Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Friends of Northstar

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #3521
JonoJ108
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
Hah. I was singing the Lupone version of 'Some People' yesterday.

I still like the Bette version, though.

NOBODY'S better than Patti.

"Small World" is so pretty.

you should know queens take their divas seriously, just call me "Jase" about this.

oh, i kid!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #3522
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoJ108 View Post
Thor's insurance check arrived today!

and I WIN the Who's-Queerest Contest, at least for right now: I'm singing "Gypsy" along w/ Patti.

"Goooooooodbyyyyyyyyyyye to blueberry piiiiiiiiiiiiiieee!"
You got me beat. I was listening to Hoobastank and Lifehouse, lol
Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #3523
JonoJ108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
You got me beat. I was listening to Hoobastank and Lifehouse, lol
sounds like a detective team from 1970.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #3524
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:

NOBODY'S better than Patti.

"Small World" is so pretty.

you should know queens take their divas seriously, just call me "Jase" about this.

oh, i kid!!!
You're a younger gay; I'll forgive the slight to the Divine Miss M. (At least, you're younger than I am.)

I run hot and cold on Lupone. Sometimes I love her; sometimes I want to jam forks in my ears when she starts singing. (Especially anything from Evita! YAWN. Wake me when the revolution is over.)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #3525
JonoJ108

Quote:
You're a younger gay; I'll forgive the slight to the Divine Miss M. (At least, you're younger than I am.)

I run hot and cold on Lupone. Sometimes I love her; sometimes I want to jam forks in my ears when she starts singing. (Especially anything from Evita! YAWN. Wake me when the revolution is over.)
that's it, we're THROUGH.

Patti in Evita is flawless--she belts THE WHOLE THING! she didn't WRITE it, but she sure as hell made it immortal. does anyone remember or even speak of the revival?

she's an acquired taste, that's for sure. but i acquired it, and not Bernadette, not Betty, not Audra (speaking of zzzzzzzzzz), not Linda Eder or Kristin Chenoweth or awful, flat, screamy Idina Menzel will ever unseat her.

i went to a concert of hers at Lincoln Ctr years ago, when she was touring "Matters of the Heart"--Real Emotional Girl, the Last Time I Saw Richard, and Easy to Be Hard were unbelievable.

Patti also has her "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" concert, where she sings songs from shows she's never been in. While her Ladies Who Lunch was almost unforgivably blah (she SAT to sing it!), she did Anita's & Maria's duet from "West Side Story" (brilliant! hilarious!) & Soliloquy from "Carousel"--frakkin beautiful.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #3526
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
that's it, we're THROUGH.

Can't we just agree to have separate tastes in musical divas? I love Bette and Kristen. Not so much Bernadette or Idina, although I love BP in Into the Woods, and Idina in Wicked.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #3527
bat_collector
Galactus

who the heck aer all those people you just mentioned!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #3528
JonoJ108

Quote:
also, Bette's Gypsy is both keyed way down & SLOW. i love Bette--Shiver Me Timbers, anyone?--but while any belter can sing Some People, her Rose's Turn is kinda weak. i hated her "...Ma-ma!"
Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #3529
JonoJ108

Quote:

Can't we just agree to have separate tastes in musical divas? I love Bette and Kristen. Not so much Bernadette or Idina, although I love BP in Into the Woods, and Idina in Wicked.
yes, we must agree; i hope Patti someday gets the chance to do Desiree in "A Little Night Music." that needs a big revival, the music is so gorgeous! plus, The Miller's Son is an 11th-hour starmaker for some little diva.

Kristen Chenoweth needs to do something else to convince me. personally i thought she might've made a good Nellie Forbush, but i guess she's not serious enough for Lincoln Ctr.

BP's Into the Woods = perfect;

IM's Wicked = everyone hoodwinked, she's FLAT as KANSAS, just LOUD!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #3530
JonoJ108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
who the heck aer all those people you just mentioned!!!
ShowQueen Preschool:

Patti LuPone is ultimate & current reigning B'way diva, starred in orig 1980 Evita, major 88 revival of Anything Goes, famously fired from early-90s Bway run of Sunset Blvd (she wasn't great, bad show), won 2nd Tony last season for big, controversial revival of Gypsy;

Bernadett Peters starred in most recent Gypsy before Patti, tho is totally wrong for the part. she's sort of a cutie-pie siren. also a belter, most famous for Sunday in the Park w/ George, won a Tony for Song & Dance, took 2nd lead in Into the Woods, won 2nd Tony for Annie Get Your Gun;

Betty Buckley is 3rd corner of the great pink Bway triangle; she was Bway Grizabella in Cats, so thank her for every time you've heard "Memory;" hasn't had such a great Bway career since, notable for starring in historic flop of the musical of Carrie;

Audra McDonald came out of Juilliard & has tied legends Gwen Verdon & Angela Lansbury for Tonys, having already won 4, for Carousel (she did a great Mr. Snow), Master Class, Ragtime (You Are Your Daddy's Sooooooonnnnnnnn), & Raisin in the Sun. While folks go over the moon for her, i find a soprano hard to listen to for a long time. i like her best doing one or two songs, like "Happiness" in the concert of Passion w/ Patti.

Idina Menzel was Elphaba (& stole the Tony from Tonya Pinkins) in Wicked. She came out of the orig cast of Rent. she's a screamer but people like her.

Kristen Chenoweth is little perky Christian blonde light opera/musical-comedy star from Oklahoma, became the comic toast of Bway a few years ago (alongside adorable Roger Bart) as Sally in the Peanuts musical; then she was 2nd lead in Wicked; her perf in Candide (also w/ Patti!) was great.

the rest don't really matter that much.
Closed Thread