Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What style pizza is your favorite?
New York 25 54.35%
Chicago 16 34.78%
St. Louis 1 2.17%
California "Gourmet" 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #21
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
I would just like to add, since I've been here in ATL, they do pizza here for SH$#. They claim, chicago style, NYC style, w/e. It's all crap. ATL has SH$# for pizza.
Hi Sam:

I hear you! The same thing happens out here in California. They all make a claim to have the best "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza, but it all tastes like corrugated cardboard.
And the worst part of it is, instead of working on getting basics right, they dump stuff on their pizzas that have no natural right being there: tofu, alfalfa, millet seeds, water cress, bean sprouts, etc.

In my opinion, if the ingredients aren't rich enough to trigger a cardiac seizure in a healthy 20 year old man, you haven't made a pizza worthy enough to feed to my dog.

However, there is one exception out here:Bocca di Beppo's. Let me tell you, those guys aren't afraid of seasoning their garlic with a little tomato sauce! And as for the crusts on their pizzas: they've been blessed by the Pope himself!

And don't even get me started on the subject of trying to find a good gyros out here in Frisco . . . .
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #22
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I have to say it's more of personal taste. There's obviously big differences between Chicago style and NY style. Ny has some great large pies, delicious at that. But I have to say Chicago style is my fave just cause it really is a style on it's own. While many know of Home Run Inn, Uno's, Gino's East, and Giordano's. But the best is finding the great smaller local joints around town that have their own spin too it. It's finding the best sauce too! But the few times I've been to NY I always like to try anything I can find. Would be kewl to find some really great spots. But as far as California pizza, ugh not even on the level as Chitown or NY!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #23
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I have to say it's more of personal taste. There's obviously big differences between Chicago style and NY style. Ny has some great large pies, delicious at that. But I have to say Chicago style is my fave just cause it really is a style on it's own. While many know of Home Run Inn, Uno's, Gino's East, and Giordano's. But the best is finding the great smaller local joints around town that have their own spin too it. It's finding the best sauce too! But the few times I've been to NY I always like to try anything I can find. Would be kewl to find some really great spots. But as far as California pizza, ugh not even on the level as Chitown or NY!

Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #24
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

From the US then its gotta be NYC. But if you want the best pizza in the world you need to visit Napoli.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #25
Justin
Jedi Order

Guys I'd like to let you know how I make my own home made pizza and I think it's very hard to top, Start of with some Turkish bread, spread some tomato paste over it, put a light sprinkling of shredded mozzarella on next, after that it's time for your shaved ham, I then go with some diced tomato, now it's time for the fun stuff! Mushrooms, Olives, Capsicum, Onion, Baby Spinach, Peppers, Hot Salami & anything else that takes your fancy!, I then go with a liberal sprinkling of fresh Basil & Oregano and top that bad boy off with some more shredded mozzarella. I cook that for 25 minutes in a pre heated over at 200 degrees, Lads I have to say it really doesn't get much better than that! On a side note, you guys have to pay $2 for a slice over there? geez if I want to buy one here I can pick a large up for $5 and they are nice pizza's!! I just really love the homemade one's! which the girl and I just had about 2 hours ago!!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellin71
All I want to know is where are you taking me when I come up to watch the Yankees! Let me guess the $2.00 place
Probably some back alley in the South Bronx to get your @ss mugged & sold for $2.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellin71
What's the deal with Ray's Pizza. New York's best pizza (according to Food Channel).
Ray's is really good. It's a chain of pizza joints.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #27
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingdog
Chicago style for me. Restaurants/pizza parlor's? Too numerous to mention!

Last fall a book came out called Everybody Loves Pizza where the authors list what they thought to be the best pizza places in America. Their top 10 were:

1. Una Pizza Napoletana, New York City
2. DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies, Trenton, N.J.
3. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix
4. Pizano's, Chicago
5. Punch Neapolitan Pizza, Minneapolis
6. Wells Brothers Italian Restaurant, Racine, Wisc.
7. Sally's Apizza, New Haven, Conn.
8. The Cheese Board Pizza Collective, Berkeley, Calif.
9. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, Conn.
10. Metro Pizza, Las Vegas

I've had the pizza at number 6 in the list there, Wells Brothers, and it is out of this world. Especially if you enjoy a pizza with a nice crispy but paper thin crust.
#7 Sally's and #9 Pepe's are both great examples of New Haven Pizza. Randy's Wooster Street Pizza and Rossini's Restaurant are two other great examples.

I've eaten at Giordano's and Gino's East. Also quality pies, I just prefer the New Haven and NY styles.

CA Pizza Kitchen gourmet pizzas bite the mighty one.

Sam - I know the feeling you are having in Atlanta. WHen we lived in Maine for a time it was awful. They have great seafood but can't make Italian to save their life. The pizza sucks and you can't even buy a decent grinder. They have a grinder style they call an Italian that no self-respecting NY Italian would want to claim credit for. NY Italian and Jewish delis - now they know how to make grinders.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #28
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal
Probably some back alley in the South Bronx to get your @ss mugged & sold for $2.00. Ray's is really good. It's a chain of pizza joints.
Rays pizza is great. I was in his shop on (I think 8th or 9th avenue) just off Times Square. They shot a scene from the film Bringing out the Dead just outside that shop.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #29
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
Sam - I know the feeling you are having in Atlanta. WHen we lived in Maine for a time it was awful. They have great seafood but can't make Italian to save their life. The pizza sucks and you can't even buy a decent grinder. They have a grinder style they call an Italian that no self-respecting NY Italian would want to claim credit for. NY Italian and Jewish delis - now they know how to make grinders.

WORD curt and madjazz.

They have a grinder place here, "jersey mikes", but let me tell you, the only sandwhich that is any good is their philly steak. Go freakin' figure.

I mean, fried chicken, wings, bbq, man. I'm up to my eyeballs in it. But italian, PIzza, etc. Nothing. Nada. All the pizza here is 99% dough, even the thin crust. Ghah.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #30
Wolverine1
SNIKT!!! Keeping the pimp hand strong! Rot Minister of Nocturnal Security

Dominos is really good.
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote