Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

View Poll Results: Best Captain: Kirk or Picard?
Captain James T. Kirk 29 53.70%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #31
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

PICARD
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
RC212
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I am a child of the 80's and i will admit that proudly. and let me put my answer this way... There was a point when i could see any 30 seconds of an episode of ST:TNG and be able to tell you the name of the ep the season, and what was going on... but if someone called me a Trekkie I would punch them in the face... TREKKER.... TREKKER... thus Picard to me is the better captian, and I would point to the first TNG movie Generations, if you watch this then you will have to agree that Picard knew better what was going on at any point in time than Kirk...
RC212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #33
3clipZ
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

KIRK all the way!

3clipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #34
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Kirk!

-Kirk
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #35
3clipZ
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

By the way there is a "100 reasons why Kirk is better than Picard" list.

http://www.comedycorner.org/12.html

Some funny stuff......even for Picard fans.
3clipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #36
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Picard all the way
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #37
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

picard
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #38
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

can someone remove that fooking soundbite?! it's doing my head in!!!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #39
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

My input is based solely on the TV series for both and not the movies which all stunk for both series.

If you're going for boring, predictable, follow all the rules and be totally PC in everything you do, then Picard is your captain. Never rash and rarely offensive to others. Of course, Riker would kick his rear in war games because of his out of the box thinking and ability to use subterfuge.

Picard also had no issue with sacrificing the Enterprise which annoys the heck out of anyone who knows how Naval captains feel about their ships.

Kirk on the other hand was like Sinbad in space. Adventurous, courageous, curious, and clever. Sure he was brash, but in the end, his diplomacy and strategic mind always won out. And yes, he did consult with his bridge crew for options but it was clear it wasn't a group decision, it was his in the end -- just like in real life. Leaders are held responsible for their actions and I think you'll find that Captains of Aircraft Carriers and Submarines call the shots like Kirk did. i.e. Get input on the situation, then call the shots.

Also, the Enterprise was everything to Kirk. Sure he had his romantic affairs, just about wherever there was a female involved, but in the end the Enterprise was his deepest love. He would never sacrifce the Enterprise for any reason. He was also supremely confident that no matter what the situation, he and his crew would find a way to overcome the obstacles and win.

All in all the old ST crew seemed more interesting to watch. More "real" in many ways than the totally PC crew of TNG -- PC = to me. Heck, TNG started off so goody goody two shoes that they had to re-introduce the Romulans because there weren't any good villains in the show. And then they had to introduce the Borg because the Romulans weren't really doing it for folks. Once they did that, then the show got interesting.

TNG = Boring captain (decent support roles though with Riker, Data, and Worf), good special effects, lame humor, and lame stories (except for a few notable episodes).

ST (the first series) = Dynamic characters, OK special effects for the time, good humor, and overall good stories (except for the third season when things started to go dooooowwwwn hill).

And BTW -- If Picard was French, why was he soooo enthralled with the English???
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #40
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I prefer TNG over TOS any day of the week but Picard did talk a bit too much....

Kirk had balls!

My vote is for Kirk.

I think seasons 3 and 4 were the best of TNG. Like TOS, perfect cast.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote