Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #21
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNutta View Post
I prefer published art but its terribly expensive. I give myself maybe 5 more years in this hobby before I get bought out. I thought when I started, the pages were expensive but they seem to be getting even more expensive.
This is an interesting statement. WHY??? as collectors can we just not stop and be happy with what we got? I have hardly ever heard anyone say I have no more room so that's it. A friend decided to stop collecting the new G.I.Joe line. Ok... What does he do, he sells the whole collection. People stop collecting Bowen, they sell there whole collection.

Are we as a community unable to stop collecting while the other collectors are still buying. Must we always purge the addiction? I think you guys know what I'm talking about. Think back to how many collectors have stopped then sell everything. Is there anyone out there who just stopped?
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #22
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

It's a mix for me, with published coming out on top by a narrow margin. Nothing I love more than a nice cover. But commissions are a lot of fun when there is nothing I am actively going after, and just hoping older stuff comes up. I like that I can get a commission that is a little different, maybe something that I'd never get to see in published work. But in the end nothing gets the blood pumping like seeing a cover come up that you have been wanting.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
Royd
Producer
Producer

While I also sometimes despair about the rising prices of original artwork, thankfully, many of the artists whose work I've followed over a number of years and who've become mates, generously cut me slack with their pricing.

If they didn't do that I would definitely be struggling to add more than one or two new pieces a year! I sincerely appreciate their generosity and friendship Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
This is an interesting statement. WHY??? as collectors can we just not stop and be happy with what we got? I have hardly ever heard anyone say I have no more room so that's it. A friend decided to stop collecting the new G.I.Joe line. Ok... What does he do, he sells the whole collection. People stop collecting Bowen, they sell there whole collection.

Are we as a community unable to stop collecting while the other collectors are still buying. Must we always purge the addiction? I think you guys know what I'm talking about. Think back to how many collectors have stopped then sell everything. Is there anyone out there who just stopped?
I believe the reason that some people do this is to generate funds for whatever their new focus of attention is. If you're done collecting one thing (and in general, I think this means you've lost interest), you can sell whatever it is you're tired of and instantly have lots of money for that new thing.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
ecthelion
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post

The buying and expanding your collection itself is half of the fun. So if you have to stop the buying, the hobby will get half as fun. Which is bad.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think the "purge" could also be explained by a need to formally establish a sense of closure. Whether it's an age thing, a different set of priorities setting in, flat out boredom, or even necessity, it's still generally about moving on.

I think it's natural for our interests to evolve or change over the years. Unless the drive to keep a particular hobby alive is consistently being reinforced in some way, it's a question of time before one becomes more devoted to other things to feel good about. I tend to believe that personal drives don't really die, they just get diverted elsewhere where they can achieve some measure of satisfaction.

The rising costs of artwork is likely compelling many fans to consider giving up the hobby. It's a shame. Thing is, as long as there are fans willing to dig deep into their pockets for artwork, not that there's anything intrisically wrong with that, the greater a role they inadvertently play in turning this hobby into something far more exclusive than it was likely meant to be or can handle long term. I wonder how that will play out in the future.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Royd
Producer
Producer

In 20 years of collecting original comic art, I've had periods (one or two lasting 12 months) where I've had to change jobs and/or my disposable income was affected in some way. However, I've never considered giving up the hobby!

Take the long-term view and add what you can when you can - patience mates Best,

Royd
Old 08-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
In 20 years of collecting original comic art, I've had periods (one or two lasting 12 months) where I've had to change jobs and/or my disposable income was affected in some way. However, I've never considered giving up the hobby!

Take the long-term view and add what you can when you can - patience mates Best,

Royd

Royd, your situation is quite unique in the sense that you know a lot of people in the industry and are privy to deals many of us would never see, let alone enjoy on any consistent basis. In addition, you also present yourself as a mature collector whose money does not generally burn holes in his pockets. Even if we take all that away, you're still not the type to want to have it all or as much of it as possible in short order. Essentially, you're sane and connections aside, you serve as an excellent model as collector.

If more collectors presented themselves as you have, that is, more in control of their compulsions and finances, I wonder what the industry would look like today. At the very least, we'd have more people able to say "no", I think.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #29
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Royd, your situation is quite unique in the sense that you know a lot of people in the industry and are privy to deals many of us would never see, let alone enjoy on any consistent basis. In addition, you also present yourself as a mature collector whose money does not generally burn holes in his pockets. Even if we take all that away, you're still not the type to want to have it all or as much of it as possible in short order.

If more collectors presented themselves as you have, that is, more in control of their compulsions and finances, I wonder what the industry would look like today. At the very least, we'd have more people able to say "no", I think.
NO...There I said it.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #30
Royd
Producer
Producer

Thanks for the compliments although I think my wife might argue with you regarding the level of my compulsion with the hobby - haha! It's all relative

Bottom line, there's lot more "stuff" more important than the next piece of comic art and almost everything eventually comes your way if patient. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Royd, your situation is quite unique in the sense that you know a lot of people in the industry and are privy to deals many of us would never see, let alone enjoy on any consistent basis. In addition, you also present yourself as a mature collector whose money does not generally burn holes in his pockets. Even if we take all that away, you're still not the type to want to have it all or as much of it as possible in short order. Essentially, you're sane and connections aside, you serve as an excellent model as collector.