Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #341
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
I feel like a lot of people here are missing the point in order to rush towards stereotyping Millenials and Gen Z. Is there even any evidence that Sideshow's model doesn't work other than a salty forum (all forums are salty).

Any indication statue demand is dropping? Prime 1 dropping an entire Batman Metal like sure doesn't tell me that. Or 6000 Gambit PFs at $700. Iron Studios' massive X-men battle scene for $6k?

Nerdy stuff is not going anywhere. Videogames and comic book movies are bigger than ever. Fandom has only increased, even as the diversity of options has exploded. Comics didn't even hit their heyday with the boomers, they hit it with the Silent Generation. The 90's was only a brief bubble compared to the days when the biggest competition was the radio (before widespread home TV). Comics have not mattered from a sales perspective for 25 years.

It's well established that there is a lag time between childhood and nostalgia that can be milked once people have significant disposable income. The idea that 20 years from now people are only going to be interested in their instagram history is complete nonsense.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #342
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Funko would like to have a word with some of you.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #343
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
^ All of this.
Some truth to this but sales have dropped for statues (look at how many collector companies have gone out of business in last 3 years). Problem is more about price than age though. Prices have gone through the roof. Has put many people out and they won’t be back once out. Multiple reasons costs have gone up.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #344
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

“Nothing lasts forever”. - The Pet Rock
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #345
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

There will always be a market for exceptional pieces.

Just look at the JND 1/3 scale Wonder Woman piece. Just yesterday, all 700 units have pretty much sold out in under a day, and retail was $1899.99!, with a lot paying more than that from their local resellers as they covered shipping. Like Spec had it for $2,200 USD.

It’s like the Infinity WW bust which was 50% more and sold out in half the time, with a slightly smaller edition size.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #346
Silentpigwalker
Fantastic Four

Where is the excitement almost half way threw this event and its a bore fest pooptacular if you will. I hope there 12 days of christmas event is better than this...
Silentpigwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #347
The World
Justice League

Younger people not being interested in buying statues is absurd to state.

There are more statues of Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and even newer popular anime on the market than I can count. Even multiples of the same character are shown off on the same day.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #348
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentpigwalker View Post
Where is the excitement almost half way threw this event and its a bore fest pooptacular if you will. I hope there 12 days of christmas event is better than this...
It seems Spook has tapered down on rewards and like many of their events have increased their social media ‘events’. But unfortunately many of us are used to watching better entertaining productions (even on YouTube) and imo their current marketing target isn’t me who has almost a zero social media presence unlike many today.

My Facebook is barely used, as I use it to keep up to date with new pieces etc, and heck it was the sole reason I created an account in the first place. I’ve never looked at Twitter, or Instagram or all those new ones that have been appearing the last couple of years.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #349
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
Younger people not being interested in buying statues is absurd to state.

There are more statues of Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and even newer popular anime on the market than I can count. Even multiples of the same character are shown off on the same day.
Some of those Anime or the Manga that they’re based off of are like 20-30 years old (or even older)! So even in the West, many of the kids in the 90’s are close to hitting their 40’s now.

And I’m close to that age bracket and I still watch Anime from time to time, as Anime as a genre hasn’t really been restricted by age unlike most western cartoons from back in the day.

And the market for that stuff in South East Asia etc is off the charts and is collected by all ages, as there’s less of a stigma attached to it.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #350
Atlantisatdawn
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
It seems Spook has tapered down on rewards and like many of their events have increased their social media ‘events’. But unfortunately many of us are used to watching better entertaining productions (even on YouTube) and imo their current marketing target isn’t me who has almost a zero social media presence unlike many today.

My Facebook is barely used, as I use it to keep up to date with new pieces etc, and heck it was the sole reason I created an account in the first place. I’ve never looked at Twitter, or Instagram or all those new ones that have been appearing the last couple of years.
Good post! Most of the comments like mine who are unhappy with these events are not saying there wont be a new generation of people who buy statues after us, but simply this type of marketing is just bad for this type of company, when my daughter was young she never once said "hey dad can I get a statue" she wanted something from the toy aisle, I think some of the comments that are suggesting we are a very small part of there sales base are way off the mark, even sideshows stuff that isnt premium formats is usually overpriced stuff that younger people absolutely will not buy, I wish sideshow luck, but if they really wanna make money and thank there fans as somebody said spooktacular is about, then give fans what they want, give the marvel fans that rare character they've been waiting for etc... I dont watch livestreams and rewards points are cool, but I dont need them, I will happily pay full price if the COTD releases a epic new piece, and if not I'll spend my money somewhere else or save it
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote