Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #31
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

for a 1 time thing it was a good idea.

But I have a feeling they wont be doing it again... instead they will probably just make a large ES on the really popular prints, something like 2000-3000.

With an ES that high you should be able to get one if your on the site within the first minutes, instead of getting denied after pushing F5 for an hour.
Prevail69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #32
Awesome
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevail69 View Post
for a 1 time thing it was a good idea.

But I have a feeling they wont be doing it again... instead they will probably just make a large ES on the really popular prints, something like 2000-3000.

With an ES that high you should be able to get one if your on the site within the first minutes, instead of getting denied after pushing F5 for an hour.
That's still way too much, they should be okay with making the edition size's on certain posters an extra 100 to shut the complainers mouths but posters like The Thing exclusive and runs like the variant Dark Knight will be the same low numbers.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Honestly Awesome, I don't know why you are so bent out of shape about this. Year to date Mondo has produced over 90 prints of a very limited/exclusive nature and 1 that was an open timed release. ONE!

That one release is being applauded by thousands and decried by a handful of folks. Having said that if you are that choked about this Moss TDKR release tactic there are a couple of the SDCC exclusive versions on eBay for your purchasing pleasure at a mere $700 -$1000.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Honestly Awesome, I don't know why you are so bent out of shape about this. Year to date Mondo has produced over 90 prints of a very limited/exclusive nature and 1 that was an open timed release. ONE!

That one release is being applauded by thousands and decried by a handful of folks. Having said that if you are that choked about this Moss TDKR release tactic there are a couple of the SDCC exclusive versions on eBay for your purchasing pleasure at a mere $700 -$1000.
Like I said in my previous post, I wouldn't care if Mondo changed their business tactics because I wouldn't be the one losing their customers that made them popular in the first place.

It's just ridiculous that people come onto the limited collectible scene and complain for change to make the product unlimited because they couldn't get what they want. Just like these people on the statue forums saying it's okay for Sideshow to make everything an open edition defeats the purpose of the damn hobby.

Pissed off that you couldn't get that Stout poster on Mondo that had a total edition size of 800? Sorry, but don't start to complain to Justin and friends that they should change the way they operate their business just because you keep missing out on their 'limited' edition posters. Don't spoil it for the rest of us that enjoy the hunting game for the rare posters.

You like the art and want to display it? Then go to Kinko's and get it printed so you can hang it on your wall. For everybody saying that Mondo alienates customers, there will always be 500 to replace the one that stops trying to buy from their site so it's not a loss.

I wrote everything I can say on this topic so I won't be writing about it anymore. You can't always get what you want, and yes it blows ass sometimes.

to Matches Malone: I don't care about the timed edition that just happened, it's the people who are saying to make everything an open edition from now on, that is the problem. What they did was great business wise to get some more cash into their hands to line their pockets, once every year is fine.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
This poster is collectable and special for the simple fact that if they were bought by collectors those who didn't get in on the action will still be without and have to look to the secondary market for one and have to pay a collector a premium for one.
What's collectible and special is really based on a person's opinion. But let's look at the two recent big comic movie posters:

Dark Knight Rises
- Artist: Olly Moss. Known for minimalism.
- ES Variant: 9,350 size 16x24.
- ES Normal: 180 size 24x36
- No movie character likenesses and is closer to the Batman animated series in feel than the movie.

Avengers
- Artist: Tyler Stout. Most consider him Mondo's best artist.
- ES Normal: 750 size 24x36
- ES Variant: 350 size 24x36
- Approved movie character likenesses by each actor.

To me the special and collectible poster is obvious. Tyler Stout's Avengers poster is easily my favorite by him and I don't even like his artwork that much.

Also, I do believe that when you guys are talking about Mondo's pricing of posters. Simple economics plays a factor.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

We don't necessarily need to see a 24 hour release window that results in 9000 prints all the time, but the situation does need to be improved.

And I don't think anyone really minds a limited ES if it meant most of us had even a remote chance of success. But we don't, because a big chunk of that ES gets snaffled by flippers who then throw it on eBay 2 minutes later for 10 times the price.

We all know this, mondo knows this and yet it happens time and time again. And tracking down a $60 print on eBay for $399 is not an enjoyable hunting game. It's a begrudging 'damn I'm getting reamed again but what choice do I have' feeling compounded by the 'for fvcks sake, I just spent 3 hours hitting F5 all for nothing' feeling which I wouldn't described as thrilling either.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #37
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I certainly did not enjoy paying out $300 for a $60 poster. Internationals have little to no chance at getting one of these during a mondo drop. I say print to order or at least have a 2-3 hour window to give those that one a chance to order it.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #38
madmanny

My understanding is that this was a experiment

This will not be implemented on all posters.

But we will "likely" see this type of drop again.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
ReplicantSavior

I think for the majority of Mondo posters buying right after the drop is a bad idea. Flippers count on that need to get the poster if the drop is missed. Almost all the Avengers character posters seem to be dropping in price.

A friend of mine got the Forbidden Planet poster too. He waited till the poster almost shipped before getting it on eBay for around $10 or so more than normal but far less than I paid for the AP.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I certainly did not enjoy paying out $300 for a $60 poster. Internationals have little to no chance at getting one of these during a mondo drop. I say print to order or at least have a 2-3 hour window to give those that one a chance to order it.

Internationals shouldn't be allowed to have collections.
They should be made to watch others enjoy their's, especially Australians.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote