Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
scott
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Looks nothing like I envisioned he would look.
He kinda looks like John Goodman with a full beard & shorter
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
He is from LOTR. The 1st book FOTR. He was left out of the movie. He was one of my favorite parts of the book. He was like a forest sprit that was very powerful if he remained in his part of the woods. So powerful that the ring could not tempt him,even when he held it.
Yeah...there's a school of thought that thinks that Bombadil is one of the Valar (I think that's spelled right), the demi-gods who were the 'siblings' of Sauron. There's another school that says that he's actually Tom the Brown, one of the Mithrandir, which would make him a brother to Gandalf and Saruman.

The scene in Two Towers, where the tree nearly eats Merry and Pippin, is actually lifted from the Tom Bombadil scene in Fellowship. I guess it was easier to explain why an Ent could talk to Father Willow, instead of explaining who Bombadil was.

I'd rather it fit with the rest of the statues, but it's nice to see a bust that honors him!
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #23
The Dark Side
Death is hereditary.

I'm sorry but he looks like a bad Irish tourist shop statue to me.

Before anyone gets on there high horse about being Irish, I am.
The Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #24
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboydce View Post
looks rubbish
Quote:
looks like one of those really terrible Gnomes people have in their gardens
Quote:
he was also one of the campest, he sang little songs all day long
Quote:
he was a terrible character in FOTR (book), cutting him out of the film was one of the few decisions Peter Jackson got right
You really don't like this, do you.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
hellboydce
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan74 View Post
You really don't like this, do you.
how can you tell?
hellboydce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Intuition!
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
Statue and Bust
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

VERY glad I stopped buying this line!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Statue and Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:53 AM   #28
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
Yeah...there's a school of thought that thinks that Bombadil is one of the Valar (I think that's spelled right), the demi-gods who were the 'siblings' of Sauron. There's another school that says that he's actually Tom the Brown, one of the Mithrandir, which would make him a brother to Gandalf and Saruman.

The scene in Two Towers, where the tree nearly eats Merry and Pippin, is actually lifted from the Tom Bombadil scene in Fellowship. I guess it was easier to explain why an Ent could talk to Father Willow, instead of explaining who Bombadil was.

I'd rather it fit with the rest of the statues, but it's nice to see a bust that honors him!

Actually, Sauron was a "Maiar," which was a lesser being than the Valar. Sauron was originally a lieutenant to Melkor whose name was changed to Morgoth and who actually was a Valar.

As for Tom Bombadil being one of the wizards of middle earth, they were actually called the "Istari," not the Mithrandir. Mithrandir was the name that the elves called Gandalf by when he first appeared in Middle Earth, and he was called Gandalf latter by men. Also, if Tom Bombadil was an Istari, then he seemed even more powerful than Sauruman and Gandalf to me. I think he was a Maiar, but I don't know of anywhere that it says one way or the other. It's left to our imaginations I guess. I have also read that there is some thought that the Istari are actually a lesser Maiar as well. All of the things I've explained are contained in the Silmarillion. I recommend it to anyone who wants a more comprehensive understanding of the world created by JRR Tolkein....
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #29
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Actually, Sauron was a "Maiar," which was a lesser being than the Valar. Sauron was originally a lieutenant to Melkor whose name was changed to Morgoth and who actually was a Valar.

As for Tom Bombadil being one of the wizards of middle earth, they were actually called the "Istari," not the Mithrandir. Mithrandir was the name that the elves called Gandalf by when he first appeared in Middle Earth, and he was called Gandalf latter by men. Also, if Tom Bombadil was an Istari, then he seemed even more powerful than Sauruman and Gandalf to me. I think he was a Maiar, but I don't know of anywhere that it says one way or the other. It's left to our imaginations I guess. I have also read that there is some thought that the Istari are actually a lesser Maiar as well. All of the things I've explained are contained in the Silmarillion. I recommend it to anyone who wants a more comprehensive understanding of the world created by JRR Tolkein....
I bow to the scholar. I just remember reading some of that in the Lost Books, and (possibly) the Simarillion. But, I can never keep the Maiar and the Valar straight in my head. Thanks for clearing that up!
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
kingdomhearts
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Ummm who the heck is this guy?
kingdomhearts is offline   Reply With Quote