Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Yeah, for what it's worth, I don't use pot either--tried it, didn't like it much.

I do think that it being a "gateway drug" has more to do with its criminalization than its actual effect. The substance doesn't cause someone to go try other drugs--the infusion into the illegality of it does. Once you've tried one banned substance, it's easier to let yourself do more. Decriminalizing marijuana would take all that out of the equation.
you must had some sh*tty stuff then

I smoked in high school, but it wasn't my first drug mushrooms were, now THAT should remain illegal, I haven't done anything since, so for me it is not a gateway drug, but I have a little bit more tact than most people. But I do got to say it is FAR less dangerous than alcohol, which can make people quite violent, marijuana just makes people get along.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
We have dispensaries all over Denver. Some municipalities have outlawed them within city limits but I'm betting there will be a legal challenge now that it will be legal. This fight isn't over. IMO, what people do in their own home is their right and I want government out of it as much as possible. But I realize this country is still about the majority and until the majority are on the other side of the fence it will be a challenge. And just like alcohol, if someone is driving high they should face the same penalties and driving drunk.
totally agree.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
johnclone
The Enchantress

in a related story, Colorado shop owners are stocking up on Funions snacks, and Capn Crunch cereal.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #24
Spazzy
Hercules

they will be sold out the first week it initiates
bet alot of tourists too, going to be Amsterdam for the states
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Underdog07
Hercules

Again, it's a meaningless law as the state is unlikely to be able to institute it. It even says this in the article.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Again, it's a meaningless law as the state is unlikely to be able to institute it. It even says this in the article.
I know you are a lawyer UD so forgive my ignorance and if this is a dumb question then feel free to say so but why do they have to "institute" anything (other than for the obvious tax reasons)? Why can't they just not arrest people they find possessing or selling pot?
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I know you are a lawyer UD so forgive my ignorance and if this is a dumb question then feel free to say so but why do they have to "institute" anything (other than for the obvious tax reasons)? Why can't they just not arrest people they find possessing or selling pot?
That's pretty much what they do now, with isolated exceptions (and those tend to be widely criticized).
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

If pot becomes legal, I can easily see companies feeling compelled to introduce zero tolerance policies which will enable them to conduct unannounced drug tests on its employees in safety sensitive positons, i.e., construction, electrical, and so on. It's already done in lots of places as I review dozens of substance abuse assessments on a weekly basis. The potential legalization of pot will no doubt cause this number to rise, if only so companies can protect themselves from being sued.

As marijuana typically stays in the system 1-6 days for casual users (much longer than alcohol), that number will be even greater for those who use heavily which means there will be evidence of potential cognitive impairment for a longer period which may result in a temporary job suspension as they will have been deemed a legitimate risk to the safety of their work environments. While it's interesting to see how many people are thrilled by this news, let's not forget that we're still talking about a drug which is often abused and misunderstood. If it's that easily accessible, I can also see it being recklessly used to self medicate for depression, anxiety, ADHD, and so on. Thankfully, there's loads of research out there to be read which will hopefully steer people into making the healthier choice in recreational activity.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
Spazzy
Hercules

just because it stays in the system doesn't mean it has the same affect when you first use it, after a couple hours it isn't a big deal, whereas alcohol last much longer after drinking
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Because the DEA can still arrest people - you can't trump the federal laws. While possible , I don't think the US govt will turn a blind eye to this and let it proceed unabated
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote