Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #221
Mister H
Ultimates

I can’t wait to hear the “but no one liked Michael Keaton at first either” argument.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #222
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I can’t wait to hear the “but no one liked Michael Keaton at first either” argument.
Oh its already all over the internet, along with Heath Ledger as Joker. One person even mentioned Bale.

*sigh* This is gonna suck.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #223
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I never liked Keaton as Batman. Never got that one at all.
Plus he killed without even a thought about it.

Anyways I don't know this actor, I didn't pay attention to "those" movies. But I just googled him and.. WTF are they thinking?

They must be crazy as road lizards.

I was hoping for a really authentic take for once.
Oh well.

TAS is going to be the gold standard for me forever I think.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #224
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Agreed, Keaton was NOT a good Batman. Burton’s films worked in their own quirky way because of the immersive gothic atmosphere and unique set design. At the time nothing that bold had every been attempted with comic book material. That said anyone who grew up reading the actual comics themselves could tell you just how far off the depiction of the characters were.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 AM   #225
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Bale was best. Keaton was also good, he had that dark edge that was perfect for Bruce/Bats. Kilmer was ok, Clooney was boring. Affleck was good but needed a better script, etc. The kid on Gotham is great too.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #226
Tushar
Hellboy

The warehouse fight in BvS might well be the best Batman action scene on film. And Affleck may otherwise be a good actor. I concede both those points.

Regardless, I didn't like him as Batman. The key to a good Batman performance is a good Bruce Wayne performance. Wayne is the mask Batman puts on. Affleck's Wayne didn't have any personality whatsoever. Same goes for Henry Cavill's Clark Kent.

It's a shame that both these talented actors worked so hard for these roles and just couldn't crack it. The script and the director are also at fault. (Look at what they made Jesse Eisenberg do). But the actors aren't blameless. Their performances were underwhelming and haven't improved for me in repeat viewings.

The gold standard on how to play a classic hero and his alter ego, to me, has always been Christopher Reeve.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 AM   #227
Tushar
Hellboy

Casting Pattinson is a mistake. Casting anyone too recognizable from another famous role is a mistake. Cast someone who doesn't have any previous "baggage", so to speak. Someone who can make this role their own. Like Gal Gadot. Like Tom Holland.

That being said. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm a fan of the Apes movies by Reeves and I trust he can get a better performance out of his actors than Snyder. And Twilight movies aside, Pattinson is by no means a bad actor.

Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to Andy Serkis playing Batman in motion capture.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #228
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The warehouse fight in BvS might well be the best Batman action scene on film. And Affleck may otherwise be a good actor. I concede both those points.

Regardless, I didn't like him as Batman. The key to a good Batman performance is a good Bruce Wayne performance. Wayne is the mask Batman puts on. Affleck's Wayne didn't have any personality whatsoever. Same goes for Henry Cavill's Clark Kent.

It's a shame that both these talented actors worked so hard for these roles and just couldn't crack it. The script and the director are also at fault. (Look at what they made Jesse Eisenberg do). But the actors aren't blameless. Their performances were underwhelming and haven't improved for me in repeat viewings.

The gold standard on how to play a classic hero and his alter ego, to me, has always been Christopher Reeve.
I disagree about Cavill in MOS, true his performance was meh in BvS and was a joke in Justice League but the last two films I blame more on the writers and director then the actors...

now I agree 100% with Eisenberg being a horrible choice for Lex Luthor, as far as Affleck, he can act but he was just given a bad script in both BvS and Justice League... Affleck played Batman and Bruce Wayne the exact same... both were moody and didn't say much... but again that's more on the writers then the actor..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #229
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I disagree about Cavill in MOS, true his performance was meh in BvS and was a joke in Justice League but the last two films I blame more on the writers and director then the actors...

now I agree 100% with Eisenberg being a horrible choice for Lex Luthor, as far as Affleck, he can act but he was just given a bad script in both BvS and Justice League... Affleck played Batman and Bruce Wayne the exact same... both were moody and didn't say much... but again that's more on the writers then the actor..
Thanks for agreeing on most of my points. And I see we disagree on how much the actors are to blame.

But I don't get your point on MoS. Are you saying Cavill was good at playing Clark in that movie?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #230
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Might just be the first superhero based film I skip and I've watched Steel and Man-Thing.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote