Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-16-2023, 10:30 AM   #331
Iko Iko
Fantomah

After looking at the Queen bust, I think JND did an even better job. Is this JND perfect? No. But it is 90% for me and that is enough for my money. As others have stated, they don't see it or don't think the value is there. And that is fine. We all speak with our wallets and in the end, if you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #332
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

People see different things.

Xenoburger just left a comment saying the JND suit is "awful" - I went back to the reference photos, and I can't see any difference between the photos and JND's work. This doesn't mean he's wrong, and I'm right....I guess we just see different things.

In the end, opinions are just opinions. It's very easy to get caught up in heated debates, but rarely will such debates "convince" the other side.....and why should they? At the end of the day, we're all grown ups, spending our own money, tending to our own personal collections.
You can't see any difference between JND's suit and the film suits? I can understand one recognizing the inaccuracy and accepting it as is, but this is such a glaring flaw in my eyes.

It is so massively over-textured. It reminds me of silica gel beads.

I think the black suit looks quite a bit better, I'm assuming because it's less reflective.

The only other issue I have with it is the musculature being noticeably tighter and more defined than he has appeared in any film.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:42 PM   #333
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
You can't see any difference between JND's suit and the film suits? I can understand one recognizing the inaccuracy and accepting it as is, but this is such a glaring flaw in my eyes.

It is so massively over-textured. It reminds me of silica gel beads.

I think the black suit looks quite a bit better, I'm assuming because it's less reflective.

The only other issue I have with it is the musculature being noticeably tighter and more defined than he has appeared in any film.
Honestly, I don't see it. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong.

I remember back when Sideshow started doing their ANH Star Wars Stormtrooper - I thought it looked on point, but there were guys (obviously more knowledgeable than me) ripping it to pieces for being inaccurate. The colour is off, the helmet line is at the wrong height, etc. etc.

Details like that really matter to some people.

I see this Superman suit, and recognize it for what it is. If it's not 100% screen accurate, (at least for me) - it doesn't seem to detract from the piece.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #334
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The suit was the reason why I slightly hesitated preordering. I was expecting it to look like Prime 1's half scale.
And I was thinking, if its not, it might still look mixed media like Catwoman or Battinson.

But I'm glad to see the videos of the exhibition, to me, it still looks magnificent. The colors really pop out. When you had to zoom out pics of the all the statues, your eyes are just quickly drawn to Supes. I'm sure it will stand out in the collection.

As I mentioned, my only nitpick now is the lack of chrome highlights. Since they didnt go mixed media, You can still add the chrome highlights by painting the base paint in chrome, and then adding layers of blue.
But still, honestly, its just a nitpick, even as it is, I'm perfectly happy with it.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM   #335
RemydaGambit

Quote:
Honestly, I don't see it. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong.

I remember back when Sideshow started doing their ANH Star Wars Stormtrooper - I thought it looked on point, but there were guys (obviously more knowledgeable than me) ripping it to pieces for being inaccurate. The colour is off, the helmet line is at the wrong height, etc. etc.

Details like that really matter to some people.

I see this Superman suit, and recognize it for what it is. If it's not 100% screen accurate, (at least for me) - it doesn't seem to detract from the piece.
Here?s a picture I took of the suit when the Zach Snyder exhibition was in Dallas.
Really cool to see it in person. You can see the muscle suit underneath, and the blue suit is made of some mesh type material so you can see the chrome muscle suit underneath.

Henry wearing the suit.

Honestly, looking at the JND again, I really cant complain. lol. To me, this is just freaking beautiful.
In a way, it might be even better they went this route than the mixed media cause I know people who had the Prime 1 had some issues.
The 1/3 had some glue issue where the thing that holds the cape in place, the one above the "S" symbol starts to come off.
And I've seen instances of the 1/2 scale where there some was glue residue on some places of the suit.
So this may actually be even better than using mixed media.

Re-evaluating this now, it does still look like intended and a muscle suit with a mesh suit over it.
I'm perfectly happy as it is.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #336
komodo112

For me, the movie black suit is a huge improvement from the comic version. Looks far better with the cape and no facial hair/mullet. On Cavill, it looks like a bad-ass upgrade. I think textures look better on the Black (something about the Blue feels off) and we know JND is going to make far less of the Black Suit Version. Finally of course, the Synder JL Movie was awesome. I liked having Superman as the deus ex machina factor. (That is how I always saw Superman)

But...Blue is Iconic

I caved in and got the Blue (but having doubts because the Black screams bad-ass). The reason I chose Blue was from my wife's feedback. She said the blue is more of an eye catcher. For something so cool looking the black may just blend in with your collection instead of stand out.
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #337
RemydaGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo112 View Post
For me, the movie black suit is a huge improvement from the comic version. Looks far better with the cape and no facial hair/mullet. On Cavill, it looks like a bad-ass upgrade. I think textures look better on the Black (something about the Blue feels off) and we know JND is going to make far less of the Black Suit Version. Finally of course, the Synder JL Movie was awesome. I liked having Superman as the deus ex machina factor. (That is how I always saw Superman)

But...Blue is Iconic

I caved in and got the Blue (but having doubts because the Black screams bad-ass). The reason I chose Blue was from my wife's feedback. She said the blue is more of an eye catcher. For something so cool looking the black may just blend in with your collection instead of stand out.
If you're only gonna have 1 Superman, for me, it has to be the blue. When you think of Superman, its always the blue and red. Its the true colors of his suit.

Unless you have several blue superman statues already, then the black suit is great as an alternative.
Also, if you can afford to double dip, cause the heat vision head looks perfect in the black suit.
But I can only get 1, so for me personally, its not even an option. It has to be the blue suit.
I also do like it better than the black suit. Those colors JND used just pops.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:06 PM   #338
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

@RemydaGambit

Once again, you've come through with some great reference material! And, I'm super happy with the way this Superman has turned out. In fact, every time you post more references back to the movies, I get a deeper appreciation of just how well JND have executed this piece.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone who has been picky with the piece, it's a lot of money - and I understand that people need to feel comfortable that they're getting true value for money. I'm not even going to say something silly like "this is the BEST Superman statue out there" - I think it might be, but there is competition, and the competition is really hot
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:12 PM   #339
komodo112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post

Honestly, looking at the JND again, I really cant complain. lol. To me, this is just freaking beautiful.
In a way, it might be even better they went this route than the mixed media cause I know people who had the Prime 1 had some issues.
The 1/3 had some glue issue where the thing that holds the cape in place, the one above the "S" symbol starts to come off.
And I've seen instances of the 1/2 scale where there some was glue residue on some places of the suit.
So this may actually be even better than using mixed media.

Re-evaluating this now, it does still look like intended and a muscle suit with a mesh suit over it.
I'm perfectly happy as it is.
I found this from another forum. I think this poster nailed it regarding how the costumes turned out with the muscle proportions:

"The only thing I can think of is that this was intended to only be a black suit release, so they exaggerated the muscles because they would be harder to see in the black suit. Then they decided to also offer the blue and red suit, and it?s just over pronounced in that color scheme. The body definitely looks better on the black suit version, so it makes sense."

The fact that its not mixed media helped me pull the trigger. I always say sculpted is better than fabric because too much of it crosses into the doll territory for me. Because of how much I love this statue, I can accept the cape. Never owned a piece with rooted hair either (again, doll territory) but in this case I think I'll be happy with the result.

You're right about the costume. For the most part I like the improvements. I know they're basing it from the Justice League but this one brings me to the end credits from Black Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
If you're only gonna have 1 Superman, for me, it has to be the blue. When you think of Superman, its always the blue and red. Its the true colors of his suit.

Unless you have several blue superman statues already, then the black suit is great as an alternative.
Also, if you can afford to double dip, cause the heat vision head looks perfect in the black suit.
But I can only get 1, so for me personally, its not even an option. It has to be the blue suit.
I also do like it better than the black suit. Those colors JND used just pops.
Not the biggest fan of the heat vision portrait.

I used to have multiple Superman Statues but when I think about it, this JND Version is everything I wanted in a Superman Piece.

Its the perfect concept. Love the flying effect, its not too dynamic but at the same time it projects Superman's Power. But most importantly, JND did a solid job bringing Cavill to life. He's one of, if not my favorite memory of Superman.

Yeah, if I had to choose one, its the Blue, but man if I could, I'd get both. Display them in different rooms. No wrong choice here.
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #340
RemydaGambit

Quote:
@RemydaGambit

Once again, you've come through with some great reference material! And, I'm super happy with the way this Superman has turned out. In fact, every time you post more references back to the movies, I get a deeper appreciation of just how well JND have executed this piece.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone who has been picky with the piece, it's a lot of money - and I understand that people need to feel comfortable that they're getting true value for money. I'm not even going to say something silly like "this is the BEST Superman statue out there" - I think it might be, but there is competition, and the competition is really hot
Glad to help.

As you said, this is such an expensive piece, so it does deserve all its scrutiny.
One of the worst thing in collecting is buyers remorse, and at this price, you have to feel fully confident with the decision.
I'm really glad that JND had this exhibition, cause I did have lingering second thoughts, specially since I had to cancel JND The Batman, to get this.
But after seeing the videos and pictures in the exhibition, it helped solidify my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo112 View Post
I found this from another forum. I think this poster nailed it regarding how the costumes turned out with the muscle proportions:

"The only thing I can think of is that this was intended to only be a black suit release, so they exaggerated the muscles because they would be harder to see in the black suit. Then they decided to also offer the blue and red suit, and it?s just over pronounced in that color scheme. The body definitely looks better on the black suit version, so it makes sense."

The fact that its not mixed media helped me pull the trigger. I always say sculpted is better than fabric because too much of it crosses into the doll territory for me. Because of how much I love this statue, I can accept the cape. Never owned a piece with rooted hair either (again, doll territory) but in this case I think I'll be happy with the result.

You're right about the costume. For the most part I like the improvements. I know they're basing it from the Justice League but this one brings me to the end credits from Black Adam.

Not the biggest fan of the heat vision portrait.

I used to have multiple Superman Statues but when I think about it, this JND Version is everything I wanted in a Superman Piece.

Its the perfect concept. Love the flying effect, its not too dynamic but at the same time it projects Superman's Power. But most importantly, JND did a solid job bringing Cavill to life. He's one of, if not my favorite memory of Superman.

Yeah, if I had to choose one, its the Blue, but man if I could, I'd get both. Display them in different rooms. No wrong choice here.
I wasnt a fan of the heat vision on the reveal, cause maybe cause of the lighting in the video, it looked like a zombie Superman. But on the exhibition, I thought it looked much better and looked great on the black suit.
Yeah, I think we all can wish we can get both, cause this is certainly a piece where you get the best of both worlds by having extreme difference between the same statue. Congrats on those who are able to get both.