Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #2981
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Lol, this is comic book art, which is pretty tacky and should be confined to your hobby room. It's not the Mona Lisa or something.
You mean you don’t make people sign waivers and leave their phones at the door when they come into your house? God you make me sick.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #2982
SDguy

It seems the recast discussion has hit the comic art print community LOL.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #2983
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
You mean you don’t make people sign waivers and leave their phones at the door when they come into your house? God you make me sick.
#ImDead

This post is so good.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #2984
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Just received my copy of this art print (not Sideshow). Totally getting this one professionally framed to go with my X-Men collection.

Hey! I just noticed something.. I have variant covers from which this print is taken from and there are some subtle differences...

(The books were literally on my table when I was going through the thread)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6449.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	131113  
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #2985
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakarhimself View Post
Hey! I just noticed something.. I have variant covers from which this print is taken from and there are some subtle differences...

(The books were literally on my table when I was going through the thread)
Yep, he did two versions. From what I understand, the one I posted was the original but Marvel wanted him to make some changes including Cyke's and Jean's costume. The sky is also a little darker. The comic covers you have are the final post-Marvel feedback images.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #2986
slow17motion
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
You're going to get crap. What ghetto, poor fool prints their art using hi res images off the net and using Vistaprint with some cheap ass frames. Dude, step your life up. James Jean just released a timed print today for $500. Art is subjective and in no way is anyone getting ripped off due to a limited edition piece of art because art is as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. The fact you are undercutting artists to save a few bucks is gross and I assure you whatever Michael's frame up/home printer art combo you're proud to hang on your walls doesn't look as good as going through the correct avenues to obtain art from either a company, dealer, or artist direct.
You sound like a psycho. Take a pill or three.

First of all, the frames that you're getting from Sideshow are NOT that impressive. They're overpriced and you're paying mostly for the expense of shipping it carefully.

Second of all, the art reprints, when mounted correctly, are not discernible from the real thing unless you're trained to tell the difference. And the cost differential is staggering. You can buy a six foot mural for $43--but you're going to pay $350 to get a small print of Colossus with an "automated pencil signature"--which will not increase greatly in value as the demand will not be that high.

Sideshow is not selling hand-drawn, hand-painted prints. They are using large printers. We have one at the school I work at. They are capable of printing the EXACT SAME QUALITY. And the hi-res images that they use--guess what? Unless the picture is blown up to a much larger size, the end result will be a picture that looks the same when using a hi-res image pulled from online.

As far as "hurting the artist"--guess what? If they're NOT SELLING THE PRINT ANYMORE, you're NOT HURTING ANYONE. Do you get that?

Now, simmer down, weirdo.
slow17motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #2987
slow17motion
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Lol, this is comic book art, which is pretty tacky and should be confined to your hobby room. It's not the Mona Lisa or something.
I wouldn't hang the Mona Lisa in my house if I was given the actual painting. (I'd sell it.) Why? It doesn't conform to my personal tastes, and I only put things up in my house that I enjoy looking at or have a personal connection to.

Besides, I like Gustav Klimt, but one of his paintings sold for $135 million. That's worth several times what my house is worth, so if I'm going to hang one of Klimt's paintings up it'd be a print. Also, it's sort of difficult to style your house around 19th century/early 20th century symbolist painters. I prefer a more modern aesthetic and some comic book art goes nicely with that. You know what would look really tacky? The Mona Lisa mounted on the wall next to a 4K television set. So, get over yourself a little bit.

If you think "comic book art is tacky" you might be in the wrong place. The majority of statues are based upon comic book characters.

FYI, I just bought an ACTUAL painting to put on my wall for $200. It's being shipped from Mexico as we speak. But the fact of the matter is that prints are prints. Frames are frames. Most people won't ever tell the difference between a reproduction and an "original" mass produced print. Unless you're buying the ACTUAL artwork, where hand touched paper, you're paying for a print-out.

Finally, my entire house is my "hobby room" because I had the fortune of being born gay and I'm not at the mercy of a woman who "allows" me to spend my own money and decorate my own house. Sorry, friends--but us gay guys just have it better.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #2988
PCS_Sagat_Buyer
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow17motion View Post

As far as "hurting the artist"--guess what? If they're NOT SELLING THE PRINT ANYMORE, you're NOT HURTING ANYONE. Do you get that?
Thats flawed logic. If an artist sells a print with an edition of 50 and it sells out, then you think its OK to print out his work yourself because he's not selling it anymore? WHAT!? HUH!?! I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. Your 'FTW room' looks like a dorm room. I'm not talking about hanging the Mona Lisa in your room but at least make your room look like an adult lives there.
PCS_Sagat_Buyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #2989
slow17motion
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
Thats flawed logic. If an artist sells a print with an edition of 50 and it sells out, then you think its OK to print out his work yourself because he's not selling it anymore? WHAT!? HUH!?! I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. Your 'FTW room' looks like a dorm room. I'm not talking about hanging the Mona Lisa in your room but at least make your room look like an adult lives there.
I'm not decorating my house FOR YOU. I'm decorating it FOR ME. It's my spare room, and I will do with it as I please. If you don't like it, you can F right off.

By the way, you're arguing on a STATUE FORUM DEDICATED TO ADULTS TALKING ABOUT COMIC BOOK STATUES. So, if you are going to be a condescending prick about that sort of art, then perhaps pick a different venue.

Also, you aren't making an argument. You're whining. The artist isn't being hurt because I'm not reselling the prints or passing them off as originals. If they're limited edition, and he's sold them all, he is in no way being inconvenienced by me. There is no argument, so you've taken to just crying at me.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #2990
Demona
Lex Luthor

I think we went a whole page without mentioning Storm. Nice job PCS and SlowMotion

Edit: Guess I went and F’ed that up...
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote