Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #341
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This is actually how I feel. The sad part is now that I've recently passed on three different statues that I would have purchased at $400, I feel like I've crossed over into a "don't need this" zone. It's become easier to pass on pieces. Think of it like surviving the first week of having quit smoking. It gets easier to say "no" once you've done so a few times. I imagine I'm not alone.

Instead of getting me to pay $1200 for 3 statues, they're getting $0. That $1200 (or $1500, depending on your perspective on how to view this) will either be spent somewhere else or remain in my pocket.

Also, at this level of pricing, I imagine fans would scrutinize the final product even more. There's little worse than paying more than what you think something is worth and then to get a subpar produced product.
You are definitely not alone. You've described the way I purchase my collectibles (especially from Sideshow) to the letter. It's so much easier to pass on pieces now due to these price hikes and I am a lot more scrutinizing about details than I ever was before.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:42 AM   #342
built2shred
Phoenix

It seemed to me that SS prices hovered around the $350-$380 mark for a long time but then in a blink of the eye it jumped to the $500 range... I know a few statues were in the $400's but it seemed like that only lasted maybe 3-4 months before the $500+ became the norm... I honestly don't see much difference with these $500 PF's then the $350 PF's we had a few years back.. (with exceptions of course)

I'm personally having more fun with the 1/6 - 1/10 statues, with digital printing the details can sometimes rival the bigger 1/4 scale... they cost cheaper and take up less space yet fill my addiction for this hobby.. I'll still buy some 1/4 scale statues here and there but they have to be "Must Haves" type of statues... kind of like SS Red Sonja or XM's Catwoman on the bike...

The rest I'm just passing on.... just getting to expensive..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #343
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

if $500 is the new normal there will be very few I buy direct through Sideshow. Will be buying through dealer or ebay at a discount and even then it'll have to be a statue I have to have.
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 AM   #344
Comicbookguy
Hercules

WTF???? The price???? I just saw this now.. Wow... nuff said. If I have nothing nice to say, I better just not say anything at all. Ok congrats to those who po. She was recieved very well by fans. So time to hike it back up to the 500.00 price point. What a evil thing to do.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #345
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy77 View Post
if $500 is the new normal there will be very few I buy direct through Sideshow. Will be buying through dealer or ebay at a discount and even then it'll have to be a statue I have to have.
yes these are great statues but just not worth 500.00 and shipping imo. I already do what you mention above now. I have one po left with SS (Darksied ex) and I'm done with the pf at 500.00. Before I had like the norm 15 plus on po with SS at all times. The other po's are all prime 1. The rest of the awesome statues SS puts out I will still want, just but not buying direct.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #346
darren1228
Zot

double post
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #347
spidermonkey
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This is actually how I feel. The sad part is now that I've recently passed on three different statues that I would have purchased at $400, I feel like I've crossed over into a "don't need this" zone. It's become easier to pass on pieces. Think of it like surviving the first week of having quit smoking. It gets easier to say "no" once you've done so a few times. I imagine I'm not alone.

Instead of getting me to pay $1200 for 3 statues, they're getting $0. That $1200 (or $1500, depending on your perspective) will either be spent somewhere else or remain in my pocket.

P.S. Also, at this level of pricing, I imagine fans would likely feel compelled to scrutinize the final product even more than usual. I sure hope those willing to pay $500 plus taxes/shipping are getting what they think they paid for.

This is an excellent post. Also it sums up how I feel about purchases with SS lately. I would have gotten Green Goblin, Captain Marvel, and Phoenix. That's just lately though. I already had the mindset to get 90% of the court of the dead line now it's pretty much done for me. The truth is though it's not money saved it's just going to other companies who have imo made way more impressive pieces lately.
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:10 AM   #348
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
as far as the discount code is concerned:

you have to use Explorer (maybe Chrome as well) but not Firefox.

Pick an item that has been on pre-order for a few months. Put it in your cart and wait....a pop up discount code MIGHT show...if not try again...and again...

it only works for select items, with spidey, green goblin, and sabretooth being some of them..
For those asking about the code ambasah explains it really well. Browsers I've used include Chrome and Safari.

Basically for the past month or so I've been opening up my browser and leaving the SS website on with Green Goblin in my cart. Nothing happened until yesterday so I'm guessing he wasn't eligible for discounts until now. I actually got it to work twice yesterday. The first time the discount screen disappeared as soon as it came up. Kept trying and about an hour or two later the discount screen came up again. It'll ask you for your email and they'll send you the code.

So far I've gotten it to work with Sabretooth and GG. Good luck guys.
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:24 AM   #349
SONICobra
Batman

holy crap it worked, saved $48 off sabretooth! thanks guys!

lol this is a total derailment so ill try to get back on track, if they ever offer gamora at 20% off ill pick it up
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #350
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

I don't know why but I feel the base is not that great and feels cheap to me... I like this statue but really couldn't justify $550 for this piece ! I'm sure there is many who love this but you just need to justify and ask if the price is worth it in the end! Now that the new norm of pricing statues is among us everyone will be more cautious before ordering pieces I think!!

Sarah
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote