they walk away happy.
I was one such happy customer at NYCC 2010.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #219
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

Thanks blink90210!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #220
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

The last three - Sagat, Superman, and Batman

The Batman one is the batman as seen through the eyes of the villains. In my case, as the scarecrow sees bats when bats gets him to suck on his own fear gas.

Thanks again everyone - it's be a real blast. I'll try to hit the post office Tuesday (they're closed on sunday and monday). I hope you all enjoyed it.

Last edited by SunnyLee; 01-15-2012 at 03:10 AM.