Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-19-2024, 02:25 PM   #3911
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
I'll give it the same rating, however...

Spoiler
I was disappointed that it ultimately didn't have a supernatural/eldritch horror culprit in the end...could've been pretty cool, especially with the connections to Season 1, though I suppose it's not that type of show. That said, it was a captivating show for most of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
I thought it started strong but trailed off (with a lot of open questions related to the supernatural elements). 7/10.
The showunner said that the series can be read either way:

"There's a read of the events in the series, same as with the original True Detective, by the way, that absolutely sticks to reality," showrunner Issa Lopez said during a roundtable interview ahead of the season premiere. "There's a real explanation for every single event in the series that does not require the presence of the supernatural. But there's a read where every event is related to what I call a wider world, and it's up to you, like an inkblot test, to decide which series you're watching."
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM   #3912
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
The showunner said that the series can be read either way:

"There's a real explanation for every single event in the series that does not require the presence of the supernatural. But there's a read where every event is related to what I call a wider world, and it's up to you, like an inkblot test, to decide which series you're watching."
I can respect that, but it also feels like a bit of a copout.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:06 AM   #3913
Y3E
Gen 13

For All Mankind Season 4 - 8/10

Season 5 can't come soon enough
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:26 PM   #3914
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

True Detective S4 7.5/10. Enjoyed it but there were parts that were just too paranormal for a normal detective show for me.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #3915
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Avatar - The last airbender 9/10
Episodes 1 to 8

I'm a big fan of the anime series and was really looking forward to the live adaptation and wasn't disappointed. The finale is particularly great.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #3916
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Episodes 1 to 8

I'm a big fan of the anime series and was really looking forward to the live adaptation and wasn't disappointed. The finale is particularly great.
Nice! I'm currently watching the anime series for the first time and just finished Season 2...loving it so far. I'll check out the Netflix show when I'm done.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:43 PM   #3917
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Episodes 1 to 8

Thank gawd. Watching it now.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:23 PM   #3918
Demona
Lex Luthor

Servant (AppleTV+):

Season 1: 8/10
Season 2: 6/10
Season 3: 8/10
Season 4: 9/10

I'm on a four weeks sabbatical from work due to surgery. What better reason to catch up on shows that my hubby has no interest in since I've got all the time in the world?!

Servant has been on my radar to watch for a while. I'm glad I waited until all of the series released to watch it because I could see me losing track of this show if I watched real-time. That's not because it's a bad show, far from it. It's a show with a slow burn and I think is best watched back-to-back. Which is super easy with each episode being only 30 minutes and each season having only 10 episodes.

The acting is great. The premise is one that has been used a bunch of times before, but the acting and visuals are great. Season 2 was all over the place, but the show gets right back on track with Season 3 and rolls right through on Season 4.

Next up on my watch list - this time with my hubby - is For All Mankind.

Sidenote: Is there a dud show on this streaming service? I have yet to find one. Which is great!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:32 PM   #3919
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Next up on my watch list - this time with my hubby - is For All Mankind.

Sidenote: Is there a dud show on this streaming service? I have yet to find one. Which is great!
Hope your recuperation goes well! Servant was really good, and I adore For All Mankind. Apple has become my favorite streamer, the quality is top notch, and they're still one of the cheaper platforms as well.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:32 PM   #3920
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Started 'For All Mankind' recently, after seeing so many here praise it. Just began Season 3.

I like it, but I felt a couple times during season 2 that it nearly jumped the shark. Too much banal melodrama. I much preferred season one, which had more high tension regarding missions. Season 1 was also more technical, which I appreciate.

As it goes on, and diverges from real history, it seems like it will lean more into interpersonal drama, which I find less interesting. It's a reach, keeping Karen involved as she is. They're serving the actress, not the story. Maybe I'll change my mind after 3 and 4?

But, as a science and space fanatic, this is the kind of show that needs to do well to inspire generations. I hope it's doing that.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote