Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

I didn't take your comments as a slight either, Bill. But I am surprised that the value of a piece influences how you feel about the artwork. It sounded like if the pieces were overpriced, then the piece would be less impressive in your eyes. Obviously, when we purchase art, we have to balance cost with how we feel about the art. But if I'm just browsing someone's gallery, I don't think the value should have any influence on whether we think the art itself is impressive or not.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
I didn't take your comments as a slight either, Bill. But I am surprised that the value of a piece influences how you feel about the artwork. It sounded like if the pieces were overpriced, then the piece would be less impressive in your eyes. Obviously, when we purchase art, we have to balance cost with how we feel about the art. But if I'm just browsing someone's gallery, I don't think the value should have any influence on whether we think the art itself is impressive or not.
I still think the art is impressive -- and its not so much that the value/worth influences my opinion or enjoyment of the art, its just there. For example, yesterday I saw an incredible Jim Lee double page splash and was in awe. WHile in awe, I also wondered how much that piece must have cost and whether I would pay $5k or $10k or maybe even $15k for it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Each to his own although I suspect that many will find Jim's collection of interest if not impressive.

You have fairly focussed interests and the focus of your collection (Spider-Woman) is impressive but of absolutely no interest to me *shrug* You may feel the same way about some of my own pieces but I'm happy with that as that means we're not competing!

I would dearly love to have a Dave Stevens or Frank Frazetta in my own collection but doubt I could ever afford such a piece. These pieces are but a ripple in Jim's incredible collection and I hope we get to see more.
I can and do find value in alot of peoples collection that is not Spider-Woman. At the time he only had 13 pieces listed. I only clicked the new section and it brings all of the pieces up not the names. So by just looking at the pieces and not getting wowed by the names there was nothing at the time that I was impressed with.

Now he has added a few more pieces and I am very impressed with the Perez Batman Joker piece.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I hope people are not taking my comment as a slight against Jim's collection. I do appreciate the art for what it is, but just would not add it to my collection based on what the pieces would cost (hence the comment re value). Just as I assume most people would not want to add many of the pieces from my collection to theirs for the same reason. And my point was suppossed to be about how great that makes this aspect of the hobby -- everyone wants different things because of their tastes.

Now that Joker balloon he added is pretty incredible.

I like Superhero art and most of the stuff he posted is not Superhero art. Just not my thing.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #25
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I hope people are not taking my comment as a slight against Jim's collection. I do appreciate the art for what it is, but just would not add it to my collection based on what the pieces would cost (hence the comment re value). Just as I assume most people would not want to add many of the pieces from my collection to theirs for the same reason. And my point was suppossed to be about how great that makes this aspect of the hobby -- everyone wants different things because of their tastes.

Now that Joker balloon he added is pretty incredible.
well said Bill, I concur

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #26
Royd
Producer
Producer

Jim's updated his gallery again with an Adam Hughes Ghost cover (WoW!!), Kelly Jones Batman piece, Will Eisner Spirit cover etc.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #27
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Jim's updated his gallery again with an Adam Hughes Ghost cover (WoW!!), Kelly Jones Batman piece, Will Eisner Spirit cover etc.
My favorite Ghost cover too! Some really impressive pieces!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #28
Royd
Producer
Producer

Jim's done a couple more updates, the latest one features artwork by Travis Charest (incredible Gen 13 cover), Jeff Jones, John Buscema and an awesome Tim Sale Long Halloween SDCC display pin-up!

You can see the pieces here - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5816
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
Underdog07
Hercules

That Spidey/MJ christmas piece is pretty fun
Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I like Superhero art and most of the stuff he posted is not Superhero art. Just not my thing.
Would it help if I said they were all skrulls?