Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Miamiloco also clubs seals on his free time and is all for banning tag and dodge ball in schools.

Siding with miami loco is siding with Satan himself!
That used to be my nickname in college. That or anything related too it. But Lucifer was a close 2nd.

You do ONE speech on Satanism and ONE screenplay/play on Satan and God, and EVERYONE either looks at you disgusted or wants to learn how to convert. I gotta say I was pretty surprised how many chicas lost interest after I did that speech though.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #22
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Part two sucked really bad so it's no wonder part 3 would be as bad or worse.
When are these jerkbags gonna learn?
I'm sorry I wasted the $4 and 2 hours of my life when I rented the second film.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #23
bat_collector
Galactus

Arrow Once again, Miamiloco is just plain WRONG

Ok, just got back form seeing Saw III, and it frankly was a nice tie up to the whole series. A reasonable and natural progression to the story, and answers a whole lot of questions. While I can understand why some may not like the direction it took, I see this as perhaps the most logical conclusion to the franhcise.

I do see, however, how the movie escalated the gore and torture probably in view of Hostel upping the ante. I still love part II the best (great twists, and the whole group trying to escape a death trap, just like the fantastic movie Cube, is a favorite of mine), but I enjoyed this movie as well.

Maybe I should be more distubed by he fact that I actually like a film series about demented torture.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:29 AM   #24
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Maybe I should be more distubed by he fact that I actually like a film series about demented torture.
Got some pent up rage, hmmm? Maybe fantasies of death and dismemberment are dancing through your head? And here I thought you were all about peace, love and happiness.
Maybe you should get professional help.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:32 AM   #25
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
Got some pent up rage, hmmm? Maybe fantasies of death and dismemberment are dancing through your head? And here I thought you were all about peace, love and happiness.
Maybe you should get professional help.
Nah, I just like horror movies.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:36 AM   #26
Underdog07
Hercules

Havn't seen III yet, but I would say increased gore is a result of a combo of Hostel upping the ante and having a substantially bigger budget.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #27
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Nah, I just like horror movies.
I like horror movies as well. However lately splatter films are getting a little carried away. I don't find it entertaining anymore to see half the stuff the FX teams are creating nowadays.
When I was in Texas Chainsaw Massacre the Begining, I kept thinking to myself why am I watching this grotesqe stuff? It's stomach wrenching and ultimately pointless.
Horror films seem to me have gotten more about gore and shock than actual suspense and a building sense of dread that I used to value in horror films.
Now it's "let's see how realistic we can have this guys face torn off!"
Maybe I'm getting too old or I just don't find brutality on this scale as appealing as I might have once upon a time.
Take Exorcist, the scariest movie I've ever seen. It still freaks me out to this day. And I've seen almost every horror flick there is to see. It's still very disturbing and chilling w/o buckets o' blood and guts.
And I hope Hollywood will return to the music and atmosphere of horror films like Amityville, Exocist and Halloween. But I think people have been so desensitized that no one finds it unusual anymore to see uncannily realistic depictions of slaughter. Where as one time you had to use your imagination.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:58 AM   #28
bat_collector
Galactus

The body count movies have been around since the 70's. They've always upped the ante gore wise. Some 70's flicks are even gorier than ones today (Dawn of the Dead and Cannible Holocaust, for example), and Friday the 13th, an 80's franchise, was more about body count than creepy atmosphere.

While I won't disagree that the Saw has a good deal of gore, I've always felt there was an interesting plot going on, and this movie continued that trend for me. I came out of that movie not thinking so much about the death traps as I did the logical and natural progression of the series.

But I will say Hostel was totally different. No plot there for me, just nudity and bloodshed trying to pass for a movie.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #29
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
The body count movies have been around since the 70's. They've always upped the ante gore wise. Some 70's flicks are even gorier than ones today (Dawn of the Dead and Cannible Holocaust, for example), and Friday the 13th, an 80's franchise, was more about body count than creepy atmosphere.

While I won't disagree that the Saw has a good deal of gore, I've always felt there was an interesting plot going on, and this movie continued that trend for me. I came out of that movie not thinking so much about the death traps as I did the logical and natural progression of the series.

But I will say Hostel was totally different. No plot there for me, just nudity and bloodshed trying to pass for a movie.
When I was in high school I always wanted to work in FX like Rick Baker, Tom Savini, Stan Winston,Screaming Mad George and other great artists.
I always like the graphic nature of their work. But I don't think it was as untolerable to me as the things I see these days. My favorite is Savini, and the reason he is so good is because he uses his real life Vietnam experience and the attrocities he saw, he could translate on the screen.
To me that is unfortunate, however it makes him one of the best in the field.
On another note, the thing in Saw 2 I didn't like was when the guy threw that girl into the Syringe pit....there were other people there to stop him but they didn't, and that pissed me off to no extent. I figured out the ending somewhere towards the 1st half of the flick. But to me the 1st film was definitive. I'll probably go see the third one just to see how it plays out(I didn't read the spoiler part of this thread)
Old 10-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #30
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Quote:
Ok, just got back form seeing Saw III, and it frankly was a nice tie up to the whole series. A reasonable and natural progression to the story, and answers a whole lot of questions. While I can understand why some may not like the direction it took, I see this as perhaps the most logical conclusion to the franhcise.
Reasonable and natural progression?!! How does Amanda turning into a cold-blooded killer make any sense if John's statement about her being "too emotional" is true? I mean, she kills Adam so that he won't have to die slowly - to "set him free." Then she fights with Matthews but leaves him to die, and then next thing she's killing people brutally all over! How is that a logical progression? Strange character arc.

Plus I didn't like how at the end when the doctor just abruptly gets shot. Don't build up a character to just get SHOT after everything else in the movie. L-A-M-E!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote