Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_craig View Post
Ill tell you a humbling fact about the value of art that has happened to me twice in my career or lifetime.

I shipped art via Fed Ex, I insured it for 1500 the first time, 2000 the second, and were talking many many MANY mailings in between over 10 years, but the simple fact I leaned, and with my wife working at the post office I know there rules are the same.....If you do not have documentation proving the value of the artwork you are sending, from a reputable agency i might add, then if that art work you are insuring is damaged, they will simply pay out the price of a sheet of the paper that was damaged.

In both cases, all they ended up doing after a lengthy battle was refund my money i paid to insure it, with the price of the paper that was damaged...essentially just giving me my money back i spent for there service, which literally wasn't worth the paper it was written on...ironically

so now when i mail art, i just put a little into shipping it, as in, reinforcing the package so the art cant be damaged, at least i know i am protected that way

Isn't the bill for the artwork enough? I mean, if I have a bill which clearly shows the person paid X amount for the artwork, doesn't that prove something useful?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Yeah, once you hit a new threshold it changes your mental impression. I started with "nothing over $100" then hit 300 then 1k then 2k. It's crazy.

So what's this big poychase you've been goin' on 'bout lately in dat udder thread?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
kirthew
Zot

You know when I think about this, good for Jim Lee and Albert Moy. If someone has the money to pay for that art, then so be it. The only problem I have with this whole thing is when someone who is not even close to Jim Lee's level wants to start charging astronomical prices for their work. Jim Lee has established himself as a force in the comic world, and his stuff should go for a premium.
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #24
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
You know when I think about this, good for Jim Lee and Albert Moy. If someone has the money to pay for that art, then so be it. The only problem I have with this whole thing is when someone who is not even close to Jim Lee's level wants to start charging astronomical prices for their work. Jim Lee has established himself as a force in the comic world, and his stuff should go for a premium.

if i had tons of money, i would pay a premium for his work.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Hey, there's some $350-$400 Jim Lee JL pages still available....flipping time!

I also don't mind if the seller and artist's at this caliber are able to get mega-bucks for art, more power to them. As stated above, it's when other talented, but not an super-star like Lee, start basing their prices on the big dollar purchases thus raising the bar even higher when there's no precedent that buyer's are paying big bucks for non-Lee/McFarlane/Miller pages.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #26
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
It's unavoidable. When someone, like Jim Lee, asks for such premiums and gets them, other artists will increase their own value to keep pace. It's sort of like things working on a scale. If Jim Lee can get 30K for a piece, why shouldn't Tyler Kirkham ask 5K for his? Compared to Lee he is being reasonable in his price.

Basically, as long as people will pay overcharged rates for the "big names," they will continue to cause increases in costs, not just for those "big names," but to the more marginal talents as well, thereby making the hobby more and more expensive for everyone.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #27
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeley Man View Post

If Jim Lee can get 30K for a piece, why shouldn't Tyler Kirkham ask 5K for his? Compared to Lee he is being reasonable in his price.

Tyler is sure free to try.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeley Man View Post
It's unavoidable. When someone, like Jim Lee, asks for such premiums and gets them, other artists will increase their own value to keep pace. It's sort of like things working on a scale. If Jim Lee can get 30K for a piece, why shouldn't Tyler Kirkham ask 5K for his? Compared to Lee he is being reasonable in his price.

Basically, as long as people will pay overcharged rates for the "big names," they will continue to cause increases in costs, not just for those "big names," but to the more marginal talents as well, thereby making the hobby more and more expensive for everyone.
I am sorry, but no disrespect to Tyler Kirkham, but who is he? Did he work on X-Men in the 90s? Did he revolutionize the comic industry by leaving Marvel to start his own comic imprint? Is he also the co-publisher of DC?

Jim Lee can command the increase because he is Jim Lee. He is a big player in the comic book industry. Artists like Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Frank Miller, Adam Hughes... they can command the premiums because they have a huge following. I don't think Tyler Kirkham's following is that big. So I think Tyler charging 5K is flipping crazy.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #29
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
So what's this big poychase you've been goin' on 'bout lately in dat udder thread?

All will be revealed in early 2012.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
kirthew
Zot

Thinking more about this Meeley Man, you are one of the reasons that this hobby is getting more and more expensive. You are an art dealer, who sets the price of art in the industry. You see Jim Lee getting 30K for a cover and think... Wow, maybe I am pricing my stuff too low, maybe I should increase the price of my covers because some rich idiot is buying a Jim Lee piece for 30K.

That is what is driving the prices in this industry through the roof.