Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 06-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #21
PIP
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
After seeing this, I don't know if I want to see the Classic Marvel sculpts, if and when they are ever started.......
yep, never had any interest in the movi sculpts anyways, but i'm not getting filled with hope for the classic sculpts...but i'll wait and see, it would be nice to have a peek at one tho, there must be some in the pipeline
PIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #22
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

OMG this sucks.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #23
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Damn...I had such high hopes for this set.
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #24
pdashnut12
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

ugly, ugly, ugly.
pdashnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
This is one of the problems with Marvel. They so want to push anything that deals with a movie property of their characters, and the sad thing is, although a select few individuals like and buy Marvel movie related collectibles, the bottom line is that most people who are avid fans and collectors of Marvel comics and other memorabilia and collectibles, want the Classic versions of their characters that have been in their printed comic publications in the past! Some modern characters are well suited for statueness as well.

In all fairness to Koto, these movie based statues that are being done is part of the package deal that they agreed to with Marvel, so it had to be done even if Koto didn't really want to do them. But the bottom line is, Koto should have already been showing something, or at least announced a Classic Marvel character they are doing in resin. That way, even if people are trashing Abomination, the anticipation of their classic Marvel characters won't get jarred as much.

The problem I have with Koto's three Marvel movie statues thus far have to do 1) with well, the fact they are movie based collectibles (whether the movies are great or not); and 2) the choice of poses for the characters. What do I mean?

The Iron Man pose (although the best of the bunch by far) is static and uninspiring and just doesn't do anything to excite me.

The Hulk pose is just a poor pose to choose. Why would you take this action pose (goofy neck half ****ed) instead of a more visually interesting and representative pose of the Hulk (you know, the one on the movie poster).

The Abomination (to Kotos credit, there isn't much visually appealing about this rendition of the character) would look crappy in any pose, since it really is a poorly designed character. Although the movie was great IMO, they should have left the original Marvel design of the character close to how he looks in the comic. Subtle changes here and there are ok, but massive changes like in the movie just shouldn't be done.

On a side note, why is it that the heroes in the movies tend to stay extremely close to their comic book counterparts, but the villains get the shaft big time? Somebody please make some logical sense out of that for me. I don't think a logical explanation can be made.

Anyways, I just hope this is the last of the Marvel movie based collectibles shown this year. I seriously hope Koto has some Classic statues to show at SDCC this year to take the bad taste of these movie related statues out of my mouth (Iron Man notwithstanding).
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #26
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Oh pass on this one, Bowen all the way!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
The Iron Man pose (although the best of the bunch by far) is static and uninspiring and just doesn't do anything to excite me.

Whatever man. I sold my Classic Bowen Iron-man because I firmly believe the Koto Movie Version blows it away.

As far as the pose being uninspiring, I think you're 100% wrong on that. It's accurately based on the production photos and has a nice museum quality feel to it.

The name plate is the only thing I don't care for.

Regardless, I'm still buying it.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #28
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I'll reserve judgement on the Abomination piece until a I see a final pic where it connects to the Hulk statue.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #29
Darth Pain

If the final production piece looks good I might buy the set but I'll try to get them cheap off Ebay.
They might go well togather. I think, Koto just over exaggerated Abominations pose a bit and I'm sure they will change the paint to look more like the movie.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #30
Darth Pain

Quick shop of the two...