Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #311
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Curious what your issues were with Death? He is the one that got me into the line and I was blown away by him in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
Mine arrived today but haven't open it yet, box is quite big indeed.

I think most will display him without the mask on, why hide all the nice details? For only $10 extra it makes no sense not to buy the Ex if you do order from Sideshow, plus the included stand is a nice touch to display the mask next to the statue.

This is a much better statue than Death which was a huge let down in my opinion and at $100 extra. He's probably the worst one out of the entire COTD series.
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #312
Indridcold99
The Avengers

Is the lightness of the statue concerning? One of the YouTube reviews said it was of cheap material
Indridcold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #313
Vic Viper
Fantastic Four

Sideshow official unboxing is up, epic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMPcmoMwa7o
Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #314
Vic Viper
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_paulik87 View Post
Curious what your issues were with Death? He is the one that got me into the line and I was blown away by him in hand.
Perhaps you meant Demithyle Reaper that got you started? Death just feels off to me on so many levels, from the design, pose, clothing, details to the price.

The 2D art was amazing but for some reason Sideshow failed to translate him into a 3D sculture on this one. He had a ton of potentials to be much better. Not to mention now they want another $150 for the 3 new masks which should have all been included in the first place for the price point. Only thing I like it's his sheer size and the base.

There's a dedicated thread on Death where you can find more info.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #315
Vic Viper
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indridcold99 View Post
Is the lightness of the statue concerning? One of the YouTube reviews said it was of cheap material
It's simply mixed media and not as bad as what he's making it sound like. The statue is actually heavier than I expected. I believe Mortighull's overall weight is heavier than most other COTD characters except Oglavaeil and Demithyle.

My only gripe is that the sword is not made of metal, that alone would have make the statue much more premium. They should have made the sword piece with both hands separate from the wrists rather than at the elbows and use stronger magnets which should have no problem holding up a full metal sword.

Also the capes are not wired on this piece, would have been nice if so. Though not as important as a piece like Kier.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #316
Indridcold99
The Avengers

Thanks for everyone’s input...Would we say this or Demithyle 2.0 is an overall better pchoice ? I honestly just want one stand alone COTD piece. I had the original reaper LSF and Oglaveil w/scratch. Both were outstanding.
Indridcold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #317
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I like this statue, but I have gripes. The arms and sword are made of PVC and it feels very cheap. As in, cheaper plastic than most dollar tree toys. The magnets seem weak and the portrait is also a very light feeling PVC. The pointy parts of the shoes are also a very thin PVC.

Once it is together, it looks awesome sans the sword which looks so cheap it's mind-boggling.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #318
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I like this statue, but I have gripes. The arms and sword are made of PVC and it feels very cheap. As in, cheaper plastic than most dollar tree toys. The magnets seem weak and the portrait is also a very light feeling PVC. The pointy parts of the shoes are also a very thin PVC.

Once it is together, it looks awesome sans the sword which looks so cheap it's mind-boggling.
If it was very thin resin you'd be here now complaining that the piece was broken. They use plastic for a reason, and super thing detailed piece in resin for mass production wouldn't be viable.

Everywhere they have used plastic feels very much appropriate and none of this takes away from what an incredible piece this is.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #319
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indridcold99 View Post
Thanks for everyone’s input...Would we say this or Demithyle 2.0 is an overall better pchoice ? I honestly just want one stand alone COTD piece. I had the original reaper LSF and Oglaveil w/scratch. Both were outstanding.
There's a lot of different aesthetics in the court i wouldn't compare something like the Red Death to something like Mortighull....but if you want your statues chock full of details and like the bone/armour/reaper aesthetic then i don't think much compares to Mortighull...i love Demithyle but i'd choose Mortighull over him....
Old 10-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #320
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Perhaps you meant Demithyle Reaper that got you started? Death just feels off to me on so many levels, from the design, pose, clothing, details to the price.

The 2D art was amazing but for some reason Sideshow failed to translate him into a 3D sculture on this one. He had a ton of potentials to be much better. Not to mention now they want another $150 for the 3 new masks which should have all been included in the first place for the price point. Only thing I like it's his sheer size and the base.

There's a dedicated thread on Death where you can find more info.
I had no problem with Death he looks 95% of what was advertised back in 2014, i think when you compare prices, mixed media is just a lot more expensive now and i've heard mention that very few factories want to do it anymore...that's why we see more fully sculpted statues across the board.

Quote:
It's simply mixed media and not as bad as what he's making it sound like. The statue is actually heavier than I expected. I believe Mortighull's overall weight is heavier than most other COTD characters except Oglavaeil and Demithyle.

My only gripe is that the sword is not made of metal, that alone would have make the statue much more premium. They should have made the sword piece with both hands separate from the wrists rather than at the elbows and use stronger magnets which should have no problem holding up a full metal sword.

Also the capes are not wired on this piece, would have been nice if so. Though not as important as a piece like Kier.
I think if it was made of metal the entire sword and hands would have had to be made of metal...i would be concerned with leaning if only the blade was metal, or even the blade and hilt...again i don't think it detracts from the overall piece at all.