Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #241
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf65 View Post
You really think it's just meh...or actually dislike it?
My previous post was originally a point by point critique of it, until I realized nobody wants to read that.
People either like it or they don't. It'a not always easy to articulate why one thing strongly resonates with you and another thing doesn't.
My observations, especially since I won't be buying it, are meaningless.

I will say, since Asgard mentioned he cancelled the Hush Poison Ivy to swing RS, that for my tastes, and what I look for in this stuff, that Ivy walks all over this Sonja.

It's not about liking the character more (I'm actually not a Jim Lee or Hush/Batman fan), compositionally, narratively, and figure-wise I think it's extremely well done. If I cared just a little bit more about those characters and wasn't already out of space, I would be seriously considering grabbing that one.

I'm sure that anyone who likes this RS in proto form won't be disappointed with the final production pieces. 1/3, in a diorama no less, is an epic size. It's one thing to evaluate, and dismiss, certain qualities via photos. It's funny how much of that can melt away when you are actually, physically, in it's presence.
And if you already like it in the photos...
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #242
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
My previous post was originally a point by point critique of it, until I realized nobody wants to read that.
People either like it or they don't. It'a not always easy to articulate why one thing strongly resonates with you and another thing doesn't.
My observations, especially since I won't be buying it, are meaningless.

I will say, since Asgard mentioned he cancelled the Hush Poison Ivy to swing RS, that for my tastes, and what I look for in this stuff, that Ivy walks all over this Sonja.

It's not about liking the character more (I'm actually not a Jim Lee or Hush/Batman fan), compositionally, narratively, and figure-wise I think it's extremely well done. If I cared just a little bit more about those characters and wasn't already out of space, I would be seriously considering grabbing that one.

I'm sure that anyone who likes this RS in proto form won't be disappointed with the final production pieces. 1/3, in a diorama no less, is an epic size. It's one thing to evaluate, and dismiss, certain qualities via photos. It's funny how much of that can melt away when you are actually, physically, in it's presence.
And if you already like it in the photos...
As far as I'm concerned being able to discus personal observations and opinions is the whole purpose of these forums, hence they are far from meaningless.

As you say some will like her and some won't, I fall into the third category of...meh, for the time being I'll wait and see, having not seen a 1/3 statue in person (I know I lead a sheltered life) I can only imagine how impressive they would be.
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #243
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf65 View Post
As far as I'm concerned being able to discus personal observations and opinions is the whole purpose of these forums, hence they are far from meaningless.
There's not much to "discuss" really. I mean, beyond first impressions, good or bad, everything from there devolves into repetition of perspective, or, preaching the gospel of "my truth is the only truth"......unless something in your view has changed your original opinion.

Honestly speaking, I never really understand why people return to threads where they've already announced they have no interest in the piece....surely it makes more sense to spend time "discussing" a piece you like or want to buy.....

For my sins, this piece has grown on me, since my original disappointment. I love the scale, and the execution of the piece outweighs any negatives I first felt.....finances and life permitting, I plan to add this to my collection.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #244
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
There's not much to "discuss" really. I mean, beyond first impressions, good or bad, everything from there devolves into repetition of perspective, or, preaching the gospel of "my truth is the only truth"......unless something in your view has changed your original opinion.

Honestly speaking, I never really understand why people return to threads where they've already announced they have no interest in the piece....surely it makes more sense to spend time "discussing" a piece you like or want to buy.....

For my sins, this piece has grown on me, since my original disappointment. I love the scale, and the execution of the piece outweighs any negatives I first felt.....finances and life permitting, I plan to add this to my collection.
As I'm at 50/50 on this I'll keep returning to see how it progresses, but i do understand where you're coming from...although i do also return to some threads purely due to the entertainment value of some discussions.
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #245
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I'll entertain things such as buying when Sideshow becomes a distributor again.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #246
nearmint
Phoenix

Nice that both 1/3 and 1/4 collectors have RS pieces to choose him.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #247
Shoo
Hercules

Pics by Prime 1:

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #248
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:

I agree with the principle. But I admit I had sometimes a guilty pleasure intervening several times in a thread about a statue I didn’t like. Psylocke, coming from outer space for example...

About Sonja, i'm hoping for an other head. We'll see.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #249
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:

I understand, and appreciate, this sentiment more now than I used to.

For me, when I revisit a thread for something I don't initially like, it's to see if and how anyone else may be articulating my similar feelings about it. Or, OTOH, to gain a new appreciation for some aspect of it that I didn't really see before, thanks to an admirer pointedly highlighting it. Then it becomes a struggle to resist chiming in another 2¢.
But it's always only because the property itself is something I care about. I'm reflexively prejudiced to like it because I like the character or theme. When my reaction is the opposite, I either want to understand why that is, or possibly be moved to see it in another light. There are a whole lot of things I see in this forum that I roll my eyes at, or could critique simply on aesthetic grounds- but it's usually related to things I have no interest in. It's easy to hold your tongue and pass on by in those cases.

While there are still some aspects of this RS that don't, and probably never will truly work for me, that last pic that Shoo just posted does makes me appreciate the overall composition much more than I did before. I can easily imagine the appeal this would have, especially when seen in person and up close. So much so that I could imagine changing my view on it near completely if I ever saw it on display somewhere.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #250
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Pics by Prime 1:

The texture work really shines in these large high resolution images. Love to see her in person.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote