Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
HarleyQuinn
The Spirit

Just received. Really gorgeous. The shoes and slacks were well done and the base was cute and business as usual. I must say I love the (First Name) (Pic) (last name) format (WW, Black Canary) better than the (two names) (pic) format (Both HQ's, HQ+ Joker) because its easier to read.

The black lines of the vest were really deep but that's something easily ignorable. Newspaper print was clean and the paper itself had an old time yellowish quality to it that was quite retro and not in the pics. Good surprise. The hair was made into a cute twist. The paper itself and the ponytail bend slightly at the seams like all fragile pieces do so be very careful of that.

Bonus- Loved the deep gold and deep blue packaging- really similar to 40's Superman. it does kinda suck though if you have all of these in order like I do because Mera's trident and the paper collide so I hadto switch the 2.

To Conclude- Beautifully done! Just peaking my excitement for Batwoman coming soon.
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
risingstar
Jedi Order

Great design fro a statue. Not many stand-alone Lois statues out there.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #33
HarleyQuinn
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Great design fro a statue. Not many stand-alone Lois statues out there.
Just realized how true this is. The only other one that even comes up is the animated series maquette from forever ago. Her and Stargirl are the only ones who have never gotten so much as a bust that this line has done justice to. This will also be true with Killer Frost next year.
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #34
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

I don't know what it is, but I just find this entire line to be really cheesy. Not to mention, I just can't stand name plates. Its my single biggest pet peeve in the entire statue industry. They completely ruin statues for me. Its not like I'm going to forget who they are and need some big a*s name plate to remind me.

Don't get me wrong, clearly there are collectors out there that like them so I have no problem with companies including a name plate. Just make it so actually displaying it is optional. Not that it really matters in this case as again, I just find this entire line to be really really cheesy.

Ultimately, just another easy pass for me.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #35
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I don't know what it is, but I just find this entire line to be really cheesy. Not to mention, I just can't stand name plates. Its my single biggest pet peeve in the entire statue industry. They completely ruin statues for me. Its not like I'm going to forget who they are and need some big a*s name plate to remind me.
I just think you are missing, or don't care for, the whole concept/design going on here (likely the latter). Which is fine. I don't think the nameplates are there as ID tags It's part of the "look".

IMO some people like re-imagined/variant characters, and some don't. Then there are those in between (liking some variants, and not others). Nothing wrong with that....

I personally only love some of this line. If they are going to call it bombshells, then they should have that look. If they want to rename it the retro line, then more would fit in that category....
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #36
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I just think you are missing, or don't care for, the whole concept/design going on here (likely the latter). Which is fine. I don't think the nameplates are there as ID tags It's part of the "look".

IMO some people like re-imagined/variant characters, and some don't. Then there are those in between (liking some variants, and not others). Nothing wrong with that....

I personally only love some of this line. If they are going to call it bombshells, then they should have that look. If they want to rename it the retro line, then more would fit in that category....
Nameplates are always there for looks, but they ultimately remind me of name tags, which is why I hate them so much. IMO, they are just so unnecessary and ultimately take my focus right out of the piece itself. Again, I understand that some people like them and thats all good. All the companies have to do is make them detachable/optional, which would be very easy to do with most pieces, and I am all good. If its not optional, its an automatic pass no matter how much I like the piece. Again, easily my biggest pet peeve in the entire industry. Just can't stand them, like to the point of utter hatred, lol.

As for the line itself, again I can't put my finger on it as all of the pieces are actually really different from one another. They just have a very cheesy appearance/feeling to me. I will admit that this is one of the nicer pieces in the series. Lois doesn't have as much of a cheesy feeling to me as some of the other statues. And there are a couple others that aren't so bad either, but still nothing I would ever buy.

To each their own! I respect that everyone has different tastes and opinions. This line just isn't for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #37
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Nameplates are always there for looks, but they ultimately remind me of name tags, which is why I hate them so much. IMO, they are just so unnecessary and ultimately take my focus right out of the piece itself. Again, I understand that some people like them and thats all good. All the companies have to do is make them detachable/optional, which would be very easy to do with most pieces, and I am all good. If its not optional, its an automatic pass no matter how much I like the piece. Again, easily my biggest pet peeve in the entire industry. Just can't stand them, like to the point of utter hatred, lol.

As for the line itself, again I can't put my finger on it as all of the pieces are actually really different from one another. They just have a very cheesy appearance/feeling to me. I will admit that this is one of the nicer pieces in the series. Lois doesn't have as much of a cheesy feeling to me as some of the other statues. And there are a couple others that aren't so bad either, but still nothing I would ever buy.

To each their own! I respect that everyone has different tastes and opinions. This line just isn't for me.
Fair enough. I'm not really one to talk, anyway, seeing as how much I dislike certain lines, in the same way.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #38
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Fair enough. I'm not really one to talk, anyway, seeing as how much I dislike certain lines, in the same way.
Yeah, I guess thats one of the main reasons why so many different lines being available is such a good thing for the hobby in general. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, which is ultimately a good thing in my book. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone had the same taste and always agreed on everything art wise.