Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #21
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheORKINMan View Post
Not to derail this thread but on an autograph collecting forum I frequent this rather depressing Romita Sr return came in after someone mailed him a sketch card:

I have very mixed emotions about this. I don't want to add to the thread derail, but on the other hand, this was posted and I have some thoughts on this.

There was a recent inquiry on the Comicart mailing list about getting a Nick Cardy commission. Spencer Beck responded in a very nice, well stated manner relating that Nick Cardy "was close to 94 and didn't wish to spend much, if any, time at the drawing board.. and I think he has earned that."

Spencer is correct and while it is sad as that means a lot of people who would like a Nick Cardy commission probably won't get one, it is also a true statement that Nick has earned that right.

The reason I relay this is that I have the same thoughts about Romita Sr. I don't know his age, but I know he's up there. I also know that he hasn't done commissions except for the one or two that he's done with his son. Heck the only recent sketches I know of are the head sketches that he did for the Spider Man Artist's Edition, and those were small head shots at best.

This sucks as I missed my chance to get a sketch by him at Wondercon in '99. One of my comic art regrets. On the other hand, if he doesn't want to sketch, that's his right and he's earned it. Especially as this sketch card was unsolicited. I he was nice to at least do a quick sketch of Mysterio on the letter, as at least that's something.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and I now return you to your regular ongoing thread.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote