Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
demonhunter
Kingpin

Wow, I thought Kotobukiya was going to do Marvel characters in their standard PVC format only. Good to know that they are also doing polystone, and maybe even putting some electronics like led light ups in their busts.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I love Koto stuff...can't wait to see what they do w/ the license.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
jimmmy
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Bit more info taken from figures.com:

Company reveals extensive Marvel collectible plans for 2008...

Kotobukiya’s Marvel Panel at Wizard World Los Angeles was a fantastic highlight of the show. Koto’s own Frank Supiot presented the company’s plan for their Marvel license, while ToyFare Senior Editor Zach Oat moderated questions from the audience. Loads of news and information was presented, but no photography was allowed during the panel.

As already stated in our Toy Fair coverage, Koto intends to create Marvel collectibles in seven product categories: ArtFX Statues, ArtFX Theatre, Fine Art Busts, Fine Art Statues, One-Coin Mini Figures (Yupon), Bishoujo Statues, and Bookends.

Before beginning to dive into the products, a moment was taken to assure fans that Koto’s style would follow classic comic adaptations, not necessarily the wild interpretations Koto previously did for their Diamond Select Marvel statues. It was also confirmed that Koto will be THE primary producer of high-end Marvel goods going forward. While Koto already announced that they’d be releasing product from this year’s Iron Man and Hulk Films, they also assured fans that they will be doing product from Punisher War Zone.

Though no specific characters were announced in some lines, details were released for several of the other categories. Fans of the ArtFX Statues can look forward to a vinyl model kit of the Mighty Thor, with interchangeable bearded and non-bearded heads and hands. In fact, each comic-based ArtFX Statue will include an “Energy/Power” hand which features the character’s power on display with translucent plastics. Each comic statue will also have two bases, a detailed environment base and a universal name base allow all characters to be uniformly displayed.

Looking at previous Marvel films, Koto will also be producing a Blade ArtFX Statue based on the character’s appearance in the films. The Blade piece will feature interchangeable human and vampire heads, as well as removable sunglasses.

Koto is planning to use the ArtFX Theatre line to recreate some of Marvel’s most important and memorable comic milestones. In the current issue of ToyFare magazine, fans are being encouraged to not only vote on current Koto ideas for the statues, but also submit their own ideas for upcoming ArtFX Theatre pieces.

The first wave of one-coin mini figures, based on the designs of Japanese artist, Yupon, is set to debut this fall, and fans were given the first wave’s 6 “known” characters: Dr. Doom, AIM Agent, Phoenix, Thing, Spider-man, and Nick Fury. 2 mystery characters will also be included with each wave. The figures will be blind-boxed, but the countertop display assortments will include all 8 figures and an additional army builder Unit (AIM Agent, in the first wave’s case) per display, ensuring that all characters have relatively equal availability to fans.

The Fine Art Statues coming this year will surely excite fans, as Koto has plans for both The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man pieces. Both Hulk and Abomination will be featured in the movie line, each with a half of a Humvee and connecting bases — giving the statues the appearance of a single piece with the two titans looking to smash one another with parts of the vehicle. As a bonus, the Abomination will also include an alternate head for the Hulk, so that those who buy both statues will have a unqiue diplay opportunity for the Hulk character. Not to be outdone by the Hulk products, the Iron Man statue will feature LED lights.

Fine Art Busts will surely please both comic and movie fans, as ALL the busts released will be featured in the same 1/6 scale. This of course means that the Hulk bust, due out this year, will tower over the Iron Man movie bust, which features LED lights; and each of these busts will be in scale with the upcoming Daredevil and Cyclops comic-based busts. The comic bust bases will also be reversible, with the character’s name on one side, and a mini-sculpure of their civilian identity’s face on the other. Koto intends to do many classic X-Men at the beginning of this line as well, touching on some characters who have not been made in bust form for many years.

Though no specific characters have been confirmed for the Bishoujo Statues, Frank Supiot did confirm that they would be sexy versions of character in costume, not nude. Also, Koto still plans to follow through with the single-bookend model, wherein only one bookend of a given team is sold at a time, allowing fans to create any set of 2 bookeneds they’d like.
jimmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #24
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Hmmm, sounds like Koto is serious. Maybe this is why Randy seems to be bringing his "A" game to this phase.
This could play out a few different ways.
Scenario 1. Koto goes the DST route, and end up all over the place with inconsistent scale, overdone characters, and hit and miss sculpts.
Scenario 2. Koto makes a halfway decent go at it from a quality point-of-view, but so-so sales, unfulfilled promises, delayed or spotty releases, paltry character selection (BD's got what, an 8-year head start) and bad timing (recession) derail the best laid plans.
Scenario 3. Koto pretty much goes head-to-head with BD and Sideshow. Although they are playing catch-up, their sculpts are cool enough... their character selection is broad enough... their release schedule is aggressive enough... their pockets are deep enough... and their prices are competitive enough for buyers to really consider them a viable (and sometimes preferable) alternative. Make room for another player in the sandbox.
Scenario 4. Koto completely blows everyone away with at least two of the product lines, let's say the statues and busts. The sculpts turn out to be amazing. The slightly larger scale allows for more detail. Scale is spot-on consistent, The character selection is fantastic--mixing big guns with obscure but cool characters. Teams like the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc.) are able to be assembled in 12-18 months as opposed to years.

Personally I don't know what I would prefer to see (other than the fact that I would have preferred to see them get the DC license, but who knows considering how great their Batman was). I'll take a wait and see approach for starters and see how it plays out. One or two great pieces does not a company make. I think BD is way too far ahead for any company to mount a serious threat to the product line (look at Hard Hero), but who knows.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #25
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

they are also making Marvel female characters like they did with Supergirl and Catwoman. I cannot wait for that!
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Vracula
Jedi Order

if they go resin and start producing limited pieces,im in,i love their poses.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #27
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

their style can be a little "out there" and weird for me..I'll wait and see
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #28
hellboydce
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

their star wars poses are excellent, the only thing i have never liked with koto is with their stuff being plastic, but this sounds like they are taking it very seriously, which can only be good news for us
hellboydce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #29
jkazemi
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Kotobukiya Marvel statues SUCK>>>>>>
they should not be given the License.
jkazemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #30
demonhunter
Kingpin

I think some of you may have missed this:

Quote:
Before beginning to dive into the products, a moment was taken to assure fans that Koto’s style would follow classic comic adaptations, not necessarily the wild interpretations Koto previously did for their Diamond Select Marvel statues.
There is hope for non wacky Kotobukiya styles of sculpting/interpretations, if that is what you'd prefer. Personally, I do.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote