Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
They have to make mutants a rarity again? Remember when people were scared of mutants, no one wanted their kid to be a mutant, go to school with a mutant, work with a mutant? They need to bring back that scumbag- human mentality as well.
i just never bought this in the conext of their world though, with so many other countless super powered people why exactly is it that mutants are the only ones that get shunned and hated so much? i remember when Marvels first came out this issue was touched on, when the question was brought up why are the Fantastic 4 heroes, but the X-Men monsters to the people, it just doesn't make sense
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Good point Yaccy.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i just never bought this in the conext of their world though, with so many other countless super powered people why exactly is it that mutants are the only ones that get shunned and hated so much? i remember when Marvels first came out this issue was touched on, when the question was brought up why are the Fantastic 4 heroes, but the X-Men monsters to the people, it just doesn't make sense
the FF PR'd themselves
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Pretty sure that's Magneto. SPOILER ALERT. Cable "died" at the conclusion of Second Coming
I knew that. But remember Phoenix is dead and she's in the photo as well.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coca View Post
I knew that. But remember Phoenix is dead and she's in the photo as well.
I think that's Hope in the pic, no?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #26
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Cable died? Isn't that Marvel talk for a new series will be out in stores soon?

True, True
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
So many of you are aware that while I read many comics from multiple companies, Marvel is predominantly where it's at for me, and the X-Men have always been my first love.

Now it kills me to see that they no longer seem to get the quality attention they deserve. The cold hard fact is, they need a shot in the arm right now. I think Fraction is doing just fine and Uncanny has been a great read for quite a while, and some of the crossovers in recent years have been brilliant, especially Second Coming.

X-Force and X-Factor have also been quality reads, I think there is just core book that is hurting the team. X-Men:Legacy. It pains me to say this because Mike Carey's run on Lucifer, and his current run on The Unwritten is nothing less than amazing, but when it comes to the X-Men, he's gotta go. I see the ads for the net big "event" in the X-verse,

and I am worried. Gambit is holding a gun? WTF?!?! I'm assuming this is almost ann Age of Apocalypse type storyline (it damn well BETTER be, I mean LOOK AT WARPATH?!!?!) but still.......

Carey has had YEARS to do something with the book, and IMO he has failed miserably. It seems like when the book first took the subheading "Legacy" he was either under instruction, or made the decision to turn it into a nostalgic rehash of past events in X history. The problem was, he simply retold stories we'd all read before!!?!?

When he began his recent arc with Rogue taking some of the younger mutants out to discover the world and search for the five mutant spikes I thought maybe he'd be onto something fresh, and he started very well in India, but Magneto and Rogue have been done to death and he hasn't captured the reader with these new characters the way Kyle and Yost did with theirs not so long ago.

I have come to the conclusion that his themes and style of writing just isn't suited to an A list book.

SO

How do you solve a problem like the X-Men?

Well on this occasion, I believe the answer is in the title. Legacy.

If we look at what has been occurring in the X-verse for the last few years the glaring theme is offense. Cyclops has become a proactive leader, who attacks first, talks second. He has grown from a timid, skinny young boy to a take no prisoners General and it has resulted in an interesting time for the team. The formation of what was\is essentially a team of killers in X-Force, is the greatest example of his new attitude, but there have been many examples in recent time.

I think that it's time for that character progression to take the next step. I think Cyclops needs to become the X Men's greatest villain. Not just for one story arc. Not just for a year or two. Forever. He needs to be made into a bigger threat than Magneto ever was. There are so many ways this could be done, so many avenues to take it but in the pursuit of great storylines I think it needs to happen.

The easiest way to do it at this point would be for a) the rest of the X-Men to find out about X-Force (some already know) causing a fracture in the team that sees many leave and Cyclops turn Utopia into a ramped up brotherhood of evil mutants (but much like Magneto, Scott thinks he is doing what's best for his people).

Scott's hardline approach taken to the next level will make him a borderline villain by default and it already seems like the next logical step of his development. I think his edgier persona started around the time of Jean's last death so maybe write that into his decline, I just want to see them do it and have the guts to keep it that way. If you go back and look at some other comic history you'll see it is actually a common theme. We have Sinestro leaving the GLC to become a zealot, Magneto and Xavier starting out with the best of intentions, even Richards and Doom were childhood friends (sort of). To see Scott take Xavier's dream and twist it further than Magneto ever could, to take everything he ever learned as a hero, the master tactician he's become, and have it used against the X Men, would bring readers back to the fold I think, and open up the window for so many stories.

Which side would Wolverine fall on? Would Alex and the Starjammers return to stop his brother? Who steps up to lead the "good" X-Men? Are they on the run? It goes on and on.

I don't think Carey is the best to handle this. I think it would need to be a grittier writer, but also someone with chops.

Ennis? TOO gritty
Remender? Maybe?
Brian K Vaughan if he can be lured back to comics on a larger scale?
But really, I think Jason Aaron is the man here. He'd do it in a way the would suit the dark future the X-Men would be faced with.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this and if you managed to read all of this and not switch off, a) you deserve a medal and b) thankyou, I would love to hear your thoughts.

The X-men need, no DESERVE, better than what they are getting on Legacy right now, I'd love to hear what others think.
I have given up on the X-Men years ago!

I don't know who have those character are?

Rogue, Gambit, Warpath and Cyclops are the only ones I'm sure of. I don't like Cyclops new mask.

Who's the guy with the white hair? Cable? Magneto?

That black woman is that Storm?

Who's the guy with the floating arm?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #28
Primal
Batman

Story aside, they have to get someone to do better character designs than these. Talk about a snoozefest of a color palette.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #29
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Story aside, they have to get someone to do better character designs than these. Talk about a snoozefest of a color palette.
I agree 1,000%.

These characters look like they came from the 90's era.

Warpath looks like Grunge from Gen 13.
Gambit looks like Solid Snake.
The Bat Chic looks like Dragoness from the MLF.
Just terrible character and costume concept.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #30
XSE
Nightwing

This Age of X is an alternate reality storyline that will crossover between Legacy and New Mutants...there was an article on newsarama after the teaser was released....i like these types of stories....AOA is one of my all time favorite stories...I will wait to see how this plays out.....I remember reading many of the characters are renamed versions of 616 mutants Basilisk=Cyclops etc...
XSE is offline   Reply With Quote