Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #31
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
No beat-down, just a gentlemanly disagreement.. Have you sen the original Frazetta source material? Conan's puss in that one has always struck me as odd, but I chalk it up to the face of a war-drunk berzerker. I think Clay pretty much nailed it.
The pose is dead-on Frazetta;
arms outstretched completely offensively...ready to lopp heads and take names. The horse is in an utter state of panic. Conan has ridden her in to a situationo she's rather not be in. Conan is just plain wild in this painting/sculpt/situation. The Moore sculpt does a damn good job capturing it, i.m.o..

YOU nailed it with those words protector.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
gatchaman
Doh!

You're correct sir. He did nail it. I had not seen the source material. I guess I just really dislike the source material that much. I'm no Frazetta expert, but I would think there have to be more popular poses aren't there? I'm certain there are plenty who disagree, but I found at least one other outlet with the same opinion. The chaps at IO9.com think it's outright creepy. Link: http://io9.com/5153416/toys-that-mad...rtable-at-nycc
gatchaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
Nitefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchaman View Post
You're correct sir. He did nail it. I had not seen the source material. I guess I just really dislike the source material that much. I'm no Frazetta expert, but I would think there have to be more popular poses aren't there? I'm certain there are plenty who disagree, but I found at least one other outlet with the same opinion. The chaps at IO9.com think it's outright creepy. Link: http://io9.com/5153416/toys-that-mad...rtable-at-nycc
I'm no Frazetta expert also but the difficult part for me is choosing my favorite painting of the many. That probably would be impossible for me to decide. Fun trying though.

If you are interested below is a good site. As to the popularity of each painting compared to others I don't know. More importantly for your appreciation is how you feel about them.

Enjoy! and welcome to the forum.
http://frankfrazetta.org/
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #34
Lin Kuei
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Great link Nitefall! I've got to say Frazetta and Adam Hughes have to be two of my favorite illustrators when it comes to translating the female form to paper/canvas. Frazeta's work is stunning and all-around gorgeous.

That Conan on horse illustration (and subsequently the Moore statue) I've never really "gotten". I'll give gatchaman credit for broaching the subject, because I probably wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. I just... don't understand the story being told with the illustration. Conan's facial expression suggests he's having a fit/seizure of fright and the placement of his limbs defies reason. Is he trying to fall off the horse? Doing jumping jacks? He's a WARrior. It just seems completely out of place in terms of a stylistic narrative and character context.

It's one of the weirdest statues I've ever seen, even with the much appreciated outlining of the original illustrations intent. And Moore did nail it, the likeness and mood is identical. It's a great sculpt, just not one I'd ever buy.
Lin Kuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #35
protector2814
Phoenix

Fair Enough......
I, personally, just can't wait.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #36
Nitefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Kuei View Post
Great link Nitefall! I've got to say Frazetta and Adam Hughes have to be two of my favorite illustrators when it comes to translating the female form to paper/canvas. Frazeta's work is stunning and all-around gorgeous.

That Conan on horse illustration (and subsequently the Moore statue) I've never really "gotten". I'll give gatchaman credit for broaching the subject, because I probably wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. I just... don't understand the story being told with the illustration. Conan's facial expression suggests he's having a fit/seizure of fright and the placement of his limbs defies reason. Is he trying to fall off the horse? Doing jumping jacks? He's a WARrior. It just seems completely out of place in terms of a stylistic narrative and character context.

It's one of the weirdest statues I've ever seen, even with the much appreciated outlining of the original illustrations intent. And Moore did nail it, the likeness and mood is identical. It's a great sculpt, just not one I'd ever buy.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Frazetta site Lin.

As to the painting (titled The Berserker) if this is a representation of a berserker in battle then the out spread arms, the shield turned away from danger and not holding onto the reins while sitting on a frightened horse are clear depictions of a berserkers behavior associated with the feeling of invulnerability when under the influence of this overwhelming, controlling frenzy. It sure would be madness to expose oneself like this if one was feeling normal. And the seizure, fit or mania expressed in the face hit the mark with you when you said you recognized it. Battle rage (berserker rage) is a type of seizure and I wouldn't know how to express it in a painting but Frazetta , to me, did it -- but on the other hand I have only read about it; never experienced.

I don't know if I see fear in the face but I see a type of madness and it is a scary expression. Again, to me, it involves in part being lost and in being completely controlled, not quite puzzled but certainly under the influence of huge feeling. Maybe this is why some use the word creepy. If this is so Frazetta hit it again.

Actually he has done covers for a mag called Creepy years ago which I noticed in an issue of Previews last year was being re-released in a collectors set. Another publication he did covers for was called Eerie .....if I recall correctly.

Do you have any of the other Frazetta statues?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #37
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

To answer a couple simple points --

1) Conan won't fall off the horse because of a couple things called stirrups.

2) The arms outstretched in this particular case are for balance as the horse plunges forward

3) The creepy look on Conan's face is because he's a barbarian and terrified of the supernatural (as explained many, many times in the books). He knows he has to battle these demonic foes and is litterally throwing himself into battle them with a mix of rage and fear.

Clay did a fantastic job on this peice.

Would I have liked to have seen some more texture on the horse - Yes, but it still rocks.
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #38
Nitefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramicus View Post
To answer a couple simple points --

1) Conan won't fall off the horse because of a couple things called stirrups.

2) The arms outstretched in this particular case are for balance as the horse plunges forward

3) The creepy look on Conan's face is because he's a barbarian and terrified of the supernatural (as explained many, many times in the books). He knows he has to battle these demonic foes and is litterally throwing himself into battle them with a mix of rage and fear.

Clay did a fantastic job on this peice.

Would I have liked to have seen some more texture on the horse - Yes, but it still rocks.
Makes sense to me!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #39
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Quote:
You know I don't post much and I'm sure to take a beating for this.. but I just had to say it... The new conan on horse is just about as homoerotic of a statue as I've ever seen. Something about the pose\face is just freakish.. I love moore and have a few statues but wow.. just.. wow. methinks the new conan has a life partner..Not that there's anything wrong with that <wink>
Everyone has a right to their opinion but maybe spending less time thinking about homo erotic poses and more on what art it is portraying and maybe know the story behind it, one would understand it a bit more. Doesn't mean you will like it but at least understand it.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #40
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
You know I don't post much and I'm sure to take a beating for this.. but I just had to say it... The new conan on horse is just about as homoerotic of a statue as I've ever seen. Something about the pose\face is just freakish.. I love moore and have a few statues but wow.. just.. wow. methinks the new conan has a life partner..Not that there's anything wrong with that <wink>
nah...conan just has the classic "oh sh*t" look on his face
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote