Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
Jameshowlett
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I often wonder which one of us three (jameshowlett, bat_collector, and wolverinejedi007) is the biggest wolvie fan on the forum. I give the edge to wolviejedi.
Really ? Why does he get the edge? Does he wear Wolverine underoos? Cause I think that should be required of any Logan fan! Just kidding.lol
Whos the bigger fan? I don't know, I think we all love the ol canuckle head as much as anyone.I can't claim to be a bigger fan of Wolverine than anyone, I mean, how do you measure someone's love of a character? but man I love that character.
I started reading X-men when I was like 10 or 12, when they used to arrive at my house in those brown paper bags,and just fantasize about what the movie version of Wolverine would look like if they ever did do a movie, (and at the time it didn't seem likley) . Years later when I read that they cast" some unknown" for the role and saw his picture I was so excited that my childhood memories would see the silver screen! And this guy who I loved reading about would be brought to the world to see in the movie X-Men.
Its a total joy to be able to see him everywhere now adays and my 8 year old cousin now is a huge fan of Wolverine. So now not only do I get to buy Wolverine stuff for me, but when I'm at my LCS, and I see something that I think is cool but not really to my taste, I can buy it for him and I enjoy that alot.

Oh yeah, you can't even notice the claw being broken off, huh?
Jameshowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
Veritas
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Hey folks,

Thought I'd chip in here as a Wolvie fan...

As was said, I've always been very dissappointed at the lack of effort most crator's have put into his claws as well. I've always had an image in my mind as to how they are supposed to be shaped. Anyways, for those interested... I may have put more effort into these claws thatn any other part, and it took forever to figure out how to get the effect I wanted. Sculpey doesn't work- too brittle, I tried it with wire inside- no dice. Prongs of a fork- nope. Metal shavings- good luck...

So I found a CD case and sketched the claw onto it. Then I began scoring it with an exacto knife. Note, if you do this ensure that you thouroughly score it on both sides before you attempt to break it out- it will shatter and you'll have to start over agan. Once you have it out you can shave and file it down, then sand it to you desired finish. These claws were actually beveled down to a near razor edge and are extremely sharp. (that's not a reddish brown paint, it's blood from the number of slices on my friggin fingers!) I had to dull them a bit before I messed around too much...

Just thought I'd share!

Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #23
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Hey folks,

As was said, I've always been very dissappointed at the lack of effort most crator's have put into his claws as well. I've always had an image in my mind as to how they are supposed to be shaped. Anyways, for those interested... I may have put more effort into these claws thatn any other part, and it took forever to figure out how to get the effect I wanted. Sculpey doesn't work- too brittle, I tried it with wire inside- no dice. Prongs of a fork- nope. Metal shavings- good luck...

So I found a CD case and sketched the claw onto it. Then I began scoring it with an exacto knife. Note, if you do this ensure that you thouroughly score it on both sides before you attempt to break it out- it will shatter and you'll have to start over agan. Once you have it out you can shave and file it down, then sand it to you desired finish. These claws were actually beveled down to a near razor edge and are extremely sharp. (that's not a reddish brown paint, it's blood from the number of slices on my friggin fingers!) I had to dull them a bit before I messed around too much...

Just thought I'd share!

Great job that looks incredible.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #24
Jameshowlett
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd share!

I noticed that right away on your piece. You nailed his claws perfectly.
Jameshowlett is offline   Reply With Quote