Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #301
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Man not the way I wanted to go out this year. It seems like bad ref calls and questionable unchallengable plays were enough to keep my Niners out of the SB. Ironic that the last play was to the exact same spot as their SB loss to Baltimore. Next year lol
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #302
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Man not the way I wanted to go out this year. It seems like bad ref calls and questionable unchallengable plays were enough to keep my Niners out of the SB. Ironic that the last play was to the exact same spot as their SB loss to Baltimore. Next year lol
Unfortunately the refs definitely did blow a couple calls. That running into the kicker should have been the 15 yard variety and an automatic first down for the Niners. The fumble on the goal line I'm a bit more forgiving as they didn't see Bowman recover it before losing it in the pile to Lynch. The problem with that call was it wasn't reviewable. Something I expect to be fixed next year.

All that being said those calls didn't cost the Niners the game. It was the 3 turnovers by Kap in the 4th quarter, and even then they were still in it until the last play and that's impressive. Niners fans should be proud of their team. Both them and the Hawks are so evenly matched it was bound to come down to who made the fewest mistakes down the stretch. This was an epic match-up.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #303
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
Sherman was out of line but I think the media made a much bigger deal out of it then it really was (shocker). They just run everything into the ground. Same thing with Welker's hit on Talib and Bill Belicheat's comments on it...who cares what he thinks, their season is over and nobody cares.

The only thing that bothered me on Sunday was the fans dumping popcorn on Bowman as he was carted into the tunnel. That is about as classless as you can get. Even Philly fans thought that was embarrassing.
There is no doubt that the 24 hour news cycle that we live in today blows things out of proportion on a regular basis and in some cases instigates heated remarks and exchanges. I agree that the whole Bowman incident was pretty bad and speaks to the classless and insensitive nature that some fans treat pro athletes from opposing teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The Sherman thing is indeed getting totally overblown. The guy plays with an intensity that is unmatched in the NFL and that sideline interview took place seconds after him making the biggest play of his young career. Trash talking is part of who he is, it's one of the reasons he is so good at his position. He gets in the receiver's head and attacks them on a psychological level.

There is also a history between him and Crabtree that nobody is talking about which goes back to Crabtree insulting Sherman publicly during a charity golf event that Larry Fitzgerald held in the off-season. Sherman responded to the insult by saying we'll see once we hit the field.

Reporters are always looking for someone to be real, to answer their questions with something other than the trademark cliches and now that a player shows some raw emotion he is being vilified for it. Even Erin Andrews said she loved the response and saw nothing wrong with it. If he is going to be held to such a high standard then maybe people shouldn't hold other athletes in such high regard that have done the same thing throughout their career. Case in point Muhammad Ali. The biggest trash talker of all time.

One other thing, Sherman isn't a bad guy. He had this to say about what happened to Bowman....
I may have been a bit too harsh in my assessment of Sherman. I was talking to a buddy after I made my post and he informed me of the history Sherman has had with Crabtree that you also mentioned which I wasn't aware of. Couple that with the adrenaline rush he must have had going on at the time of the interview and he probably deserves some slack.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #304
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Unfortunately the refs definitely did blow a couple calls. That running into the kicker should have been the 15 yard variety and an automatic first down for the Niners. The fumble on the goal line I'm a bit more forgiving as they didn't see Bowman recover it before losing it in the pile to Lynch. The problem with that call was it wasn't reviewable. Something I expect to be fixed next year.

All that being said those calls didn't cost the Niners the game. It was the 3 turnovers by Kap in the 4th quarter, and even then they were still in it until the last play and that's impressive. Niners fans should be proud of their team. Both them and the Hawks are so evenly matched it was bound to come down to who made the fewest mistakes down the stretch. This was an epic match-up.
True. I do appreciate Kaep taking the blame for those 3 miscues in the 2nd half. It looks like this rivalry will be going on for a while lol
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #305
actionjackson83
Midnighter

Sherman is definitely one of the most misunderstood athletes, part of it is his own doing due to the way he acts, but usually it's in retaliation, perfect example is when he plays Larry Fitzgerald, he never trash talks Larry because Larry doesn't try to ruffle his feathers, they just respect each other's game and let the best man win. He only does this to people that try to start it first he never starts it himself.
actionjackson83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #306
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Let it snow!!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #307
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Fun fact:Last time Russell Wilson grew out his hair like he is doing now,he lead his team to the Big Ten Championship...I know its not the same as this,but I am just sayin
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #308
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

So Sherman is still the badguy ? I think not, MIC'D audio from the moment it happened.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...videos_sherman

LOL Crabtree....----in' sore loser douche.
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #309
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I wish some of these idiots I've been listening to over the past few days on the radio and tv that have been vilifying Sherman would take a minute to watch that clip. Maybe then they'd understand the context of the situation and how raw Sherman's comments were.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #310
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Man I am so freaking jacked for the game this Sunday. Despite the fact that my team is in it I think this is going to be a great Super Bowl.

GO HAWKS!!