Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #231
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wow! This is getting good!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #232
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I don't understand the argument. Warner Bros sold the license to Jerry and said he could only make new costume statues... There is no point, take it or leave it.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #233
Sinister Mister
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Mister View Post
It's too bad that WB is forcing Jerry's hand with having to do the modern costumes instead of the classic iconic ones from the first 3 installments of Mortal Kombat. People stopped really paying attention to Mortal Kombat after it went 3D and the series kind of fell off of the fighting scene radar which is why Nether Realm Studios went back to 2D for this latest iteration of the series.

It's even more puzzling that WB is forcing Jerry to go the modern route considering the heavy touting and promotion of classic retro costumes being available for the ninja characters. Even Nether Realm knows that the fans mark out for the classic look of the characters. The new designs are constantly changing drastically with every new installment so no one look of the characters becomes classic anymore, where as in the past, the original costumes of the characters, especially the ninjas, stayed relatively the same over the course of the first 3 MK's with only minor adjustments made. When fans think of MK they think of the classic looks of the characters from the classic installments of the series, not the recent forgettable 3D versions.

If fans are going to drop $300 plus on statues, I can certainly understand their disappointment in not being able to get the classic versions they want. If I remember correctly, even Jerry himself, when the initial buzz of a possible MK line was being mentioned, had initially wanted to do the classic costumes of the characters and I bet if he had had any say in the matter instead of having to do what WB wants he would do the classics in a heartbeat. Some times less is more. The new outfits are too busy and forgettable and they will be drastically different again when the next game comes out.

I'm sure that the new fans of the MK series that have come on board since the series went fully 3D are fine with it because they really have no ties to the classic iterations of the series, but to us longtime fans of the series, knowing that the only available versions of the statues from MK that we have been wanting for what seems like forever appear to be only going to be available in the new look stings a lot.

I don't blame Jerry. I know he had to do what he had to do in order to use the license, but I really wish that these companies would just butt the hell out of the sculptors business and let him do whatever he wants to do with the license based on the available history of the art of the series and what his fans want from him, but I get that it is a business at the end of the day. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Just my opinion on the matter and letting a little steam out. I know that regardless of how I feel about the look "forced" I mean chosen for the line Jerry will knock it out of the park and fans that do like the modern look will love it.
Of course you conveniently failed to highlight this part of that same quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Sorry, but I've been a MK fan since it first hit the arcade in 1992 and I love these new costume designs. I bought every Mortal Kombat game up until MK 4. The only 3D Mortal Kombat I've ever played was Armageddon, and I bought it used for $11 just because I was feeling nostalgic. I never had any interest in the 3D version of MK, but I wanted to see what Armageddon was like.

I appreciate that there are still some people who would have preferred the original designs, but to say that the new designs are only appreciated by the 3D MK fans is nonsense. Its very simple actually, these new designs are just plain badass. The only thing that the originals have going for them is their sense of nostalgia. I love the fact that original skins will be available as DLC (I will definitely be getting them), but these new designs are great and I think they are better suited for the statue form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Mister View Post
Of course you're right that not all old school MK fans prefer the old school style and that's not what I meant to insinuate so i'm sorry if that's how it came off, but I can assure you that it is more than just "some" or a simple handful who do. You can see how crazy people already are about the classic skins and how much they're willing to pay for them on ebay even though they will be available as a dlc pack down the line for a lot less. That shows you how much people like the classic look. I personally think that's a bit extreme, but it's their money. $90 for a download code? I'm sure those same people would gladly pay a premium for a high end statue with the same look. The old costumes are not just simply nostalgic for old school fans. They're the definitive look for the characters and represent the time when MK meant the most and was at the top of its game. They were the same costumes warn in the 1995 movie too so their exposure was huge.

People can dispute which costumes they like best, the constantly changing modern ones or the classics, but there is no disputing the fact that the classic costumes are the iconic look for the characters and are what I personally would've wanted if I were going to start getting statues of MK characters. Just like the Street Fighter line. Variants are cool, but the fans want the classic colors and costumes of the fighters for a reason, because they are their iconic look. I'd be buying these statues as hallmark to the franchise after all.

The single best way I can describe it is like this. I would rather have these characters as statues in their classic iconic costumes that mean something and that I associate as being the look for Mortal Kombat, rather than have a sweet costume from the latest game that is just simply a design choice for the look of the character in this game and will be totally different again the next game. The iconic look will always be the iconic look. The latest look will be just that. The latest look of the character. That's not as enticing to me, even if that look is "sweet" or "bad ass" etc. to some.

We can agree to disagree. The one thing I am glad about is that the MK series is finally getting high quality statues made. It has been long overdue and I can't believe how long it took. I do know that others tried in the past (including Jerry) but Midway, when they were still in business and the owners, wanted too much money at the time for the license. I know the statue Jerry has made will be great, it just won't be the version I, and possibly even Jerry himself (remember this is the design WBG insisted that he use and he made sure to note that) would've wanted.
As well as this follow up post to another persons comments echoing yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Wow it sounds like someone speaks in factual terms as well. Funny cause when i think of MK and why it was so iconic it was due to the gore (fatalities) and the actual characters themselves. Even when that game came out and i remember seeing it for the first time at UCLA arcade, I wasnt drawn to it because of the costumes.

So maybe, just maybe others feel the same way.

And I see you speak for others as well. Double standard dude....double standard all the way! Well shoot, if you feel I've got issues, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that does. Thanks for joining the party!

OHHHH and by the way, sometimes more is more.

I'm now finished with this as I've stated my opinions (facts according to Sinister) and I will now quit this argument as I've already won this pointless and meaningless discussion.

I don't care who Jerry makes next, as long as its a great sculpt. That should be the bottom line of this thread. Excitement for Jerry making MK sculpts that are exquisitely done.

Excellent work on the newest sculpt of Scorpion Jerry. I wont alienate myself from your work just because its not the version I want. I can go on record and say that I was one of the strongest advocaters of MK statues since I started collecting years ago, and I am with you for the long haul as long as i have the money and means to do so.
Sinister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #234
Bruticus

Oki here is the evolution of Subby

MK 1

MK 2

MK 3

MK 4

MK Deadly alliance

MK Armageddon /Decepticon

and now...MK 9

I say MK 9 if just about perfekt. The MK1 is just plain boring but has an iconic feel to it but for me the most iconic look is MK2. However Subbys MK 9 apperance still holds all traits of him they just made the armor a little more detailed then just plin boring blue and black fabric.
Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #235
Sinister Mister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus View Post
Oki here is the evolution of Subby

MK 2

What you have listed as Sub-Zero's MK 2 outfit is actually his classic Sub-Zero outfit from UMK3.

Here is his MK 2 outfit
Sinister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #236
biglebowski9999

The arguing is pointless. I don't claim to speak for the entire fandom, but if I had to guess I would say most fans like both the classic AND the updated outfits for most characters. So those of you in the Classic Only and New Versions Only camps...you are both most-likely in the minority.

let's get back to begging for some pics of Scorpion. I'd like to see something bigger than the magazine scan already.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #237
Spartacus

Guys, i just want to say, please stay positive!....

We are all entitle to our opinion and this being a forum of discussion will bring all sorts of opinions, views and perspectives!...

The important thing to remember, my forum Brothers and Sisters, is to respect each one's opinion weather you agree or not!....

Make your post and move on!....don't pick on people or make them feel bad for making there point!

At the end of the day , we are all here for the same reason, because we enjoy this hobby, so lets keep this forum space free of conflicts and simply enjoy our time here posting with friends!

Blessings!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #238
Ryu

Nice post Sparty, but I've been waiting on the fatality.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #239
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTACUS View Post
Guys, i just want to say, please stay positive!....

We are all entitle to our opinion and this being a forum of discussion will bring all sorts of opinions, views and perspectives!...

The important thing to remember, my forum Brothers and Sisters, is to respect each one's opinion weather you agree or not!....

Make your post and move on!....don't pick on people or make them feel bad for making there point!

At the end of the day , we are all here for the same reason, because we enjoy this hobby, so lets keep this forum space free of conflicts and simply enjoy our time here posting with friends!

Blessings!
Brother Sparty, the peacemaker! Hail, brother! It's incredibly coincidental, but I was just giving this same advice to someone on the Freaks board on the T1 thread. You may be a bit more peacable than me, because I almost immediately followed up with some venom spewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post

Nice speech sparty, but I've been waiting on the fatality.
YES!!! My brother! What the hell are you still doing awake? Doing some night huntin' for gators?
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #240
Spartacus

[QUOTE=Barbarian;3889642]Brother Sparty, the peacemaker! Hail, brother! It's incredibly coincidental, but I was just giving this same advice to someone on the Freaks board on the T1 thread. You may be a bit more peacable than me, because I almost immediately followed up with some venom spewing.

Yeah, but your a Barbarian!...There peace making threshold only going so far!

Also prepare yourself !...over there you will be doing that allot!......How are you bro?....don't like that your not around here as much!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote