Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #23111
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Watched the 3 core DCEU films in preparation for Justice League next week.

Man of Steel - 9.5/10

Love this film. For me it's got it all. Grounded, powerful, emotional with well developed characters you can relate to. Hard hitting action on a massive scale with destruction and scenarios that have real world consequences. This may not be the Superman film the boyscout purists prefer but I personally found this interpretation refreshing and more engaging than most superhero films.

Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition - 9.5/10

Admittedly this isn't your traditional superhero/comic book movie. It's dark, gritty and deals with complex real world issues. While I'm not the biggest fan of how Lex Luthor was written/portrayed on a character level I think his manipulation of the title heroes and fears of a nation were brilliant. Like Superman before this in MoS this is the version of Batman I've been waiting for on screen. The burnt out grizzled detective that has been driven to extremes. I didn't have a problem with the theatrical version of the film but there is no question the Ultimate Edition adds a ton more depth, makes the underlying narrative and character motivations much clearer and improves the overall flow dramatically. It's the only way to watch BvS and it's a shame it wasn't delivered to theaters this way.

Wonder Woman - 7/10

It's awesome seeing a beloved character finally hit the big screen. Gadot is perfect as the title character and Chris Pine is excellent as Steve Trevor. Not as good as MoS or BvS for me due to a pretty straightforward narrative, weak antagonist and some dodgy CGI (particularly in the Themyscira scenes.) While I do feel the fish out of water scenario is rather cliche at this point they still did the character justice here and I applaud them for going all in on delivering her origin.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #23112
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Jeepers creepers 3 - Good Lord, what an abomination. This is what we got after 14 years

1/10
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #23113
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Colossal 7.5/10
This was a very well written film with an extremely unique and entertaining way of exploring the negative interpersonal relationships that some women can find themselves in.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #23114
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Valerian City of 1000 Planets - If only the recent Star Wars films could be this entertaining. A complete shame it didn't do well. Already seen it twice, and I'll be buying the 3D Blu-ray when it's reheard 8/10
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 AM   #23115
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - A man travels around a city with a camera slung over his shoulder, documenting urban life with dazzling invention.

Best documentary ever? Possibly! I nearly stood and applauded in my living room when it was over. The MTV-like editing made it look incredibly modern--an influence on the new wave style of films later in the 60s for sure. And the new score by the Alloy Orchestra sent it over the top. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #23116
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Some of the jokes were unnecessary. It didn't have to be that funny. However, it looked great and the action scenes were well-done. And as a Marvel Comics fan I did enjoy the comic book references, especially the hidden ones (Beta Ray Bill's face carved into the sculpture on the skyscraper!) so I'll rate this film a little higher than I normally would. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #23117
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Some of the jokes were unnecessary. It didn't have to be that funny. However, it looked great and the action scenes were well-done. And as a Marvel Comics fan I did enjoy the comic book references, especially the hidden ones (Beta Ray Bill's face carved into the sculpture on the skyscraper!) so I'll rate this film a little higher than I normally would. 7/10
Little more subtle but the skyscraper also had the Bi-Beast and the original Nightcrawler from the Hulk comic book as faces.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #23118
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Thor Ragnarok 7/10 Not a fan of Thor-Lord lol. Very light even for a Disney movie imo. This was basically and extended live action version of a Marvel cartoon.

Radius 8/10 great low budget sci-fi movie. A guy and girl are struck my cosmic lightning and the guy develops the power to kill anything living when the girl is more than 50 feet away from him.

Birth of the Dragon 7/10 Does Bruce Lee no justice

Who Shot Biggie and Tupac 8/10 the most detailed documentary thus far imo
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #23119
abarron
Batman

Wonder Woman 6/10

Was just ok and was hoping for more from what I'd heard. The dodgy CGI took me completely out of the movie at times and it felt like I was just watching people in front of a Green Screen
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #23120
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Watched the 3 core DCEU films in preparation for Justice League next week.

Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition - 9.5/10

I didn't have a problem with the theatrical version of the film but there is no question the Ultimate Edition adds a ton more depth, makes the underlying narrative and character motivations much clearer and improves the overall flow dramatically. It's the only way to watch BvS and it's a shame it wasn't delivered to theaters this way.
And it's a shame I will never see it this way because I won't buy a BluRay of a movie I will only watch once. I'd like to see a movie that SHOULD have been good.

Though something tells me even with better editing I will still loathe this interpretation of Lex.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote