Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #221
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeals View Post
Yeah, Brubaker's Iron Fist was great. I wish I had bought the omnibus when it was in print.

I'm late to the game with this recommendation (and this is my first post outside of the statue section of this forum), but I have absolutely fallen in love with morning glories. I just read the first deluxe HC this weekend and I am currently halfway through volume 2. It may not be for everyone, but so far it's like LOST with high school kids. Spencer's writing is sharp, witty, and dark, and Eisma's art is just excellent. Both are solid so far after 18 issues.
I agree I did grab brubakers Iron fist omnibus and it was great. I have the deluxe edition of morning glories I have not read it yet looking forward to it now
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #222
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I collected the Flash throughout the 80's & remember really liking the book. Then, Barry went m.i.a in Crises & I kind of lost the urge & dropped the book, picking up the occasional issue throughout the next 2 decades.
Anyhoo, the new CW series is just so g-d great, that I decided to invest in a trade and picked up Geoff Jones & Ethan Van Sciver's Flash Rebirth. "Wow! I loved it! Read so many cool instances that the show is honoring that I'm even more impressed with the comic-integrity that the show is demonstrating. What should I read next? Should I jump straight to Flashpoint? or are there other great Flash modern collections I should read first?

I would grab the three Geoff Johns ominbus's that was an epic flash run that made me fall in love with Wally west
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #223
Walls
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Image from http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-...1-674x1024.jpg.

Spread. Really REALLY good.
Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #224
Babytoxie
Ghost

Does Mark Waid's run count as "modern"? He is the definitive Flash writer, IMO. He did so many cool things with Wally West and the other DCU speedsters, and his "speed force" concept changed the way I looked at the Flash's powers. Waid's storyline was so good that I stopped thinking about Barry Allen... Wally had surpassed him.

I believe the whole run has been collected, but it's due for a reprint.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #225
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Does Mark Waid's run count as "modern"? He is the definitive Flash writer, IMO. He did so many cool things with Wally West and the other DCU speedsters, and his "speed force" concept changed the way I looked at the Flash's powers. Waid's storyline was so good that I stopped thinking about Barry Allen... Wally had surpassed him.

I believe the whole run has been collected, but it's due for a reprint.
I have read both the waid and JOhns run both HIGHLy recommend. I did enjoy Johns run a little better but you cant go wrong with either
Old 09-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #226
ftrez
Nightwing

I'm recommending the 6 volume Starman Omnibus series.

I'm very late to the game, Starman having come out in the late 90's, but this is an excellent series. I'm half way through vol. 6 and I've loved everything about the book.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #227
Babytoxie
Ghost

Robinson's Starman is a great read from start to finish.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #228
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrez View Post
I'm recommending the 6 volume Starman Omnibus series.

I'm very late to the game, Starman having come out in the late 90's, but this is an excellent series. I'm half way through vol. 6 and I've loved everything about the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post

Robinson's Starman is a great read from start to finish.
I've been rereading this series also. I grabbed the original issues when they came out, but the omnibus editions were very affordable through eBay and they all have new Harris dustjacket covers, I had to get them.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #229
Luminous
Cyclops

Just finished reading East of West: Year One HC. Absolutely loved it. Hickman creates a compelling futuristic western setting while Dragotta's pencils feels like a mix of Time Sale and Frank Miller. Highly recommended.

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #230
xforce
Hydra

I am going to grab the Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection Volume 1. I missed it when it came out and was waiting for the eventual omnibus but it looks like this will be the best format they plan on doing/