Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

View Poll Results: Cavewoman as sculpted by Clay?
Hell yes I will buy. Cavewoman is a great comic. 35 60.34%
No i'll pass. 4 6.90%
I buy anything Clay sculpt anyway, so yes. 19 32.76%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayburn S Moore View Post
...ps-I doubt I'd license Cavewoman from Budd Root as I'm scheduled out in work for months, but I think he's a terrific artist and does a fine female form, but just a bit over the top in some ways...so to speak...great tan lines, though.
Really?!? I would think this would be a perfect set of reasons for you to sculpt her. I mean, look at your adaptation of Brandy. She's a bit "over the top", and some titillating tanlines would just be the icing on the cake!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Brood
Frackin!

Quote:
Honestly, I think you should get out of this if you think it's freakish or juveline. I don't think Rodin, Velasquez, Botticelli, etc, etc, etc are considered freaks. Throughout art history many artists have portrayed the female form, not because they aspired to some lofty ideal, but because they wanted to sculpt or paint naked women. They weren't freaks, they did it because it's beautiful and people are drawn to it. Why is it that in Europe, where the country wasn't colonized by Puritans, and where people don't have these uptight, anal, backwards views about the nude form, I have so many collectors who obtain my work because they appreciate the aesthetic? Thank God there are many collectors here that also collect becasue they know that there are some sculptors doing excellent work in the human form. I recently got a letter from a forum member who summed it up very well and I'll have to post it sometime.
I think you'd enjoy this more if you took more pride in your collection or you could get some nice dogs playing poker or clown paintings they'd appreciate........lol

A word or two about other people's perceptions......

The reality is that, as a person, you teach other people how they should treat you. If you give the impression that you are uncomfortable or embarrassed in any way about your statues, others will pick up on this and act in a way that reinforces these feelings. Everyone is going to have an opinion of you, you can't control that. You can only control how you act and react in any given situation.

Unfortunately we live in a time where certain subject matter is frowned upon. In this country a lot of people have problems with the portraying of a nude or sexual female body (actually, any nude body male or female). It's ironic because our media is so oversaturated with sex. I totally understand people not wanting to get hassled for having erotic statues of women in their homes, but the issue isn't the statue, the real issue is the desire to avoid being hassled. From my own experience I would say that if you don't put up with people's attitudes, eventually they will stop giving it to you. Imagine how much flak Clay has gotten over the years for his portrayal of women. I'm glad it hasn't prevented him from realizing his vision and creating his work. I also think that the real reason so many people seem to have a problem with statues of naked women is because they were conditioned to think a certain way about art and about the female body. Hopefully we will eventually get to the point where that conditioning can be broken down.

One last thing. We are living in time where there are some amazing sculptors that are doing some incredible things with anatomy, gesture, and form. There is one sculptor in particular that is breaking new ground with the female form. That sculptor is Clayburn Moore, and it is my belief that he is sculpting the female form at a level that has not been achieved before. I believe that his work will stand the test of time and be given the recognition that it deserves. Beauty and sexuality is an essential part of human nature and is a worthy subject for art and sculpture, and I think that Clay sculpts it in a tasteful and universal manner that could be enjoyed by all.
Brood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
...or you could get some nice dogs playing poker or clown paintings they'd appreciate...lol
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, do they not?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #24
DFury
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
I've never met Budd Root, but we have friends in common. His work is very good and working with him is not out of the question as far as I'm concerned. However, it's also possible I'd just design my own prehistoric/jungle girl rather than license. It's a terrific universal subject.
CSM
Clay

I for one would very much like to see you design and produce your own version of a prehistoric/jungle girl...

Then we could have a forum edition than included a full color print.

Also not a bad Idea for the Linsner Sinful suzie Piece, A forum edition with a linsner full color print would Rock!!!

df
Rick
DFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #25
reapersaurus
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brood View Post
A word or two about other people's perceptions......

The reality is that, as a person, you teach other people how they should treat you. If you give the impression that you are uncomfortable or embarrassed in any way about your statues, others will pick up on this and act in a way that reinforces these feelings.
I was briefly struggling with thoughts of a post to respond to Clay's well thought-out ones, but then I read Brood's and anything I could sputter out became superfluous.

Great points, Brood, and well-spoken by both you and Clay.
reapersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #26
Makkari1
Cyclops

Sure, why not I would like to have a volumptous half naked women as a sculpt "hummm volumptous woman".
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #27
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

this could be hot!
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
...great tan lines, though.
Tan lines are VERY underrated IMO in terms of sexiness.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #29
popqwerty
Frackin!

I'll pay foy for this even before I see any prototype pictures. Cave Woman rules. They're just slow pumping out their comics. Enough with the pin-up books.
popqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #30
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Tan lines are VERY underrated IMO in terms of sexiness.
I simply couldn't agree more. I've always been a fan of tan lines even over a smooth all-over tan. It somehow makes a nude woman seem even more nude when you can see the difference in skin tones on her body.