Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Spideristic
Kingpin

Bob Orci Hints STAR TREK 3 Actually Boldly Goes Where No Man Has Gone Before | Badass Digest

Orci Hints At New Setting And Aliens For Next Star Trek + Talks Directing, Kirk Sex, Gay Character & More | TrekMovie.com
More quotes in the above page.

Last edited by Spideristic; 06-26-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #22
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Get a TV series back and engage the audience with the good thoughtful stuff.
Movie audiences clearly do not want intellectually challenging material that Trek was born to contain.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

didnt orci write amazing spider-man 2? that was pretty terrible, he better not screw up star trek. People gotta remember, JJ's movies were 'prequels' to their 5 year mission, so im okay with his movies not being ALL about space expoloration, im sure he was building up to that now that they are going to be on their 5 year mission
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

The problem with the people making these reboots is they have no idea what the five year mission was about! They just don't see it even though it's been right in front of their faces all along, or they simply could care less. Viewers guilty of this as well. Just give us 'splosions and fightin!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

we need to see the new movie where they are actually ON the 5 year mission before we can say they dont understand what the 5 year mission was about, its been stated the trek 3 will be when they are on their 5 year journey, so lets wait and see what they do with that.

Since trek 1 and 2 were prequels to the original series, its fitting that those first 2 movies werent about the 5 year mission, but they did reference it. The original series started out right on the 5 year mission already, the movies show how the characters get to that point so im okay with it
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #26
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

yeah same here. and im glad they did it that way.

i still need to see the 2nd one. but im looking forward to the 3rd.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

The problem is they made two movies with the soul of Trek removed and this is painful because it is based on the original series. Even a alternate universe prequal should contain the purpose of the Enterprise since they used that ship. So now will a third manage to find the reason why humanity is the hell out there? Sorry, but I am really pessimistic given what has been offered so far. They can say, oh we are on the mission now in deep space. splosions! fightin!!!

That isn't the mission of the Enterprise, those are dramatic obstacles, we all love them, I want them too, but that ship has a purpose, a very special one.

I know people find the first film boring, and it is in many places. Too many.
But that could have been fixed, but it did carry a good Trek message. I think it is possible to make a mass appeal film that also contains the core meaning. I thought First Contact did a decent job on that.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star...motion-picture

"It represents striving for something better, for understanding, to explore and make friends rather than conquer everything, and there is a nobility to that which I find appealing, and sadly lacking from much of modern screen SF. It's so much richer, for example, than “this angry guy wants to blow up the Federation because of reasons”."
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
The problem is they made two movies with the soul of Trek removed and this is painful because it is based on the original series. Even a alternate universe prequal should contain the purpose of the Enterprise since they used that ship. So now will a third manage to find the reason why humanity is the hell out there? Sorry, but I am really pessimistic given what has been offered so far. They can say, oh we are on the mission now in deep space. splosions! fightin!!!

That isn't the mission of the Enterprise, those are dramatic obstacles, we all love them, I want them too, but that ship has a purpose, a very special one.

I know people find the first film boring, and it is in many places. Too many.
But that could have been fixed, but it did carry a good Trek message. I think it is possible to make a mass appeal film that also contains the core meaning. I thought First Contact did a decent job on that.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star...motion-picture

"It represents striving for something better, for understanding, to explore and make friends rather than conquer everything, and there is a nobility to that which I find appealing, and sadly lacking from much of modern screen SF. It's so much richer, for example, than “this angry guy wants to blow up the Federation because of reasons”."
I respect your opinion CD, but I agree with Quicksilver on this one. When you say that even an alternate universe version of the Enterprise and her crew should still have, or contain the same purpose, I think that's where I see this differently. I would be fine if they chose to have this version be similar in purpose, or even the same in purpose as the old TV series...but they have't, and they don't "have to". So far they've chosen a different path, and of course they're trying to put people in the theatre seats, and apparently they are trying to appeal to the action adventure crowd, not the nostalgic Classic Trek crowd. I do understand how you feel though, since so many things are being changed with many of the properties I love too. I don't think there's anything we're going to be able to do about it, but I know I'll continue to be frustrated when I see things drastically changed, unless I think the change is for the better. But, of course, it's hard to improve on an original, so , I hope you get a Trek movie like you're hoping for sometime...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #29
MrYac
Hercules

maybe part 3 will be the X-Men crossover and you'll finally get to see big G on the big screen MM
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #30
Luminous
Cyclops

I'd watch that.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote