Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #251
risingstar
Jedi Order

Wolverine - Old Man Logan written by Mark Millar and pencilled by Steve McNiven.

The art in this mini-series was magnificent. While the storyline was largely predictable, it had a number of interesting elements. However, I wouldn't let the predictability factor deter anyone from picking up this trade paperback. This was a fun read. Hopefully, there will be a sequel in the works at some point.

8/10
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #252
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I am currently reading Saga...into the 4th tpb right now. So far, so good.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #253
risingstar
Jedi Order

Justice League - Volume 1 Origin written by Geoff Johns and pencilled by Jim Lee.

This TPB collects issues 1-6 of the new-52 Justice League. I'll start with the positive: the artwork was magnificent, i.e., lots of splash pages, action scenes, and variations in costume design. The negative, and this is a huge one, it's that the characterizations were barely recognizable. I can go on about it but it's clear DC intended to take these characters in a different direction. This book served as yet another example to remind me that more and more books today are likely not written for my generation of readership.

I have the sequel to this TPB on my night table. Hopefully, the characters will come off more likeable during the second story arc. At the very least, there will be Jim Lee artwork.

6/10 - The artwork bumped this up a couple of points as the story was a 4/10 at best.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #254
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I really like the art of Jim Lee-in general- but can't give more than a 4/10 to this run.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #255
risingstar
Jedi Order

Justice League - Volume 2 - The villain's journey written by Geoff Johns and pencilled by Jim Lee, and misc.

This TPB collects issues 7-12 of the new-52 Justice League. Again, the artwork was delightful, however, the writing felt even more disjointed and erratic than the first tpb collection. You get a sense of things happening "somewhere else". Also, very little to no growth of the characters. The WW and Superman kissing scene seems thrown together out of nowhere... I'm struggling to find a single redeeming moment in the book.

5/10 - The artwork bumped this up a couple of points as the story was a 3/10 at best.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #256
SONICobra
Batman

lol cant argue with ya there
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #257
whd
Suicide Squad

The New 52 Justice League is nothing but a disappointment, until Forever Evil.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #258
Babytoxie
Ghost

Mad's Original Idiots slipcase set - a 3-volume set of standard size trades featuring the work of Jack Davis, Will Elder, and Wally Wood from the first 23 issues of Mad, in full color. This material is 60 years old and it still makes me laugh.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #259
risingstar
Jedi Order

Wolverine - Enemy of the State written by Mark Millar and pencilled by John Romita Jr.

This mini-series collects Wolverine issues 20-32. It sure was lots of fun to read. There's very little better than high stakes, a great villain, with a clever dose of "I haven't seen that done with Wolverine before". Very much recommended. Issue #32, which was a one-off, was a very touching tale.

8.5/10
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #260
risingstar
Jedi Order

Catwoman - Trail of the Catwoman written by Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke with additional art by misc.

I don't think I've ever read anything involving Ed Brubaker or Darwyn Cooke that I didn't like. This was no different. While Catwoman isn't exactly the most interesting DC character, these stories were actually fun to read, especially those issues pencilled by Darwyn Cooke.

This TPB collects Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel, "Selina's big score" (which gets a 9/10) and Catwoman issues 1-9 (which gets a 7/10)

8/10