Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #211
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearCorps View Post
Looking forward to the Power Girl ! Did she have a base? If so what was it?
The version I saw yesterday was an un painted prototype so the base was just a black circle.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #212
sbsp13668
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
WOW big words for someone who's new to the forum to come here and call other members morons.
Oh my. Quite a bit of unnecessary drama stirred up over this comment. (I'm a new member myself, should I be worried about expressing my opinion on the matter?)

Well, my understanding of the word "fat" is that it means "overweight", as in weighing more than the healthy average for one's gender, height, age, etc (ask your doctor). This Storm bishoujo is not overweight at all in the art, prototype, or final product. In fact, looking at the prototype for the bishoujo Power Girl, Power Girl is more likely above average in weight with her giant boobs and considerable muscle mass than Storm (and "fat" is better defined as "being overweight due to excess body fat, not muscle").

I understood Medusoid's comment as identifying "morons" as "people who are ignorant in regards to the female body". And, just looking at the statue, I have to agree with Medusoid. Storm doesn't have fat rolls or stretch marks, but she does have very feminine curves (and I thought the bishoujo statues were meant to emphasize female qualities).

Yes, Storm's costume digs into her body a bit. However, it would be inaccurate to say that this makes her fat, and it would be more accurate to say that her costume is too tight. Now, the bishoujo Mystique also has a lot of costume-pinching going on, and she's not as commonly referred to as "fat".

So, I don't find "fat" to be a valid criticism of Kotobukiya's Storm bishoujo, but valid criticisms of the statue definitely do exist. I think Medusoid wanted to discuss the "fat" issue, but was quickly shut down for only saying "morons". They certainly could've elaborated a bit more on what they meant by saying "morons", though.
sbsp13668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #213
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

@sbsp the simple fact of the matter here is rude comments and childish name calling is against the rules here, and if you are skeptical then by all means check with a mod.

I am one of the people who stated the initial prototype looked chunky and un athletic, which is the polar opposite of Storm. So, does that mean its acceptable for someone to come here and call me a moron? Nope, don't think so.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #214
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Besides, the person apologized, so why even bring it up again?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #215
sbsp13668
Frackin!

Quote:
@sbsp the simple fact of the matter here is rude comments and childish name calling is against the rules here, and if you are skeptical then by all means check with a mod.

I am one of the people who stated the initial prototype looked chunky and un athletic, which is the polar opposite of Storm. So, does that mean its acceptable for someone to come here and call me a moron? Nope, don't think so.
Yes, name-calling isn't nice and is against the forum rules. However, my point is that the comment deserved a little more consideration than "how dare that noob us names", because they may have had a point.

Quote:
Besides, the person apologized, so why even bring it up again?
And, the reason I'm bringing it up is not so much to discuss the application of forum rules/etiquette, but to discuss the reasons that people have for considering this Storm "fat" or "in shape".
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #216
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I promise this will be the last thing I say about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsp13668 View Post
I understood Medusoid's comment as identifying "morons" as "people who are ignorant in regards to the female body". And, just looking at the statue, I have to agree with Medusoid. Storm doesn't have fat rolls or stretch marks, but she does have very feminine curves (and I thought the bishoujo statues were meant to emphasize female qualities).
That is true, but the word I used was still inappropriate.

I tend to say stupid things when this particular issue pops up, since body diversity in comics is something that means a lot to me. I think that most comics fans have a rather warped view of what bodies should look like, especially when it comes to women. It aggravates me sometimes, but lashing out was not the right thing to do.

I did not mean to start an argument, but I hope that people also understand my frustrations. The Bishoujo statues are the only ones I collect at the moment, and that is partially due to the way Shunya draws women.

Anyway, as I said before, this statue is not bad at all. It's certainly not perfect, but Kotobukiya addressed the issues that people had with her body and changed it accordingly. She's much thinner than the prototype, and though I understand the issues people had with her cape and hair, I still think she is rather beautiful.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #217
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsp13668 View Post
Yes, name-calling isn't nice and is against the forum rules. However, my point is that the comment deserved a little more consideration than "how dare that noob us names", because they may have had a point.

And, the reason I'm bringing it up is not so much to discuss the application of forum rules/etiquette, but to discuss the reasons that people have for considering this Storm "fat" or "in shape".
Well, by all means, discuss.

I still stand by my original opinion. The prototype looked slightly chunky and not very athletic, which is exactly not how Storm is supposed to be portrayed.

I think that the in-hand production pieces were slimmed down a bit, and she looked a little better. I still think the smaller hair and cape are major negatives to this bishoujo, however. It's not a total loss, but she could have been executed much better.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #218
dechirico7
The Flash

Kotobukiya should have sculpted her to match the illustration that Shunya Yama----a did. They did with all the other pieces, some more than others. But most of them match their illustrations way more than Storm does. Storm is not a plus size or thick girl in the comics. Marvel states that she is 5'11" and weighs 127. This bishoujo does not match that body type. I know it doesn't have to. I know that Koto can put their own spin on these characters, but that just takes me back to my original point. These are supposed to be based on the bishoujo illustrations by Yama----a. If Yama----a's design would have depicted her thicker, with a too-short cape and silver hair, I would have been less disappointed. My main gripe with this piece is still the cape. I can get past the other differences. The cape is just horrible. It still looks like something a house wife from the 1950's would wear to surprise her husband.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #219
sbsp13668
Frackin!

Well, it doesn't seem like there's going to be much discussion besides "well, she just looks fat to me."

In other areas of the figure:
I really wish that she had the larger hair too (the Poison Ivy bishoujo has such gorgeous hair).

The cape doesn't matter much to me. I heard some comments on another website that said that she should have a shorter and smoother cape to make it look like she's gliding around like in the old comics. It would be interesting to see it done longer or shorter, considering the concept art for the statue and the comics.

I guess the only other significant complaint I have for her, besides the hair, is that sometimes the tightness of that costume just looks so uncomfortable to me. I really wouldn't want to wear it myself.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #220
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

My biggest gripe about the Storm bishoujo is how her panties look. Its so high and looks awkward and unflattering. I had high expectations for this bishoujo since I love Storm but as I stated previously, I was greatly disappointed how she turned out. My opinions have not changed.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote