Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #231
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Does Mark Waid's run count as "modern"? He is the definitive Flash writer, IMO. He did so many cool things with Wally West and the other DCU speedsters, and his "speed force" concept changed the way I looked at the Flash's powers. Waid's storyline was so good that I stopped thinking about Barry Allen... Wally had surpassed him.

I believe the whole run has been collected, but it's due for a reprint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
I have read both the waid and JOhns run both HIGHLy recommend. I did enjoy Johns run a little better but you cant go wrong with either
Just looked into the Johns run and will check it out. There's a thick GJ Flash trade coming out later this year - perfect timing.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #232
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Just looked into the Johns run and will check it out. There's a thick GJ Flash trade coming out later this year - perfect timing.
Enjoy I loved this run so much I bought original artwork on my favorite issue. Which was not easy to track down nor was it cheap. But I will NEVER sell it. Its my favorite DC character, during my favorite run, in my favorite issue. Both flash and professor zoom

xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #233
Babytoxie
Ghost

I just finished rereading a good chunk of Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America... The Winter Soldier, Red Menace, and The Death of Captain America. Still a great storyline, but the whole thing is so dark and depressing that I probably won't go near it for a while. Time for some more Batman '66!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #234
risingstar
Jedi Order

Thor - "The God Butcher" + "Godbomb" - By Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. Awesome writing. Awesome art. If you are a Thor fan, you owe it to yourself to pick up these two trades or the HC which collects both trades (issues 1-11). I absolutely loved it. Right now, imo, Jason Aaron is the best writer Thor has had since Simonson. Great things will be coming from this writer on this title.

9.5/10

"Y, The Land Man" issues 1-60 (Trade paperback volumes 1-10). I finally got to read this entire series. My local library had all 10 collected trades so I thought, why not go for a binge read. Verdict -- It was okay. It was a quick and easy read with some suspense, but the storyline quickly became silly and farcical, the dialogue was outdated and often superficial and unsophiticated, and the ending left me feeling quite unfulfilled. All this to say that I likely should not have read Jason Aaron's "The God Butcher" and "God bomb" trades before reading Y, The Last Man. The difference in maturity and compelling writing styles was night and day. I find Aaron's work so captivating. I haven't been as impressed by a comic writer in a long while.

6.5/10
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #235
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Eternals - By Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr. Sadly, Gaiman proves once again, at least to me, how much an overrated blowhard he can be. This hardcover collection went nowhere and completely bored me. Literally, nothing of note happened. This book quickly went to the "will never read again" pile.

3/10

Irredeemable - By Mark Waid and various issues 1-24 (tpb vol 1-6) Clever tale of a bad guy gone good. Not bad, but not amazing either as those 24 issues could have easily been written in 12. Still, better than average. Recommended if there's nothing else to read at the library.

6.5/10

A Game of Thrones vol 1 - By George R.R. Martin; adapted by Daniel Abraham with art by Tommy Patterson. This graphic novel pretty much covers what we saw on TV and doesn't stray much from it. Nothing new to see here which was a bit disappointing. Still a decent fun read.

7/10
Old 09-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #236
risingstar
Jedi Order

Thor - "The Accursed" By Jason Aaron and Ron Garney. Again - Awesome writing. Fabulous artwork. This trade collects issues 12-18. There's no doubt in my mind that Jason Aaron will be remembered as one of the best writers on Thor. Looking forward to read the next TPB. I'm going to pick up some of his other books and give them a shot.

9.5/10

Superman - "Earth One Volume One" By J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis. Enjoyable revamp on Superman's origin. Too bad JMS didn't stick around to write more Superman comics.

7/10

Superman - "Grounded" By J. Michael Straczynski and Eddy Barrows. JMO takes Superman on a pensive walkabout. Reprints Superman issues 700-706. Enjoyable read, although be prepared for lots and lots of word balloons and very little action. Too bad JMS didn't stick around to write more Superman comics. His books have a tendency to feel unfinished, which they generally are...

7/10
Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #237
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Agree about Aaron in general and on Thor in particular. I had a conversation with him once where he told me his dream was to write Fantastic Four, which I can only hope happens one day. I think both he and Mark Waid are the best writers in comics today, even over Geoff Johns.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #238
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
I am going to grab the Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection Volume 1. I missed it when it came out and was waiting for the eventual omnibus but it looks like this will be the best format they plan on doing/
Just finished this. Excellent read!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #239
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Batman Vol. 7 Endgame

Well written story by Snyder with The Joker facing off Batman for the final time?

Capullo's Art just does wonders....his Justice League isn't too shabby.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #240
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
Batman Vol. 7 Endgame

Well written story by Snyder with The Joker facing off Batman for the final time?

Capullo's Art just does wonders....his Justice League isn't too shabby.
Not a chance it's the final time. If you're reading the current Batman title you can infer the fate of The Joker as being the same as Bruce.