Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
Caveman
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
All my statues are in our livingroom. I don't how many times I heard people say to my wife "I can't believe you let him keep that stuff in here", my own mother being one of those people.

I do kinda like when people ask "Where does Pat get all this stuff?", kinda feels like I'm the Indiana Jones of eBay or something.
Alright Indie...there ain't nothing subtle about displaying all over living room.

Once my basement is done my stuff will be displayed proudly also.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #22
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Alright Indie...there ain't nothing subtle about displaying all over living room.

Once my basement is done my stuff will be displayed proudly also.
Unfortunately no basement and my attic isn't finished. The one spare room I had became my son's room so the livingroom is where they be. I'm very careful in keeping it neat, once it looks cluttered it's time to sell off some stuff.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #23
JasonTD
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I've actually met almost all my geek-savvy friends via convention-going. I had a nasty breakup back in 2002, and afterwards I decided I was going to focus on stuff that made *me* happy. So I went solo to a local convention and ended up striking up conversations with a few random people there. I became friends with them, eventually met their friends, and it grew from there. I moved to Orlando, FL, in 2004, and there's a massive geek community down here. It really is crazy how prevalent the love of comics, anime, gaming, collecting, etc, is in this town. It might have something to do with Disney World and Universal Studios being here and providing so many jobs.
JasonTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #24
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Cool

In my line of work it may be detrimental due to the stupid stigma of being a member of geekdom if you are a fan of comic/scifi/pop art. my biz is way to snobby for my liking at times. But the product is what I am passionate about and not the unfortunate dealings from time to time with snobs.

I have though converted a bunch of my friends that weren't big fans into collectors. And Have to admit the recent string of good comic related films have helped.

But I have only once met a true comic fan that is a client of mine and he has been since childhood. And the funny thing is he is a great business man and colleague in my field and not a snob. I wish the others would learn from him.

He does collect more DC then Marvel though. his only flaw! J/K

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #25
MACATTACK
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

This is a cool thread, and it seems a lot of you are quite lucky as you know others (however small the numbers) who share our passion for this hobby.

I work in an organisation of 50,000+ people, and we have a 'For Sale & Wanted' area on our intranet. I had a spare Black Cat Comiquette so I thought I'd list it, asking people to make me an offer (rather than me slapping a price on her), but NOBODY replied or showed any interest at all!

I feel so alone, hold me....
MACATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 AM   #26
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Despite the big @ss BPRD symbol on my bag...

There's always something like phonebook or yellowbook around the phone, I usually draw random comic stuff on the cover or the blank pages, a Thanos head for example, that hooked me up with another hidden dork.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #27
polystoner
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTACK View Post
I work in an organisation of 50,000+ people, and we have a 'For Sale & Wanted' area on our intranet. I had a spare Black Cat Comiquette so I thought I'd list it, asking people to make me an offer (rather than me slapping a price on her), but NOBODY replied or showed any interest at all!
Ouch! I feel for you there buddy.

When I was an Art Director/Creative Director/ and Director of Marketing, I used to hire creative types all the time. I only hired the ones that had some comic art or something like that in their portfolios. Seriously. Usually it was males who had some kind of Transformer rendering.

They were great because we could sneak off in the middle of the day sometimes to go to go see a SW movie or take long lunches to make toy runs. Ahh, those were the days.....
polystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #28
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by polystoner View Post
Ouch! I feel for you there buddy.

When I was an Art Director/Creative Director/ and Director of Marketing, I used to hire creative types all the time. I only hired the ones that had some comic art or something like that in their portfolios. Seriously. Usually it was males who had some kind of Transformer rendering.

They were great because we could sneak off in the middle of the day sometimes to go to go see a SW movie or take long lunches to make toy runs. Ahh, those were the days.....
Is that why you're art director no more?
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #29
Caveman
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
This is a cool thread, and it seems a lot of you are quite lucky as you know others (however small the numbers) who share our passion for this hobby.

That is sad bro Sorry to hear that you are alone among 50K people. The bright side is you always have us
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #30
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Quote:

They way you should look at it is that you are the only one out of 50,000 employees that knows cool pop art when you see it. And that are confident enough to let everyone know it!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote