Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #221
jetfuel
Statue Forum MacDaddy

The in hand weight of medusa is no where near 60lb. Maybe 20lbs at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
The Medusa is almost 60 lbs, the shipping weight of Athena is 27 lbs and Thor 36 lbs. These are very good quality, I would say quality of the statues is as good as any company out there.

Price is the thing that made me pass on Medusa but I think all or nearly all of the ARH 1/4 scales have been selling out at these prices so evidently the price point isn't too high and the sizes are huge. If anything I wish they were smaller so they would take up less space and cost less. I would be plenty happy with the same statues in 1/7 scale but I am in the minority.

The styrofoam is horrible which leads to the only (in my opinion) other legitimate beef with ARH statues, the poor packaging and design of packaging leads to too much breakage. I suspect more than other companies. But this is being rectified going forward or that

It has been posted on -- by either Ave or Arahom that they recognize these and a few other issues (AP and customer service for AP buyers mainly) and have said how they are changing these things going forward.
jetfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #222
Atheris
The Maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel View Post
I'd say maybe a little less than 20lbs. When I took mine out of the box it was shockingly light.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #223
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
I don't own Medusa so I can't say. I gave the shipping weights of Athena and Thor because I do own those and they are on the label (from Fed Ex, NOT ARH) that came on it. I haven't actually weighed any. Maybe once a box reaches a certain size they have a higher weight stamped on the box because of its size it has a minimum charge associated with overall size that then gets associated with a weight, I don't know.

The point of the weights, whatever they are, is that ARH statues are no more "hollow" at this size than are Sideshow Statues.

Several posters have made the suggestion that ARH statues are hollow compared to Sideshow (they aren't), are lighter than SS statues of the same size (they aren't), are made of different materials (They aren't), and that they are poorly packaged and have excessive breakage (they are and they do, IMO).

I think my Thor weights more than 20 lbs just lifting it so I find it hard to believe that Medusa weights that little but again I don't own it so I can't say.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #224
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Lol and the truth shall set us free!
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #225
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Lol and the truth shall set us free!
You're such a hater lad. someone guesses she weighs around 20 lbs and that is "the truth". As I said I don't own a Medusa so for all I know she is made of Paper Mache but I do own a Thor and I know for a fact he weighs easily as much as similar sized Sideshow pieces.

I guess somebody is going to have to put her on a scale and see how fat she really is. What SS piece should we compare her too? I would love to see the actual weights of two similar and see how they really come out. Weighed by the same person and scale preferably.

I'd be surprised if SS were heavier, especially by much, but if I'm wrong I would be happy to admit it. The only "light" ARH statue that I know of is the AP Cleopatra, that did seem a little light to me and maybe thinner than other similar sized statues but I don't know of any others and I own quite a few.

Just as a comparison the Vampirella PF on the SS web site lists specs for shipping weight of "11 lbs", the same SS site and specs lists Medusa at "45 lbs". As I thought the so called "dimensional weight" is also in play based on the size of the box whereby they charge more which may be why the higher weight was out there but the shipping weight is the actual weight of the packaged statue. Come on man, these ARH statues are very similar in construction and manufacture to SS, whatever you think of ARH as a company.

Legendary scale Wolverine weighs 35 lbs and has a 40 lb shipping weight according to SS website (and costs $2K)
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #226
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Honestly, I could care less how much she weighs. I think she's an amazing statue and I do love the Medusa, but I wouldn't spend $600 on her.

I do, however, think it's funny that one person is like 'oh she's 60 lbs' and the next is like 'oh no, she's really only 20.'

If me thinking that's funny is worthy of you calling me a hater, then so be it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #227
ComputerFly
The Phantom

My Medusa weighs 30 lbs 4 oz. That's not a lightweight statue. Yes, the snake body is hollow, as is the column, but the base does have a nice weight to it. The body of Medusa seems to be made of solid Polystone and also has a nice weight.

30 lbs puts this in the realm of the Doom PF, as far as weight goes.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #228
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

That's not bad then. So, is the column you said is hollow separate from the main part of the base?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #229
ComputerFly
The Phantom

It's one piece, but I've seen the column broken, and it is very thin cast. Kind of a let down on an otherwise great sculpt.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #230
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

That's the main reason I've not purchased any ARH (or PCS for that matter) is the packaging. But, it's awesome to know (per Loricstone) that they are officially switching to better quality stuff.