Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #281
bimbocao
Frackin!

Yes, I think all of us who were waiting for that DS 1:4 to make some company our TH 1:4 have jumped this ship with that absurd price.
Now there's only one competition, DS 1:3 vs P1 1:3
There's really no competition until DS releases decent photos

And there won't be any competition if DS only makes a very small batch of their 1:3, as they announced.
Seeing all this, I like my TH 1:4 more and more, and more for the price I paid. That was one of the best purchases of my life xD
bimbocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #282
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
I also wonder if those head sculpts will still look quite as good when shrunken down to 1/4. Or will it look even more like a Sideshow PF from 10 years ago?
I'd say we're already looking at the 1/4 piece. : )

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #283
Straken-SWE
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbocao View Post
Yes, I think all of us who were waiting for that DS 1:4 to make some company our TH 1:4 have jumped this ship with that absurd price.
Now there's only one competition, DS 1:3 vs P1 1:3
There's really no competition until DS releases decent photos

And there won't be any competition if DS only makes a very small batch of their 1:3, as they announced.
Seeing all this, I like my TH 1:4 more and more, and more for the price I paid. That was one of the best purchases of my life xD
I still think it's a good idea, if I decide to pick this up I would choose 1/4 and that being the main reason for sure
Besides its not like I would save money on bying a more expensive 1/3 piece, and not being able to display it in a good way would be pointless for me.

I'm not defending the price, I think it's a bit to much, but maybe just maybe the maskless portrait combined with the reason above would make it worth it.
For me personally of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
I also wonder if those head sculpts will still look quite as good when shrunken down to 1/4. Or will it look even more like a Sideshow PF from 10 years ago?
I would be more worried how bad the cats would look in 1/3 tbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I'd say we're already looking at the 1/4 piece. : )
I think you are correct, good catch
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #284
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I think we'd all like 2020 pricing in 2022, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

As for Darkside quality vs. Prime 1 quality, at least with Darkside they match their proto. You know what you're getting. Prime 1 is very hit or miss in that regard.
To be fair, you can still buy a Tweeterhead's Catwoman from Sideshow today for $590. As far as pricing goes, it hasn't gone up much for that particular statue. Perhaps Sideshow still has a large inventory from 2020 and be able to maintain the price that way. Anyway, Sideshow and Tweeterhead are still the best companies out there when it comes to good quality statues with attractive price point. Darkside could very well be part of that group if they would work on the pricing a bit harder and perhaps remove the swappable parts to bring it down. Having multiple swappable parts is P1's game which perhaps doesn't suit Darkside.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #285
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmdel View Post
Remember that for $899 1/4 DS you will get 2 extra cats, a light up base and an extra portrait in comparison with Tweeterhead 1/4 for $590....

but I agree with you... if I decide to go with 1/4, then Tweeterhead will be the one because of price.... the pose is awesome too
Totally.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:54 PM   #286
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
To be fair, you can still buy a Tweeterhead's Catwoman from Sideshow today for $590. As far as pricing goes, it hasn't gone up much for that particular statue. Perhaps Sideshow still has a large inventory from 2020 and be able to maintain the price that way. Anyway, Sideshow and Tweeterhead are still the best companies out there when it comes to good quality statues with attractive price point. Darkside could very well be part of that group if they would work on the pricing a bit harder and perhaps remove the swappable parts to bring it down. Having multiple swappable parts is P1's game which perhaps doesn't suit Darkside.
The Tweeterhead Catwoman has an ES of 7500. Darkside's edition sizes tend to be 500 or less, and sometimes a lot less. It's just not possible to produce a small edition size at the price of a large edition size.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Sideshow and Tweeterhead, but I don't expect Darkside to be able to compete with their pricing.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:21 PM   #287
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
The Tweeterhead Catwoman has an ES of 7500. Darkside's edition sizes tend to be 500 or less, and sometimes a lot less. It's just not possible to produce a small edition size at the price of a large edition size.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Sideshow and Tweeterhead, but I don't expect Darkside to be able to compete with their pricing.
In this hobby, 7500 is like an unlimited supply......
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #288
Frankierock
Inhumans

Ok so are there 2 different Bases? One for the 1/4 and 1 for the 1/3?
Because those 2 smiley cat faces look attached in the first picture, and I don?t see a key on the 2nd pic.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #289
bearmdel
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post

Ok so are there 2 different Bases? One for the 1/4 and 1 for the 1/3?
Because those 2 smiley cat faces look attached in the first picture, and I don?t see a key on the 2nd pic.
It looks like to me that the peg on Catwoman is in the center, which means that you can have the neon lights in the front and the Batman Returns logo on the back or vice versa? the cat heads on the base are separate so you can display with or without, specially if you turn the base around. I?m pretty sure the cats and the newspaper will be separate pieces so you can display how you want it
bearmdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #290
Hobbyist

Quote:

Good point. Edition size does make a huge difference. Having such a small ES for their statues is a major disadvantage for Darkside. They can't compete with companies like Tweeterhead for production scale and pricing and they can't compete with P1 for quality. Not a good place to be in.

One would expect a statue with exquisite quality, intricate details and fine craftsmanship in every way for such a limited ES. Frankly I would expect a much larger ES from Darkside for what they are offering. I fully understand statues from JND having a small ES, but statues from Drakside is not in the same category IMO, not yet. I wonder what is holding them back.