Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #281
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawngod1 View Post
Just look at them, pictures are worth a thousand words.
Well said. The sculpt and paint apps on these 7 statues are the best i've seen in many years.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #282
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawngod1 View Post
Just look at them, pictures are worth a thousand words.
Thanks for pointing that out. I wanted to get owners opinions.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #283
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
So guys, straight up, how does this line compare to the other industry big boys like Sideshow etc? I'm really thinking about jumping on this line, especially as all the girls are available and can be reviewed.
Honestly, while I love Sideshow and have mainly a Sideshow based collection, the Sucker Punch girls blow away my Sideshow pieces in terms of detail and paint apps. They are all gorgeous, have amazing skin tones, suberb detail (down to individual laces, hand painted fishnets, buckles, etc), and awesome shading. If you're thinking of collecting some, or all of them, I highly recommend them, even if you can't/don't get Babydoll.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #284
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Honestly, while I love Sideshow and have mainly a Sideshow based collection, the Sucker Punch girls blow away my Sideshow pieces in terms of detail and paint apps. They are all gorgeous, have amazing skin tones, suberb detail (down to individual laces, hand painted fishnets, buckles, etc), and awesome shading. If you're thinking of collecting some, or all of them, I highly recommend them, even if you can't/don't get Babydoll.
Thanks! I'm looking to try to get Babydoll first, and pck the others up later...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #285
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Thanks! I'm looking to try to get Babydoll first, and pck the others up later...
I can almost guarantee you you won't be disappointed with any of them. I really love the set, and am so glad that I started collecting them.

To be totally honest, while I was making fun of the Honey Trap girls because I thought they were a rip of the SP girls, if GG pulls them off in the same quality as the SP girls, I will probably pick some of them up.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #286
dechirico7
The Flash

I wrote a novel discussing what I like and don't like about these pieces and it became too word heavy. So, I decided to do a positive and negative list instead.

Positives
Amazing Detail
Great Portraits
Paint application (There is actual shading and great textures!)
1/4 Scale
Display well together
Complete set of characters
Price of first four girls

Negatives
Delicate, very breakable
(this makes me question their longevity)
Acrylic bases scratch if you don't display them on fabric
Easy to break if you want to repackage them
Lots of broken pieces (decapitated Ambers) This could also be a positive, less pieces on the market.
Issues with bases fitting (Sweet Pea and Blondie)
Blondie's price

My main issue with these is how breakable they are. I am a girl, I have small hands and I am really careful with my statues. I still had issues with breaking the belt on Blondie, a helmet strap on Sweet Pea and bending the gun charms on Babydoll. Sweet Pea's helmet strap, thankfully, broke at a glue joint, so that will be an easy fix. And Blondie's break was very clean and small. After mending it, the break isn't even visible anymore. I am not too happy with the charm situation on Babydoll though. There is a metal wire inside the charms, which makes it easy to bend them back, but the paint has chipped off. I think it would have been better if the charms were more incorporated into the sculpt.

Sure, other companies have breakage issues too, but not quite like this. I've had more issues with these girls than any of my Sideshow pieces. This might sound funny, but sometimes I am relieved by the more simple pieces. For instance, I recently received the Evil Queen premium format by Sideshow. OMG, she is so minimal, but so AWESOME. Seriously, I can move her around, turn her upside down, easily insert her into her base. It was great! No tears, no sweat, no swearing. My point is, yes, these Sucker Punch statues are incredibly detailed and painted perfectly, but there is a price. BE CAREFUL!
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #287
JoesphJ
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Not a big fan of screwing in the statue to the base. I guess that's why this statue is $250 rather then $300+.
JoesphJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #288
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesphJ View Post
Not a big fan of screwing in the statue to the base. I guess that's why this statue is $250 rather then $300+.
Now, this I completely agree with. It's a total pain in the a$$.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #289
JoesphJ
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Now, this I completely agree with. It's a total pain in the a$$.
I get very nervous when I had to screw the girls onto the base. These statues are extremely fragile. Still need to get me a babydoll though.
JoesphJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #290
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

When you guys say fragile, are you just referring to the unsupported sculpted detail or a flaw in the manufacturing process that means the resin material is substandard?