Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #31
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Seriously though, that was the last really good TV they had and it still wasn't better than Panasonics tube TV's.
You’re right about that, man. That’s why I got’s my Panasonic 32” plasma!

But what I meant was, a few years back, the Sony XBR series was the best thing going!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #32
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. After a little research and your opinions, I think I am leaning toward plasma.
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #33
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
You’re right about that, man. That’s why I got’s my Panasonic 32” plasma!

But what I meant was, a few years back, the Sony XBR series was the best thing going!
Good man.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #34
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Don't believe the hype, especially from Sony.

They're like the fast food of TV's. Even if I were to buy an LCD I wouldn't buy a Sony. So many companies have passed Sony over the years especially in the TV game it's not even funny. LG a re-launched brand (used to be Goldstar) that's only a few years old under the LG name and they already passed Sony bang for your buck wise and quality. I do notice LG getting cute with their prices lately – I think they’re getting a bit ****y.
What are you talking about? Sony may be in the doghouse right now, and Blu-ray sucks, but they still make great TVs. Their Bravia XBRs are awesome and the new SXRDs are beautiful sets.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #35
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Well they are up to XBR2 and XBR3 and I don't know if you've seen any but they are damn nice sets.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #36
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
Well they are up to XBR2 and XBR3 and I don't know if you've seen any but they are damn nice sets.
I haven't been looking but I'm sure thay are sweet. Like I said, they were the best thing going a few years back.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #37
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
What are you talking about? Sony may be in the doghouse right now, and Blu-ray sucks, but they still make great TVs. Their Bravia XBRs are awesome and the new SXRDs are beautiful sets.
I’m not saying they’re trash and those probably are nice TV’s but what I’m saying is that you can get a better TV from other companies and for less money to boot.

Why would you want to pay more Sony when theres better cheaper TVs?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #38
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellin71 View Post
You figure 24,000 hours at 5 hours a day. That's 13 years. I've never had a tv that long. 65000 hours @ 5 hours a day is 35 years. Thats amazing, if accurate.
If you live by yourself, you could use a 5 hour a day average. But with a family, there is a television on in the house from 7:30 AM until 2:00 AM. That's almost 4 time as much usage.

BTW, The TV I am watching right now, I bought on my Birthday in 1989. I'd love to get a bigger TV, but I can't justify spending the money because there isn't anything wrong with this one.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #39
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Samsung is the compnay to go with...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #40
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

LCD gets my recommendation, hands down.

I have a 60" LCD now, it's not a flat-panel but it's an excellent TV. Is there a reason you must go with a wall-mounted TV? Going with a more traditional display gives you SO many more options. I bought my 60" Sony Wega HD LCD about a year and half ago for $3,000, it's a phenomenal picture and LCD technology is getting better every day.

I've been considering a flat-panel as well for our bedroom, and have weighed these characteristics between plasma and LCD:

Plasma: Burn-in risk, shorter life span, heavier & hotter machines, and a LOT of glare

LCD: Brighter picture, long life span, virtually glare-free (a big plus for me).

Now, Plasmas admittedly have excellent pictures (as long as you happen to be in a dark room with no windows ), and they have deeper blacks than most others.... But the cons listed above were just too much for me, and I think I'm going with another LCD for the bedroom.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote