Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
Royd
Producer
Producer

Glad you enjoyed checking out the Enemy Ace commission by Joe

As an aside, I had the opportunity to look around Joe's office which is festooned with many originals by other artists featuring characters whom Joe has worked on (eg. Neal Adams Sgt. Rock with a dedication to Joe).

However, it was a photo which attracted my attention which showed Joe (as a much younger man) presenting an original Tales of the Green Berets comic strip to ....... John Wayne!!! I said something highly original to Joe like.... "That's John Wayne!" to which Joe replied "Yep" with a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'll keep mine simple like the commission was. Mark Bagley with Spencer's help from start to finish about a week and half at most.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...46&GSub=105583

Mike
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Rocket
Art of Mod

Brilliant thread!!

I've had many, many wonderful commissioning experiences, but the first that jumps to mind is this one, which I actually started a thread about back when it happened

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=113890
I'll post the main points here anyway

Hey guys, so a while back my mate mwf was cool enough to organize a group of commissions from the supremely talented Heubert Khan Michael! There's SO many characters I'd like him to do for me, but Daredevil stood tall as the number one priority so that's who I chose. As the various pieces rolled in that others ordered I grew more and more excited until mine showed up, lucky last I believe My direction for the piece was, Daredevil on a Hell's Kitchen building, possibly on a gargoyle or something similar.

When the piece was finished, I loved many aspects of it but there were also a couple that bothered me. The Gargoyle IMO was hardly recognizable, the pose was a little odd for DD, the boots were just plain wrong, and I'm not a fan of the ridiculously long billy club cable that Quesada made famous. Also I got more of a foggy England vibe than a Hell's Kitchen one.

Here is the original piece:

Well, to both Heubert and his rep Kirk's credit, they asked if I was 100% happy. I mentioned my concerns and they were immediate in their desire to make me happy. At this point I expected HKM to burn through about four erasers and change some things. How wrong was I. Heubert started from scratch and I just couldn't be happier! I LOVE the unique POV and this is so much more what I had in mind. Wanted to share and give a shout out to a great artist who went the extra mile! Also thanks to Mikey for all the leg work! And here is what I now own!

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #24
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I've heard that DD story before, but those pieces are just so night and day.

The piece you ended up with in iconic in it's layout and the details truly sing. I love the way it looks like Daredevil has wings, like the saving Angel of Hell's Kitchen.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #25
Underdog07
Hercules

In 2009 I contacted Fred Hembeck on December 2nd asking about a commission (double page cover) to give to my son for Christmas. It was in my hands on December 10th.

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Last year, when Drew was doing his Ron Lim round up of commissions, I asked him if he could ask Ron if he would mind shipping the pencilled commission off to a former inker of his (Robert Jones) who has inked a number of his commissions in the past. All I did was provide Robert's e-mail address. I wasn't part of any of the kibbitzing Ron, Drew, or Robert may have had amongst themselves. A shortwhile later, this superb piece came to my door. Kudos to all involved for making this an incredibly smooth transaction.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
chrissnorek
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

One stands out more than all others. My wife got this Nowlan for me for Christmas. Kevin was terrific, helpful and all in all professional. He sent prelims, explained the process to her, was very fast. The best part? Seeing my name and address perfectly written in his handwriting on the address label

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...477&GSub=91641
chrissnorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #28
Leeloo
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Conny,

Those are both awesome pieces!!! While I've met Mark in passing at SDCC, I had the chance to hang out for a few days with Brian and the then Gaijin Studios crew some years back in Atlanta and found him to be a wonderful person and a hugely talented creator!

The eyes on the Australian Dawn piece are mesmerizing and the work is quite spectacular! I hadn't seen it before so I'm glad you posted

Don't misunderstand me, the Mark Brooks Dejah Thoris (inspired choice btw) is also beautifully done but my fave remains your Australian Dawn piece by Brian. Best,

Royd

[QUTE=Leeloo;3982078]I haven't gotten many commissions as it always seemed tough to get on any lists, but I decided to get on the impossible list for my first try with Brian Stelfreeze and what I got was an amazing experience and it happened really fast! He decided to make it a studio piece and I remember squealing with delight when I first downloaded the jpeg!
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...551&GSub=97115

The other unreal experience was this year at Heroes. I had Mark Brooks do a Dejah for me, I sent an email to him not thinking I would have much hope, but when he and his lovely wife Lisa found out I was flying out from Australia, they immediately put me on the list, and what I got was nothing short of spectacular.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...32&GSub=109802
He spent the entire day on it, and when he was done I still couldn't believe he had gone to so much trouble!
[/QUOTE]
You are right, Brian is really amazing, and what a great guy! I was fortunate enough to sit at his table for the three days at Heroes con and I couldn't get enough of watching him work! He is working on something new for me at the moment and can't wait to see what he does with the piece!
Leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote