Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #21
DSET
The Secret Six

xbr4\5 would be my upmost reccomendation
if you cant afford and dont mind the glossy screens
the 4071 should be just as good
only problem with it is that it doesnt look as good from a 45degree angle as it does from head on
and not the usual amount like most panels this one theres a bit of a difference

I have the set its quite awesome I prefer the glossy screen because i hardly watch during the day I hardly get any glare
I had the 4065 I bought with a warantee at employee price on launch day, fortunately there were some tad issues that I stuck to them and I was ablke to upgrade to 4071 at no extra cost
otherwise I would have got the xbr4 its got better colors more depth and it looks good from all angles
the clouding issues on it are minimal dont let that scare you away from having the best set on the market

I wouldnt reccomend the samsung 81series there are too many issues

a bunch of new sets are coming out or I believe are out already since I stopped working at BB I havent researched into them I would take a look if theres any new model from samsung coming out thats better than the 71(or 75 samething)\81 series

one thing is for sure steer clear of sharp and its horrendous banding
and toshiba PQ is still not up to par
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #22
DSET
The Secret Six

just read this review
looks to be the best lcd on the market
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32887597.html

the sammy 81 has better blacks but they are almost similar
and the sammy 81 colors arent that great plus its got a gang of issues

also this new set is available in matte and glossy finish and the off angle viewing is fixed

so if youre able to get this set for a similar price as the xbr4 or cheaper I would get it
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

A basic rule for TV size is that your seating area should be three times the distance of your TV's diagonal measurement. So a 42-inch screen would be best if your seating area is 10.5 ft away from the screen. If you go the 37-inch route I'd definitely compare the resolutions; at most seating distances with a 37-inch screen you won't notice a difference between 1080p and 720p, so it's something to consider.

If you're on a budget the Philips 47PFL7432D is probably the best TV in its price-range. The dynamic contrast ratio is 8,000:1, it has a 5ms response time, and is full 1080p. There's the Ambilight feature as well, though some people just consider it an annoyance, it's something to consider as well. As far as I've read there's no issues with it, and it has been well-received.

If you're looking to spend a bit more, then as DSET said, I'd go with the Samsung LN52A650 over the XBR. A quick Google search showed the Samsung coming in a bit cheaper than the XBR, which is always a good thing. The Sammy is the better TV it appears, but it sure is hard to beat the aesthetics of the XBR...
Spatial.Archite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

every time I see the new samsungs I'm blown away at what they can do.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #25
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I have a 37'' Vizio downstairs and it has every bit of the video quality of my "good" tv upstairs.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #26
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Just do your research G and you'll be alright. For example Samsung makes some of the best LCD's available but they also have some crappy ones out there too.

Worst thing you can do is go buy a TV based on brand alone. Panasonic and Pioneer are the plasma kings but both have some crappy plasmas out there.

You just have to do a little research.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #27
Raven1014
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Sony for LCD or Panasonic or Pioneer for Plasma.
Recently purchased the Pioneer Elite 50 inch plasma. Has an incredible picture for just plain TV/DVDs. When watching something in HD or Blu-ray, it's on of the best pictures I've ever seem. I would highly recommend it.
Raven1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
htwhlr
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I just bought a Sony Bravia 40'. It looks amazing. It's not the xbr series but looks just as nice in my opinion, and was $700 cheaper. I have a Xbox 360 and a Sony blu-ray hooked to it and it looks sweet. Easy tv menu as well which to me makes it worth it as well. ( Hate when I have to spend time learning controls)

In my opinion I would look at the Sony's.

I have two other Phillips Flat panels and both have audio issues. Over time the sound starts to switch between mono/stereo during regular play.

Even though Phillips makes nice looking tvs I wont buy another.

htwhlr
htwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
tarim69
Sailor Moon

The Pioneer Kuro. You can see some pics here.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rrerid=7683924

Its too bad Sony stopped making CRT's because IMHO they were the best thing going. I no longer thing Sony makes the best TVs. They used to but thats no tthe case anymore. I agree with DSET abotu Toshiba and Sharp. Avoid.

DO NOT buy a LCD - theyre garbage. Motion blur, inacurrate colors,bad black levels,and crappy fleshtones. They look the worst for 4:3 television material(which you have to deal with since the cable companies still arent up to snuff on HD material)

Im still using my Sony CRT. When it dies im gonna cry like a baby. If I had to get another TV tomorrow, the only choice for me would be the Kuro.

The next big thing is OLED technology, which will destroy LCD and has the potential to look nicer than CRT and Plasma.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #30
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don't know about LCD being garbage but personally I would go with a plasma. LCD's have closed the gap little by litte over the years but plasma is still the best. Flat panel of the year at least every time I can remember is always a plasma. Every year it's either a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma that takes best flat panel. When I upgrade my tv in a few years if I can get a 60+ inch plasma for a decent price that's what i'm going with.

I definitely agree that Sony doesn't make the best TV's but I disagree about Sony ever making the best tv's - And it's not because i'm not a Sony fan. Panasonic always had better tube TVs than Sony. Sony's best TVs came at the tale end of the reign of tube Tvs. I admit they made some great Tvs but Panasonic definitely had their number in the tube days.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote