Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #221
Irenicus
The Spirit

Spec actually did a good job on the price, since it is less expensive than The Batman. They must have bought more pieces.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:19 AM   #222
thegeekblend
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
This is now available at Spec Fiction.
I wonder how long it will be up before it sells out
thegeekblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:22 AM   #223
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
I?m definitely surprised, coming from a veteran such as yourself, that this portrait is good to you. Do you honestly think 3K good?
So, just to be clear, because you don't think it looks like Cavill, a "veteran" collector should agree with you? He shouldn't be free to form his own opinion?

Quote:
Expectations of likeness should be very high at this price point. Isn?t the main reason to buy this, is to have a Henry Cavill Superman? Their up close and professionally taken photos clearly showed me the likeness is not there. Imo, the eye and wrinkle areas need to be revised the most.

If they sold this as their own stylized version of Superman then wow. This looks very lifelike and impressive. The pose, body and base are fantastic. However, the Cavill name tag is on this and is no longer a subjective statue. Likeness is the most important aspect they needed to get right at 3K. Imo, they did not unfortunately. Maybe 75% likeness they achieved. That might be harsh but at 3K, criticism is strong.
It sounds like you're just complaining about money. It always makes me wonder about people who make these statements. At what price point does this statue look like Cavill for you? If JND charged $1500 for this piece, would it be acceptible as Cavill? What about $1000? - For such a connoisseur and money conscious collector - why would you spend any amount on a piece that doesn't meet your high expectations? How can the cost of the statue dictate it's artistic quality? - either it looks like Cavill or it doesn't.....a Ferrari doesn't become more of a Ferrari the cheaper it gets - it's a Ferrari or it isn't - price doesn't play a role.

I get that you're angry at the price - I'm in the same boat. But calling the piece sub par just because you can't / don't want to afford it is disingenuous to say the least.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:47 AM   #224
Exorcist
The X-Men

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
So, just to be clear, because you don't think it looks like Cavill, a "veteran" collector should agree with you? He shouldn't be free to form his own opinion?

It sounds like you're just complaining about money. It always makes me wonder about people who make these statements. At what price point does this statue look like Cavill for you? If JND charged $1500 for this piece, would it be acceptible as Cavill? What about $1000? - For such a connoisseur and money conscious collector - why would you spend any amount on a piece that doesn't meet your high expectations? How can the cost of the statue dictate it's artistic quality? - either it looks like Cavill or it doesn't.....a Ferrari doesn't become more of a Ferrari the cheaper it gets - it's a Ferrari or it isn't - price doesn't play a role.

I get that you're angry at the price - I'm in the same boat. But calling the piece sub par just because you can't / don't want to afford it is disingenuous to say the least.
Amen!
Exorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:54 AM   #225
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Roll out the red carpet for this A-hole.

Relax Silas, no one is angry lol. If anything, the novels you write are full of anger and elitism. Are you okay? This is a very strange post, it seems like you?re attacking me about yourself lol? Everything you are saying about me is what you post all the time. Are you crying out for help?

There?s A LOT of insinuating and assumption coming from you about me. Why are you being weird and twisting the actual topic? WHICH IS?the likeness of Cavill is not there imo. I?ll debate with you if it?s there or not, but not about your strange insinuations. Why are you acting like a JNDize fanboy all aboard the hype train? Your post is too insecure for me to entertain. Damn, you remind me of an ex always trying to manipulate and twist things. Relax drama queen.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:11 AM   #226
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:

Relax Silas, no one is angry lol. If anything, the novels you write are full of anger and elitism. Are you okay? This is a very strange post, it seems like you?re attacking me about yourself lol? Everything you are saying about me is what you post all the time. Are you crying out for help?

There?s A LOT of insinuating and assumption coming from you about me. Why are you being weird and twisting the actual topic? WHICH IS?the likeness of Cavill is not there imo. I?ll debate with you if it?s there or not, but not about your strange insinuations. Why are you acting like a JNDize fanboy all aboard the hype train? Your post is too insecure for me to entertain. Damn, you remind me of an ex always trying to manipulate and twist things. Relax drama queen.
You said you were "surprised" that a veteran collector would like the portrait - why? Can you not conceptualize the possibility that, even though you don't like it, others might?

You then repeatedly said that it wasn't good enough, at 3K - so I asked you to define what the price should be before it starts to look like Cavill - for you.

I mean, if you want to get personal and call names, sure - we can do that.....you can even ignore my questions above. Although, I think it's probably clear to everyone that your only axe to grind is money. And that's not an assumption - you basically wrote that yourself.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:23 AM   #227
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:

Some people just can't seem to understand that price does indeed play a factor in our decision making processes. That is if a product is cheaper, we may be willing to accept certain discrepancies in what we're purchasing. Just because we're buying a cheaper item doesn't necessarily mean we think that item is absolutely perfect, it just means that it meets our current requirements for that price.

Everyone's price limits are different. Some want perfect at $500, or $1,000, or maybe $2,000, or $3,000, the list is endless.

Not everyone sees things the same way. Like I've personally never understood why likeness is subjective, because to me something either looks exactly like someone (or maybe close but with slight discrepancies etc), or doesn't at all. However I'm more than willing to accept that I'm probably very wrong on this given that many collectors like to say likeness is a very subjective thing; and tried to limit my critiques of other collectors comments accordingly.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:24 AM   #228
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Shocking to think most people who order this will probably receive it in 2025!
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:32 AM   #229
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Shocking to think most people who order this will probably receive it in 2025!
I think many are unfortunately used to the exploding ETA's. Sideshow has been great with short turnarounds. However other manufacturers haven't been so efficient.

First it was PCS, and then Prime 1 who showed us ridiculous turnarounds going from an advertised 18 month window, but maybe not delivering until 3 years later.

And now we also have Queen and Infinity's silicone busts also potentially having the same long delivery windows, because of them shipping them in batches.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:58 AM   #230
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Some people just can't seem to understand that price does indeed play a factor in our decision making processes. That is if a product is cheaper, we may be willing to accept certain discrepancies in what we're purchasing. Just because we're buying a cheaper item doesn't necessarily mean we think that item is absolutely perfect, it just means that it meets our current requirements for that price.

Everyone's price limits are different. Some want perfect at $500, or $1,000, or maybe $2,000, or $3,000, the list is endless.

Not everyone sees things the same way. Like I've personally never understood why likeness is subjective, because to me something either looks exactly like someone (or maybe close but with slight discrepancies etc), or doesn't at all. However I'm more than willing to accept that I'm probably very wrong on this given that many collectors like to say likeness is a very subjective thing; and tried to limit my critiques of other collectors comments accordingly.
Everything we experience through our 5 senses are subjective. I mean, It's scientific fact.....

I'm aware that price plays a role, my argument is that the role it plays is regarding the "value proposition" - and not an artistic proposition. When we conflate the two, we don't end up with an honest appraisal of the piece.

I've seen art sculpture - costing $120k and upwards....most of it, is subjectively poor (in my opinion) - so at that point, the price is irrelevant - they couldn't give it to me. If it was subjectively good, in my opinion, I would have to make a value assessment to see if I want to spend $120k - if not, fine, but it doesn't then make the art "bad" - just not within my value equation.

Let me say it another way - if we continue to equate price to art, then this forum might as well label JND as rubbish 100% of the time, because their pricing will ALWAYS outweigh the artistic ability of the JND designers.