Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Just another point on this..

It is not so much the medium (canvas/paper) but the printing process which makes these 'collectibles' high-quality. For example, with screen printing you have the seperate layers and woven effect. For 'giclees', it is not just a fancy term , it is a special kind of high quality printing process, if done correctly. Obviously, the nicer the material, the nicer the finish will be - gloss, etc (but it is the printing process that brings out the layers/lines, sharpness, etc). Even a 'giclee on paper' can look just as stunning as a 'giclee on canvas', because it has that special kind of printing process. You can not just find a high-res image (which it is very rare to find one as high-res as the studio) and print it on canvas to get the same effect. It will look really nice if it is hi-res, but it will not have that highest quality printing/image available, as you need the actual source material (data) to seperate the process during printing - which is why you can't just 're-create it' (even if you were to try immiate the printing process, you do not have the original data file to seperate the inks/way it is printed). Think of statues, if you don't have that master sculpt, detail is lost. However, a canvas will always have that nicer museum look, and if it is high quality 'fabric', it will benefit the way the 'giclee' process is done (the way the ink is 'woven' into the fabic). At least, that's what I've taken from some what I've seen and compared.

In summary, my PS3 Alex Ross Mortal Kombat vs. DC canvas looks like crap because it so small and doesn't use a special printing process

I know this thread will get lost, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents for the archives. Statue forum is a great place for the archives
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Well I just received a Frazetta Death Dealer lithograph and that blows away anything I've seen printed in the last 5 years in terms of quality. Any experts care to weigh in there? I had heard it was printed using some special process/technique/machine that doesn't exist anymore. And then there's the paper.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote