Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #251
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Did Jim Rowell or Arahom paint this? It looks more like Arahom's style to me, with the extra dark low areas.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #252
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I think Arahom did according to one of his comments on FB. It's been a while since their last video but I think I recall there were two prototypes (one for the factory and one for NYCC)? Maybe only one got sent to Rowell for paint up.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #253
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

On the videos they said Jim Rowell is going to paint it, now Arahom painted in.Colors don't look good. I guess they went the cheap way to save money again. These pictures is what is going to sell your product have it painted the best you can like DD.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #254
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I don't mind Arahom's paint work, it is just a unique style.

Most (I think) paint the base coat a little darker and then spray the high areas of skin with a slightly lighter tone. Arahom does the opposite and sprays the whole thing light and then the low areas with darker tone. The result is usually very pronounced color differences in the low areas of skin.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #255
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I wouldn't be too up or down on the color until we see it at NYCC. The studio shots of Death Dealer 1 and Huntress looked pretty drastically different from what was shown on the floor. Color was deeper/richer/darker and if I remember right they said they didn't change the color.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #256
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I don't mind Arahom's paint work, it is just a unique style.

Most (I think) paint the base coat a little darker and then spray the high areas of skin with a slightly lighter tone. Arahom does the opposite and sprays the whole thing light and then the low areas with darker tone. The result is usually very pronounced color differences in the low areas of skin.
Always better to start with a light than work to dark...harder to highlight a dark base skin tone than darken or shade a light skin tone.

Looks like he took the lead from some of Paul Moores Barbarian paintups, Paul had a lot painted up in that dark skin tone.

I personally like what he did with it...like Ehren said its just preferences.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #257
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Always better to start with a light than work to dark...harder to highlight a dark base skin tone than darken or shade a light skin tone.

Looks like he took the lead from some of Paul Moores Barbarian paintups, Paul had a lot painted up in that dark skin tone.

I personally like what he did with it...like Ehren said its just preferences.
That's interesting. I don't paint at all but the instructional videos I have seen including from like David Fisher you start with the darker and then either with airbrush or dry brush the "high" or what would be most lighted areas with the same color just a little lighter.

I also am fine with Arahom's work as I said and I really hope they don't overlighten it.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #258
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I'm not an expert when it comes to painting techniques but the tanned skin of the girl definitely doesn't look right.
And far more important I don't recognise her face at all. There is no resemblance at all with the original painting. Am I the only one seeing that ?
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #259
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Paint and base (less blood) adjustment up on FB.

RE the girl, the face is really hard to see in the painting so I don't have much of an issue with it. The moore version kind of thinned her down some. I like that Ehren kept her Frazetta-esque body on this one.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #260
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
I'm not an expert when it comes to painting techniques but the tanned skin of the girl definitely doesn't look right.
And far more important I don't recognise her face at all. There is no resemblance at all with the original painting. Am I the only one seeing that ?
You aren't the only one Kriegsfuerst. The paint up is lacking in several areas for me. Instead of accentuating the fine detail in the raw sculpt, it's muting it. The repaint looks slightly better but just isn't speaking to me like I thought it would. The sculpt is still magnificent though.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote